Secrets, puzzles, and other things you have to discover

+
I've been thinking about the long history of bonus and secret "levels" or now, content, in computer games.
One that comes to mind is Doom 2's Impossible Secret that took 24 years to solve. We are all, of course, quite familiar with this concept from various Mario games, and many other titles throughout the history of gaming with some secrets, like with Doom 2, taking years for players to solve.
One of the GTA games had a number of these that took years to solve, and it seems there's many also present in the RDR2 game.

I think it'd be nice if some attention were given to similar here in CP 2077.
What are some ways that secrets could be employed that might work well in the CP 2077 setting?

Certainly there's the soft secret that's merely an interesting location that somewhat tells its own story, or references something already extent in modern culture.
An extension of that are series of scavenger hunt locations that point subtly to others where some locations may have events that occur at a certain time in game, not necessarily any reward, or achievement, but, unmarked, unprompted clues for the player to follow and discover on their own that add those tiny freckles of personality to a game.
There are, of course, outright secrets, places, events, dialogue trees, special encounters, and even useful game items that are locked out from a character unless they jump through certain hoops, plumber pipes, whatever.
Again too, there's puzzles, puzzles most of us don't have the cognitive horsepower or patience to figure out that take place over many locations, that might not even look like puzzles to most of us, that we can only ever "solve" by depending on the industrious efforts of some Reddit group dedicated to figuring out.

What do you think about secret content, locations, hidden things, and other similar that aren't necessary to complete the game, aren't part of any quest, aren't part of any achievement list? Are they a worthwhile addition to the game? Do they only take away from development of something you want yesterday? What do you think about secret content in games?
Should CDPR endeavor to have some in CP 2077, and how much, how difficult/obscure/challenging?
I really like the idea of some secrets laying forgotten in a game for years until some obsessive folk finally wind up unraveling it.

Thanks. :)

I think the fact that Doom 2 got that much attention 24 YEARS after it came out is kinda the ultimate advertisement of incorporating something like this. I mean who knows.. maybe after 20 or so years there will be articles popping up about an "Impossible Secret" in Cyberpunk 2077 :p. I don't think there's any kind of monetary restrictions on implementing something like this.. a subtle hint here, an illusive visual que there.. it's more a direction thing. So.. why not? All the more reason if they go for that Immersive-sim/emergent gameplay angle of encouraging exploration of the environments.. it would be like the ultimate achievement.

What do you think about secret content, locations, hidden things, and other similar that aren't necessary to complete the game, aren't part of any quest, aren't part of any achievement list? Are they a worthwhile addition to the game? Do they only take away from development of something you want yesterday? What do you think about secret content in games?
Should CDPR endeavor to have some in CP 2077, and how much, how difficult/obscure/challenging?

Hey,
nice thread and thoughts :)

Personally, I don't like the over-funny-punny and/or anti-contextual stuff, or too non-fitting (obvious) references.

I guess that these quest paths, decisions or whatever are somewhat a need at the minimum to make the game somewhat replayable, but the scale can pretty much vary.

About the 24 years hidden content - well... no, if it takes 24 years for developers to hide and can potentionally never be found :)

I guess that as a serious topic, the main point could be to reference the world in itself.
I saw someone to post "Where is Jackie?" or something like that, referencing to some event and/or personality in the lore.

Bah, I guess that one of the best hidden things I have ever seen were the symbols in AC(2?). If I remember correctly, player could see it with the eagle eye. By finding them, he would reveal some "truth"/hidden sequence or whatever. That in my opinion fits the past/present setting and mysteriousness/atmosphere of many parts of the game.

But whatever, I guess and hope that CP will be of killing quality and will become the next GOTY.
Honestly, the 48min demo - while showing action mostly - caught my attention enough to be hungry for more :)

Ever since Ultima VII, I have loved this stuff, and that approach works great. They're not "side-quest", per say. Rather, they're simply accents tucked away in little corners that tell a visual story. Often, they come with a noticeable reward, like a rare or unique item, but they don't play into the story directly. They do add an amazing level of depth to the world, though.

I can appreciate breaking the 4th wall for humor when it fits, but I think it really requires a game like Fallout to go crazy with it. Since CP2077 takes place on alternate an alternate-reality Earth, though...I think there may be plenty of opportunity to put some really great Easter Eggs in there.

Top Bottom