See this? See That? You can't have that - Cyberpunk 2077

+
After playing for almost 200 hours I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Cyberpunk and I would recommend it to anyone, with some expectation-setting disclaimers. I find the story to be great, acting great, combat fun and obviously graphics are amazing.

But for myself one thing keeps eating at me beyond all the other issues I have with the game. And that is how the game continually bombards you with all these amazing things you can't own as V in the game. If I think about it too much it gets me really frustrated and keeps interfering with my time in the game.

Basically Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that continually shows you things that you should be able to get for V, but can't :

Cyberware :
No replacement limbs - Everywhere, all the time you will meet and pass residents of Night City sporting epic looking cybernetic arms and legs, ranging from budget to top-of-the-line models. You see them in adverts and on display hanging on the wall at ripperdocs. But you can't have any of them
No anti-smart-lock - Some enemies have cyberware that passively negates smart-locking but you can't have this yourself

Body Modifications :
No replacement skin - Constantly you run across NC residents with chrome skin, metal skin, partial metal skin, cybernetic tattoos and visual implants. But you can't have any of these either
No extreme stuff - The Animals and the Maelstrom have extreme body modifications which you don't have access to. Now I never thought I'd be able to become a walking tank like some of the animals, or make myself look like Savage, but if you were hoping to replace your face your outta luck.
Sex Upgrades - The game will advertise and have game elements based around the fact that in the world of Cyberpunk there are sex upgrades. you can't have em

Vehicles :
All over night city there are variations of the vehicles left and right. Special paint jobs and special models. You can't have any of these, you get a single vehicle look for each car to own. Want to own the epic bike from the poster, but the all-black version? tough luck

Clothing :
Practically every resident of Night City has access to clothes that are far cooler than the ones V can buy at the shops. Glowing hats and tops, see-through skirts, awesome hats, sweet looking pants and epic military gear. The range of fashion constantly in your face in this game only serves to highlight how few options your V has

Thankfully most of this can be fixed with future DLC. I hope they come through

I actually am more frustrated that you don't unlock the ultra luxe mansion at the end of the game. You pop there for 2 minutes, hop on a hover car thingy and that's the last time you see it. Missed opportunity right there.

I'm not even going to talk about other missed opportunities like not being able to sit at a bar, talk to the bartender before heading on a mission, maybe get a drink while at it. The animations are there, the bartender prepping the drink, V sitting like a normal person and CDPR is letting all that go to waste not allowing players to interact with the world for a bit. V is a human being after all, doing something normal every now and then should be fine with the plot right?

Bethesda has been doing that for ages, simple interactable objects the player can use to kill their time. This is really sad because players have requested such features even on the Witcher 3. It's too bad this company doesn't want to listen.

Edit: This is the first time I called CDPR "company"... Which in a way feels weird..

Last edited:
I actually am more frustrated that you don't unlock the ultra luxe mansion at the end of the game. You pop there for 2 minutes, hop on a hover car thingy and that's the last time you see it. Missed opportunity right there.

I'm not even going to talk about other missed opportunities like not being able to sit at a bar, talk to the bartender before heading on a mission, maybe get a drink while at it. The animations are there, the bartender prepping the drink, V sitting like a normal person and CDPR is letting all that go to waste not allowing players to interact with the world for a bit. V is a human being after all, doing something normal every now and then should be fine with the plot right?

Bethesda has been doing that for ages, simple interactable objects the player can use to kill their time. This is really sad because players have requested such features even on the Witcher 3. It's too bad this company doesn't want to listen.

It's the most annoying thing, I made a topic about it, more or less. But I talked about professions, things that could have been added because there are mechanics ready and codes ready ...

But, it seems that the game director wants a 'Cyberpunk 2077, play, but play not to play' ... or 'get out quick' ...

Frustrates me to no end. There is so much cool gear out there, tattoos, replacement limbs.
And no matter what everyone says, third person would bring so much to this game. Fights, specially melee, would be epic.

Every time I ride bikes, animated so beautifully, I dream of what it could be.

It's the most annoying thing, I made a topic about it, more or less. But I talked about professions, things that could have been added because there are mechanics ready and codes ready ...

But, it seems that the game director wants a 'Cyberpunk 2077, play, but play not to play' ... or 'get out quick' ...

Yep, I'm pretty sure that I saw your post but I didn't quite bother replying as I was too busy playing the game. But the thing is, no matter how many discussions we'll have on that topic it's just going to fall into deaf ears. Sometimes, tiny details such as sitting, eating, smoking can distinguish a generic FPS from a unique RPG. No matter how well-written the story can be, no matter how memorable the characters are, if there's nothing for the player to interact with the world then the gameplay can become really stale real quick.

I actually finished my first playthrough tonight. I managed to 100% the game, I cleared the entire map before going into the final mission. But once I was done with it, I felt hollow. Sure the story was stunning, the characters memorable but I can't say the same for Night City. I was too busy running around on my car, going from gig to gig and the game never actually gave me the chance to take a breather. Never had the chance to actually immerse myself into Night City. That's why I feel quite disappointed.

Even the romance options are hollow at best. Sure you get to do some quests with them but other than that, there's no way to interact with them outside of said quests. But apparently it's all good because you can have sex with joy-toys and NOT THE ACTUAL PERSON WHO CARES ABOUT THE PROTAGONIST. You can't even take them as a follower, or have some romantic time with them. Anyway, that's actually going a bit off topic but I felt like I had to vent somewhere.

Last edited:
I actually finished my first playthrough tonight. I managed to 100% the game, I cleared the entire map before going into the final mission. But once I was done with it, I felt hollow. Sure the story was stunning, the characters memorable but I can't say the same for Night City. I was too busy running around on my car, going from gig to gig and the game never actually gave me the chance to take a breather. Never had the chance to actually immerse myself into Night City. That's why I feel quite disappointed.
I was having the same problems too... But I found you have to give yourself the breathers. Don't rush from A to B, you don't need to - park up in a decent location & just walk to your objectives. Take the world in & it's crazy the things you'll notice they've done typically because as you said, you're too busy running around in your car going gig to gig. A 300-500m walk might sound like a lot, but it can be a delight & the things you'll notice vary from district to district.

Especially at night time, don't even get me started on that. I wish we could optionally control what time of day it is, i.e. permanent night time.

Perhaps I'm just rambling & you absolutely disagree with everything I'm saying but, that's just... my belief. I certainly enjoy the game more now for it. I still don't like how... limited our options are in NC, I can't fathom why anybody (testers?) played this game before release, went to a bar for a drink & instead was greeted with a standard trade UI for useless alcohol items & didn't think that was just, not very immersive.

Last edited:
Honestly when I saw the title, I was certain this was going to be talking about how every 20th item you come across is, like, partially buried underneath something, and therefore, by the game's misbegotten rules, cannot be picked up.

I was having the same problems too... But I found you have to give yourself the breathers. Don't rush from A to B, you don't need to - park up in a decent location & just walk to your objectives. Take the world in & it's crazy the things you'll notice they've done typically because as you said, you're too busy running around in your car going gig to gig. A 300-500m walk might sound like a lot, but it can be a delight & the things you'll notice vary from district to district.

I was actually taking it really slow. My current playthrough lasted for 150 hours. I'm not hating on the game, I just wish there were more roleplaying aspects in it. I'll definitely replay it on the other 2 lifepaths, heck I can easily spend 900+ hours on it at the least. It's not a bad game but I just wish it had those tiny details in it. Anyway, I'll be waiting for future content because I doubt this is all we're going to get. I trust CDPR will bounce back from this mess and work their way up to regain the public's trust.

Totally agree. Hope they add a white dress shirt with a black necktie in a future update. Suspenders would be nice too.

This is what happens when devs are given extremely unrealistic deadlines.
I dunno it's been in at the very least in concepting, planning and pre-development since 9 years ago and in full development for around 5+ years. That should have been more than enough time to create their initial vision that most people were sold on.

There must have been a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes we're not aware of. I'm talking Bioware levels of having a ton of the game already completed, only for it to be wiped and started from scratch.

In 2018 we got some glimpses that showed the entire game's premise and story might have been something completely different. I'm willing to bet that they had a lot of gameplay, designs, RPG mechanics and even the story at a fairly serviceable level in 2018. Then at some point management and higher ups wanted to change directions, the description of RPG is changed to action-adventure, Keanu Reeves and the whole Johnny Silverhands plot all seemed to happen around late 2018-2019.

I'm completely confident that the original game was scrapped at some point and that's why the game is in the state it is and so incomplete despite the huge amount of time that they had and the massive budget.

There are simple things in an RPG

One of them, one of the most striking, at least in current RPGs, is the way they approach quests. Everything has to do with the game design. For me - for me - you can't rely on an idea of 'do it and get out'. Things out of context, inclusive.

I had a bad experience in Final Fantasy XV, although the story was wonderful, so, exactly for that reason, I think differently. For me this is just a marketing idea (purely financial) which fits scripts. Consume, consume, consume ...

This week I read an old story in which the quest director emphatically stated his reasons for not adopting procedural quests in the game ... the reasons for that, alleged by him, were and are banal ... in my view. I find it interesting to combine both hand-made and procedural ones to keep a game alive. Villages like 'change the environment' are also good ideas, even adopted in TW3 in some villages. Interactivity, routine, this is an essential part of immersion.

I know that, in such a wide world of Cyberpunk, where the idea (should) where everything calls content (what to do) I haven't been doing quests because I know that the world will - literally - fall apart after that. Literally, to die ...

I am not suited to the logic of 'consume fast'.

I can kind of understand not replacing our arms since that may conflict with certain cutscenes and animations, and with one specific type of leg that has no foot, it's just a stilt, you wouldn't be able to wear shoes (unless it came with an attachment that allows you to wear shoes). But they could at least try to see if they could get it to work. I do know that full body 'borg conversions WILL NOT be possible (except maybe in multiplayer), as well as having an extra pair of arms as 1.) there aren't many gameplay uses for an extra pair of arms and 2.) there are too few uses to justify having an extra pair of arms (NOTE: You were able to have an extra pair of arms in the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG).

After playing for almost 200 hours I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Cyberpunk and I would recommend it to anyone, with some expectation-setting disclaimers. I find the story to be great, acting great, combat fun and obviously graphics are amazing.

But for myself one thing keeps eating at me beyond all the other issues I have with the game. And that is how the game continually bombards you with all these amazing things you can't own as V in the game. If I think about it too much it gets me really frustrated and keeps interfering with my time in the game.

Basically Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that continually shows you things that you should be able to get for V, but can't :

Cyberware :
No replacement limbs - Everywhere, all the time you will meet and pass residents of Night City sporting epic looking cybernetic arms and legs, ranging from budget to top-of-the-line models. You see them in adverts and on display hanging on the wall at ripperdocs. But you can't have any of them
No anti-smart-lock - Some enemies have cyberware that passively negates smart-locking but you can't have this yourself

Body Modifications :
No replacement skin - Constantly you run across NC residents with chrome skin, metal skin, partial metal skin, cybernetic tattoos and visual implants. But you can't have any of these either
No extreme stuff - The Animals and the Maelstrom have extreme body modifications which you don't have access to. Now I never thought I'd be able to become a walking tank like some of the animals, or make myself look like Savage, but if you were hoping to replace your face your outta luck.
Sex Upgrades - The game will advertise and have game elements based around the fact that in the world of Cyberpunk there are sex upgrades. you can't have em

Vehicles :
All over night city there are variations of the vehicles left and right. Special paint jobs and special models. You can't have any of these, you get a single vehicle look for each car to own. Want to own the epic bike from the poster, but the all-black version? tough luck

Clothing :
Practically every resident of Night City has access to clothes that are far cooler than the ones V can buy at the shops. Glowing hats and tops, see-through skirts, awesome hats, sweet looking pants and epic military gear. The range of fashion constantly in your face in this game only serves to highlight how few options your V has

Excellent thread title and accurate observations echoed by many You Tubers, media journos, bloggers, gaming sites, and 99.9% of the player base. We consumers have been like the proverbial 'kid in a sweetshop' with this release... hyped up relentlessly and tantalised with anticipatory visions, mouth watering descriptions and promises for months ahead of a pre Xmas visit to the candy store.. with Willy Wonka, whipped cream, sprinkles, every flavour of sauce, and a cherry on top.

Only to get there, bursting with anticipatory delight and a gluttonous need for satiation and find Daddy / Mommy CDPR coldly saying......'
SEE THIS? SEE THAT? YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT

(note: thankfully the modding community is already busy addressing many of these elements)

Last edited:
I concur with the original poster.
Really hope CDPR reads this and takes it on board.
Love the game but also frustrated by these unnecessary shortcomings.

Cyberware :

Body Modifications :

Vehicles :

Clothing :

Yup, the lack of cosmetic customization irks me to no end in a game based on these words from Mike Pondsmith on page 4 of Cyberpunk 2020:

1) Style over Substance
It doesn't matter how well you do something,
as long as you look good doing it. If
you're going to blow it, make sure you look
like you planned it that way. Normally,
clothes and looks don't matter in an adventure-
in this world, having a leather
armor jacket and mirrorshades is a serious
consideration.

Post automatically merged:

Especially at night time, don't even get me started on that. I wish we could optionally control what time of day it is, i.e. permanent night time.

Perhaps I'm just rambling & you absolutely disagree with everything I'm saying but, that's just... my belief. I certainly enjoy the game more now for it. I still don't like how... limited our options are in NC, I can't fathom why anybody (testers?) played this game before release, went to a bar for a drink & instead was greeted with a standard trade UI for useless alcohol items & didn't think that was just, not very immersive.
You do know that you can skip time to always be active at night if you want, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom