Semi-detailed analysis of Nilfgaard cards

+
The last expansion has brought many new cards to the game and a lot of powercreep to the game. In all of this I believe that the power gap between Nilfgaard and other factions has windened. This is not to say that Nilfgaard doesn't have any strong cards, but It seems to be one of the weakest factions in this meta and it's going to receive an important nerf very soon. Therefore I've decided to quickly analyze its cards and maybe highlight weaknesses here and there.

Ard Feainn Light Cavalry: at best this is 5 points (assuming the enemy unit has 1 armor) and doesn't really achieve anything.
I wish they would rework it to actually have armor piercing ability

Infiltrator: interesting concept, but it's very easily neutralized. Besides in round 3 it bricks you as much as the enemy.

Touissant Knight Errand: Knight is a useless tag and the card is very reliant on the opponent. Worse Nauzicaa brigade

Ard Feainn Heavy Cavalry, Ducal Guard: they are very slow tempo. I Wish there was something like Waters of Brokilon or Whoreson Senior, but for Assimilate.

Van Moorlehem Servant: it's unlikely that statuses will stay for long on the board and vitality should probably become boost.

Angry mob: on paper better than Arbalest, but there aren't 2 points bronze spies and the card doesn't have any useful tag.

Combat engineer: would benefit from a soldier tag

Master of disguise: more conditional versione of magne division, otherwise not top bad

Slave driver: requires a lock-heavy deck. Not sure of that's feasible.

Ointment: there aren't really any High base strength soldier cards other than Tibor, so it's rather mediocre

Mage Infiltrator, Emissary: as Spies they are inherently gifting the opponent with points i.e. they are worth 5 points

Duchess Informant: suffers from the same issue as Emissary and Infiltrator, but it's also match-up dependant. Dropping it by one provision would make a significant difference for both Spy and Assimilate.

Hunting pack: what's its point when there are Impera Brigades at the same cost?

Spotter: leftover from Reveal...

Slave Hunter: one of the several five provisions Assimilate engines and not the best. 1 armor would help it perhaps.

Menagerie keeper: generic and rather forgettable

Alba pikemen: 4 power, row locked, damage locked. Maybe both pikemen and Reinforced trebuchet should get 1 provision boost.

Courier, Vicovaro novice: Deck manipulation is interesting, but at 5 provision they ain't cheap

Nilfgaardian Knight: +1 point

Alba armored Cavalry: doesn't have armor. Literally unplayable.

Mangonel: too hard to set up, though interesting.

Seditious aristocrats: despite the early buffs they have lost the contest with Thirsty Dames because they are much less synergistic

Diplomacy: Beta slave driver, but more random and without a body. Imho it should either pick from the starting deck of the oppo. or be lowered to 4 provisions

Experimental remedy: at 6 provisions it's definetely overpriced.

Shilard Fitz-oesterlen: 8p would be more fitting for this card

Fringilla Vigo: there's already a semi-developed mage archetype within Northern Realms, so it feels really out of place

Vrygheff: powercrept

Leo Bonhart: this card coexists at 10p with Fangs of the Empire

Vivienne de Tabris: interesting card, but 10p is way too much.

Witcher Trio: powercrept

Palmerin and Milton: they don't make any sense

Rainfarn: it was great support for Ng Spies as it was. Did it really need to change?

Mage Infiltrator, Emissary: as Spies they are inherently gifting the opponent with points i.e. they are worth 5 points

Duchess Informant: suffers from the same issue as Emissary and Infiltrator, but it's also match-up dependant. Dropping it by one provision would make a significant difference for both Spy and Assimilate.
I had to just stop reading and laugh lol I don't think this counts as even "semi-detailed" if you're ignoring that these trigger assimilate which so many NG cards have, even their purify unit has assimilate which is just bonkers and the ability to replicate an engine is a powerful tool.

What's more mage infiltrator is the only unit that can counter SY defender and Endrega Larvae and Braathens can spawn it at any time since his pool has only 3 cards so it's not even random. This seems to be a love letter to NG so I've stopped reading, moving on

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

The Witcher trio is neutral :disapprove:
The NG ones are Viper trio if you want, but respect papa Vesemir and the wolfs :mad:

About the analysis..its not acurrate.

For example, Viviene can reduce the power of a buffed unit to its base cost, such as a 40pts GS to its prov cost only.
It is one of those cards that to make it stable requires a deck around it, such as having Roach or some unit in your field that is a good target in case you cannot use it on the opponent.
Why is not used? Why build complicated decks if the strongest or popular decks are completely easy to use, HC, Uprising, Ball, Ethereal.
Viviene's problem is not herself, it is the IQ45 meta that characterizes Homecoming.

And many of the other cards are just old cards, which are purposely made less effective in order to sell the new cards.
As users we don't like that, but it won't change:beer:

I had to just stop reading and laugh lol I don't think this counts as even "semi-detailed" if you're ignoring that these trigger assimilate which so many NG cards have, even their purify unit has assimilate which is just bonkers and the ability to replicate an engine is a powerful tool.

What's more mage infiltrator is the only unit that can counter SY defender and Endrega Larvae and Braathens can spawn it at any time since his pool has only 3 cards so it's not even random. This seems to be a love letter to NG so I've stopped reading, moving on
I think I was very clear in the premise, that I would point out weaknessess and how to improve them, so you could have stopped before you even began reading.

And Indeed Assimilate is Nilfgaard most used strategy. Isn't it?

If this wasn't a semi-detailed analysis, I would have pointed it out. But for the sake of discussion, let's go more in depth. Can you counterplay Infiltrator? Indeed you can, you just need to place a unit inbetween them denying its effect. Besides I was talking about Infiltrator not Braathens. How common is Infiltrator on her own?
Post automatically merged:

The Witcher trio is neutral :disapprove:
The NG ones are Viper trio if you want, but respect papa Vesemir and the wolfs :mad:

About the analysis..its not acurrate.

For example, Viviene can reduce the power of a buffed unit to its base cost, such as a 40pts GS to its prov cost only.
It is one of those cards that to make it stable requires a deck around it, such as having Roach or some unit in your field that is a good target in case you cannot use it on the opponent.
Why is not used? Why build complicated decks if the strongest or popular decks are completely easy to use, HC, Uprising, Ball, Ethereal.
Viviene's problem is not herself, it is the IQ45 meta that characterizes Homecoming.

And many of the other cards are just old cards, which are purposely made less effective in order to sell the new cards.
As users we don't like that, but it won't change:beer:
Well the Witcher Trio has been powercrept as well XD

Using her as a counter imho isn't too great because you can just use poison most of the times, which is far cheaper.

Yes...but we have four months without an expansion ahead of us, and sometimes they buff old cards, so who knows...

Well the Witcher Trio has been powercrept as well XD

Using her as a counter imho isn't too great because you can just use poison most of the times, which is far cheaper.

Yes...but we have four months without an expansion ahead of us, and sometimes they buff old cards, so who knows...

The Witcher trio has been destroyed to the ground, there where Sihil rests.

Regarding viviene and poison, that's what I meant.
Why use a complicated strategy that requires backup in case it fails? Better to fill the deck with poison and kill whatever it is even if it is not buffed.
You can also kill more things, and if they do not die they are useful for the Dames

The next patch brings an update to some leaders. I don't think that for a while they will dedicate themselves to improving old or situational cards. :beer:

some good points like light cavalry, mongonel, combat engineer, fringilla, palmerin/milton.
I will for the sake of length only respond to those I disagree.

dutchess informant is an amazing card and must never be a 4p imo. not only does it trigger dames, sedatious aristocrats, enforcers and assimilate units but it can be used in some very greedy strategies and also copy 5 or 6p bronzes from the opponent. the other spies are 5 points yes but they arent supposed to be used on their own and are useful in some archetypes, since they always also spawn a spy status.

nilfgaardian knight is fine at 7, it can be played proactive as a first card or be used in some (arguably whacky combos) with cahir and standard bearers, which are a meme but can work against non reactive decks. you can also target a tall unit and just poison it.

imperial diplomacy is fine at 5p, it is played in a lot of decks for a reason and can sometimes highroll into very useful cards. not a 4p at all imo. same with remedy, it's a card replay, either let this stay at 6 or buff all ressurect cards (which shouldnt happen imo).

shilard is fine at 9p, it's not played often because there are just stronger cards now but it's not a bad card. as fun fact: actually super OP in season of the griffin ;)

toussaint knight is also an ok card I think.

ya1

Forum regular
Though it's hard to disagree that NG is at its all time low some of these ideas might be over the top. The 5p assimilate cards are ok. The Remedy... I also kinda feel like it's too pricey for that 6p but you can't deny its usefulness. However, the problem with assimilate decks indeed is that everything is just too pricey even in the most provision generous Double Cross. Remedy could indeed get that buff maybe.

Also the 5p half-engines like Pikemen cannot be 4p. NG cannot have 4p engines beyond Magne. That would be over the top.

The point of focus for devs should be Angry Mob. I think a functional 7 for 4 is what NG really needs since its control advantage stopped making up for the shit points a while ago. I'd change the condition from conspiracy to any status. Conspiracy is useless. Assimilate decks that pack the Torturer will not ever use Mob because they need to play their own cards (and Portal). And in all other decks you never wanna play 4p cards after you played things like Fergus.

Though it's hard to disagree that NG is at its all time low some of these ideas might be over the top. The 5p assimilate cards are ok. The Remedy... I also kinda feel like it's too pricey for that 6p but you can't deny its usefulness. However, the problem with assimilate decks indeed is that everything is just too pricey even in the most provision generous Double Cross. Remedy could indeed get that buff maybe.

Also the 5p half-engines like Pikemen cannot be 4p. NG cannot have 4p engines beyond Magne. That would be over the top.

The point of focus for devs should be Angry Mob. I think a functional 7 for 4 is what NG really needs since its control advantage stopped making up for the shit points a while ago. I'd change the condition from conspiracy to any status. Conspiracy is useless. Assimilate decks that pack the Torturer will not ever use Mob because they need to play their own cards (and Portal). And in all other decks you never wanna play 4p cards after you played things like Fergus.
Agreed on the assimilate part. You just run out of provisions very fast :/
And that's the same problema of Spies: mangonel, Impera Enforcers, torturer and so forth are all 5 provisions...

Here I disagree though. I think that engines are really what Nilfgaard requires: Monster has basically been gifted with Ethereal (it's technically a neutral, but let's be honest they're the only ones who can use it effectively) and they already have larva, Skellige has Herkja which fits their strategy perfectly not to mention Greatswords, Priests, Heymay protector (at 4p) and blacksmith pre-nerf.
Northern Realms has drummer, Kerack Guard (in my opinion one of the best engines in the game) and Frigate (2 points per turn bronze engine). Now Skellige and Northern Realms are arguably more engine-oriented factions, but Nilfgaard feels kind of left behind in this department: Magne, Ard Feainn, Thirsty Dames and Hefty Helge have been carrying the faction for a while now.
That's why 1p buff would be acceptable imho.

remedy is basically a spy rezz. it lets you replay dutchess informant a number of times combined with other cards. there is no way imo it should ever be a 5p but hey, that's just my opinion

I agree on the assimilate part and remedy should stay expansive. Replays should always be more expansive and as you pointed out, both diplomacy and remedy can copy/revive strong engine cards. Perhaps a "in starting deck" for diplo, but in sum its fine. If you want to buff assimilate slave driver and the whole bunch should be the target.
btw op stated "a kind or Waters oB for Assimilate" .... Portal!

On your second part I totally disagree. Nobody and no faction at all needs a functionally 7 for 4. This easy 7/4 where the worst idea this whole gwent year. Specimen Gwent made a video on this topic and you can listen to his complete analysis why Ball +Fangs +Fangs is really cheap and all, but the whole message is easy.
4p cards are OP. dispite heaver, purify, movement and Zap, wich are all techcards there is no reason to even look at the 5p segment and not use a whole bunch of 4p cards. NR has some good balance, strong engines in 5p but so many just fricking good 4p cards...sorry it drove me away, but I thing this is a root problem in the new HC while weak bronces where a root problem of early HC. 5p bronce should be "autoinclude". 4p "fillers" should really need to be comboed/conditional or slow, slow slower as slow. No downside at the bottom end leeds to very polarized lists, because there is no point in using midway golds. If a 4p gives 6-7 and some 5p gives up to 8 or 9 points without a drawback what is the point of 7,8,9p golds? Just go bronce fiesta plus highend golds.

Back tt: NG is very dependent on the ability to counter and abuse opponents strategies. If everything is proper protected NG gets in the awkward spot of beeing proactive themselfs and look how they went from a strong second to the bottom end - without any nerfs!

ya1

Forum regular
Nobody and no faction at all needs a functionally 7 for 4.

But all the other factions already have it (maybe except ST which is not viable as devotion). So why even play NG when it has less points everywhere, and while everything else gets power crept, NG control is getting weaker and more conditional (like the veil strategem and the talks of Vincent nerfs).

Specimen Gwent made a video on this topic

I've seen that and I don't agree. He based his theory on a few outdated 5p and compared them to some of the best 4p in the game. Fact is SK 5p rule, and so do NR 5p engines. Only NG and ST got nothing good at 5p (ST got Rebuke).

Anyways, I believe that power disparity between low and high provision cards is very bad and leads to draw-to-win gameplay where having like 6 golds (+ tutor) left in deck will always lose to like 3 golds left in deck.

Using a assimilate deck and have to agreed with you about NG bronze cards.

They sucks a lot. Using imperial diplomacy its like you know a shit card Will come.

Experimental remedy should be 5p.

In fact i know there is a lot of engines in NG like poison, Block and etc. But for assimilate decks, The NG isnt so strong.

And If they change double Cross Will make assimilate more useless.

In fact i doub People will still use assimilate a f they change double cross. And lets be honest, assimilate its One of the coolest deck to play, all The matches are diferents

Please find my comments to your cards:

Ard Feainn Light Cavalry: at best this is 5 points (assuming the enemy unit has 1 armor) and doesn't really achieve anything.
I am with you. I never used that card. Consider the idea with piericing dmg good than it can be a conditional 6 for 4.

Infiltrator: interesting concept, but it's very easily neutralized. Besides in round 3 it bricks you as much as the enemy.
From my point of view a completely worthless card. You play a 4 for 4, so that your opponent has a 4 for 4.
Would change it like this: If played in round 1 give 2 vitality, if played in round 2 give 1 vitality

Touissant Knight Errand: Knight is a useless tag and the card is very reliant on the opponent. Worse Nauzicaa brigade
It´s a conditional 6 for 4. Would leave him as he his. For me also Nauzicaa brigade is a conditional 6 for 4 with higher body. No need for rework.

Ard Feainn Heavy Cavalry, Ducal Guard: they are very slow tempo. I Wish there was something like Waters of Brokilon or Whoreson Senior, but for Assimilate.
Do not use them as there are more powerful assimilate options. However with portal they can be kind of successful. No need for rework.

Van Moorlehem Servant: it's unlikely that statuses will stay for long on the board and vitality should probably become boost.
To my that card is decent for 4 provisions. No need for rework.

Angry mob: on paper better than Arbalest, but there aren't 2 points bronze spies and the card doesn't have any useful tag.
It´s an OK conditional 7 for 4 from MM. No need for rework.

Conditional 6 for 4. No need for rework Why should an engineer be a soldier?

Master of disguise: more conditional versione of magne division, otherwise not top bad
To my mind even stromger than magne division as there is less risk of row stacking. No need for rework

It´s a safe 4 for 4 with big upside potential. No need for rework

Ointment: there aren't really any High base strength soldier cards other than Tibor, so it's rather mediocre
It´s a safe 4 for 4 with limited upside potential. Wouldn´t include in my deck but no need for rework.

It´s a good counter againt Endriaga larves and other cards like protected Vysagotta for instance. No need for rework

To my mind that card is really strong. You can target 6 provision cards and can benefit from spy and assimilate. My favorite bronze spy. No need for rework.

Well impera brigade is limited in melee. Nevertheless, not hunting pack is too weak but impera to strong. Would change impera brigade that it only applies if you have at least one other soldier.

It´s a high risk, high reward card. Nevertheless the reward is very low probable. Would add a floor of 2 for the boost.

Slave Hunter: one of the several five provisions Assimilate engines and not the best. 1 armor would help it perhaps.
To my mind there are better assimilate options. So one armour fits fine.

It´s a conditional 7 for 5. In times of master mirror the bleeding might be exceeded to 3

Alba pikemen: 4 power, row locked, damage locked. Maybe both pikemen and Reinforced trebuchet should get 1 provision boost.
Very strong card. No need to rework at all

Courier, Vicovaro novice: Deck manipulation is interesting, but at 5 provision they ain't cheap.
They are both 5 for 5 plus deck manipulation option. No need for rework

No negative effects if played at first instance. Can even benefit from the opponent boost via Cahyr and later removal of the target. No need for rework

It´s a decent card + block + soldier tag. No need for rework. Nevertheless I prefer the Von Moorlehem Hunters

It´s a very strong card. Thirsty dames and aristocrats benefit. You can mess up your opponent fast. No need for rework.

Seditious aristocrats: despite the early buffs they have lost the contest with Thirsty Dames because they are much less synergistic
Very strong card due to the early buff. If you play a spy/assimiliate strategy they are must have. In case of spy/status deck they are still decent. No need for rework.

Diplomacy: Beta slave driver, but more random and without a body. Imho it should either pick from the starting deck of the oppo. or be lowered to 4 provisions
Also nice synergies with assimilate. Has a value because of tactic. card No need for rework.

That´s true. Provision cost should go down to 5. In round 1 this card is almost worthless

On average you can expect a decrease of 5+. If the target is weak you potentially almost kill a powerful order unit. If the target is Living armour you may be fucked.

Fringilla Vigo: there's already a semi-developed mage archetype within Northern Realms, so it feels really out of place
Should have provision costs of 7 at max.

Vrygheff: powercrept:
To my mind too expensive. You can maybe block 2 units or deal 4 damage. The most valuable goal might be venmedal elites. Would reduce to 8.

More expensive Geralt of Riva with additional witcher removal ability. Would never include in my deck but still large removal + 1 provision for witcher removal potential. So no need to rework.

If you play Regis for instance it gives much value. No need for rework

Neutral no commented

Would not include in my deck. But still think they are ok. Milton can be a 10 for 8.

Rainfarn: it was great support for Ng Spies as it was. Did it really need to change?
As it was it would be to strong. One can live with him, but my spies are not using him. Can be a 9 for 7. No need for rework

Please find my comments to your cards:

I am with you. I never used that card. Consider the idea with piericing dmg good than it can be a conditional 6 for 4.

From my point of view a completely worthless card. You play a 4 for 4, so that your opponent has a 4 for 4.
Would change it like this: If played in round 1 give 2 vitality, if played in round 2 give 1 vitality

It´s a conditional 6 for 4. Would leave him as he his. For me also Nauzicaa brigade is a conditional 6 for 4 with higher body. No need for rework.

Do not use them as there are more powerful assimilate options. However with portal they can be kind of successful. No need for rework.

To my that card is decent for 4 provisions. No need for rework.

It´s an OK conditional 7 for 4 from MM. No need for rework.

Conditional 6 for 4. No need for rework Why should an engineer be a soldier?

To my mind even stromger than magne division as there is less risk of row stacking. No need for rework

It´s a safe 4 for 4 with big upside potential. No need for rework

It´s a safe 4 for 4 with limited upside potential. Wouldn´t include in my deck but no need for rework.

It´s a good counter againt Endriaga larves and other cards like protected Vysagotta for instance. No need for rework

To my mind that card is really strong. You can target 6 provision cards and can benefit from spy and assimilate. My favorite bronze spy. No need for rework.

Well impera brigade is limited in melee. Nevertheless, not hunting pack is too weak but impera to strong. Would change impera brigade that it only applies if you have at least one other soldier.

It´s a high risk, high reward card. Nevertheless the reward is very low probable. Would add a floor of 2 for the boost.

To my mind there are better assimilate options. So one armour fits fine.

It´s a conditional 7 for 5. In times of master mirror the bleeding might be exceeded to 3

Very strong card. No need to rework at all

Courier, Vicovaro novice: Deck manipulation is interesting, but at 5 provision they ain't cheap.
They are both 5 for 5 plus deck manipulation option. No need for rework

No negative effects if played at first instance. Can even benefit from the opponent boost via Cahyr and later removal of the target. No need for rework

It´s a decent card + block + soldier tag. No need for rework. Nevertheless I prefer the Von Moorlehem Hunters

It´s a very strong card. Thirsty dames and aristocrats benefit. You can mess up your opponent fast. No need for rework.

Very strong card due to the early buff. If you play a spy/assimiliate strategy they are must have. In case of spy/status deck they are still decent. No need for rework.

Also nice synergies with assimilate. Has a value because of tactic. card No need for rework.

That´s true. Provision cost should go down to 5. In round 1 this card is almost worthless

On average you can expect a decrease of 5+. If the target is weak you potentially almost kill a powerful order unit. If the target is Living armour you may be fucked.

Should have provision costs of 7 at max.

Vrygheff: powercrept:
To my mind too expensive. You can maybe block 2 units or deal 4 damage. The most valuable goal might be venmedal elites. Would reduce to 8.

More expensive Geralt of Riva with additional witcher removal ability. Would never include in my deck but still large removal + 1 provision for witcher removal potential. So no need to rework.

If you play Regis for instance it gives much value. No need for rework

Neutral no commented

Would not include in my deck. But still think they are ok. Milton can be a 10 for 8.

As it was it would be to strong. One can live with him, but my spies are not using him. Can be a 9 for 7. No need for rework
I agree with nearly everything you said. Most of the cards listed in the opening post do not need to be buffed/reworked.

The main thing you said with which I completely disagree is that "Experimental Remedy" could be reduced to 5 provisions. That card is the Nilfgaard equivalent of "Freya's Blessing" and is definitely good enough as is. Remember that you can resurrect your opponent's 6-provision Bronze cards or trigger Assimilate twice by selecting one of your previous "Duchess's Informant".

I agree with nearly everything you said. Most of the cards listed in the opening post do not need to be buffed/reworked.

The main thing you said with which I completely disagree is that "Experimental Remedy" could be reduced to 5 provisions. That card is the Nilfgaard equivalent of "Freya's Blessing" and is definitely good enough as is. Remember that you can resurrect your opponent's 6-provision Bronze cards or trigger Assimilate twice by selecting one of your previous "Duchess's Informant".

If you reselect your Duchess´s informant it is from your starting hand. So assimiliate will not trigger. To my mind I do not see why there should be any value difference between a tactic card taking bronze unit from your opponent´s graveyard to a tactic card/spy taking bronze unit from your opponent´s board or simply create by luck 3 and choose one.

I will never understand why people argue for buffing Assimilate. Are you really sure you want to see create become the meta again? Really??

No, please, no. I face enough NG as it is. No buffs for Assimilate! LOL

Guest 4368268

Assimilate is something that I always struggle against tremendously. The overload of engines, the constant threat of them filling your board with spies, the strong control package, it always appears really solid to me. Which is really strange considering you don't see them often nor are they considered to be in any of the first bunch of tiers and I do much better against decks supposedly stronger than it.

But yeah, what I dislike about assimilate is #1 the incredible amount of RNG the deck relies on #2 the fact that the deck is absolutely broken in Nilfgaard mirrors for obvious reasons and #3 as I mentioned them filling your board up which feels really cheesy (I blame the game design for that, not assimilate or the players as such)

I can definitely see why it's fun to play assimilate but it should always remain in the meme category.

Top Bottom