Semi-detailed analysis of Nilfgaard cards

+
I wouldn't have anticipated such a reaction against Assimilate. I'd argue it's probably the tamest of Nilfgaard archetypes as it has generally very Little control and isn't particularly great when compared to other engine decks.

I agree however that it's to reliant on RNG, which is why I suggested buffing diplomacy into a less random card.

I dont think it's very reliant on rng, other than draws, like any deck. the card you get from diplomacy doesnt really matter when you get +8 points from your assimilate engines :ohstopit: it's a deck that almost cannot be beaten without control imo, I've had some crazy games with 150+ points in the past

DRK3

Forum veteran
Assimilate is something that I always struggle against tremendously. The overload of engines, the constant threat of them filling your board with spies, the strong control package, it always appears really solid to me. Which is really strange considering you don't see them often nor are they considered to be in any of the first bunch of tiers and I do much better against decks supposedly stronger than it.

But yeah, what I dislike about assimilate is #1 the incredible amount of RNG the deck relies on #2 the fact that the deck is absolutely broken in Nilfgaard mirrors for obvious reasons and #3 as I mentioned them filling your board up which feels really cheesy (I blame the game design for that, not assimilate or the players as such)

I can definitely see why it's fun to play assimilate but it should always remain in the meme category.

I never really considered Assimilate as a meme archetype. As i've already said numerous times, its a fallacy to think there's only meta decks and meme decks, with no inbetween.

Assimilate is very different from other NG archetypes, as it barely has any control options, and it works similarly to other boost engine archetypes, like NR or MO thrive - on a long round, with multiple engines on board, you have Yrden or you're screwed.

So you probably already know this, but its best to bleed Assimilate. Sometimes even going one card down is OK, to ensure a small R3.

What i DO like about Assimilate is it's versatility. There are many variations, including some with almost 0 RNG: operator + diviner/ seditious aristocrats, these are crazy as you dont need to set up assimilate engines, and only after use create cards... you do both at the same time.

Also, there's variations with more or less spies, which synergize really well with assimilate (torturer is the perfect example, as its assimilate and gives spying)

And of course, there's the other point you mentioned, the risk of filling your board, why you should usually avoid long rounds vs assimilate if your deck already puts many units on board.

I didnt have enforcers he didnt have aristocrats.jpg

And regarding mirror matches, this is what happens... note i didnt have enforcers in my deck, and my opponent no seditious aristocrats, and yet this happened...

Last edited:

Guest 4368268

I never really considered Assimilate as a meme archetype. As i've already said numerous times, its a fallacy to think there's only meta decks and meme decks, with no inbetween.

Assimilate is very different from other NG archetypes, as it barely has any control options, and it works similarly to other boost engine archetypes, like NR or MO thrive - on a long round, with multiple engines on board, you have Yrden or you're screwed.

So you probably already know this, but its best to bleed Assimilate. Sometimes even going one card down is OK, to ensure a small R3.

What i DO like about Assimilate is it's versatility. There are many variations, including some with almost 0 RNG: operator + diviner/ seditious aristocrats, these are crazy as you dont need to set up assimilate engines, and only after use create cards... you do both at the same time.

Also, there's variations with more or less spies, which synergize really well with assimilate (torturer is the perfect example, as its assimilate and gives spying)

And of course, there's the other point you mentioned, the risk of filling your board, why you should usually avoid long rounds vs assimilate if your deck already puts many units on board.

View attachment 11056973
And regarding mirror matches, this is what happens... note i didnt have enforcers in my deck, and my opponent no seditious aristocrats, and yet this happened...
In this instance was talking more about the 'all-in' list that includes the double cross leader ability and doesn't necessarily have spy synergy etc. I've had a lot of fun playing assimilate 'hybrid' decks myself back when Master Mirror just dropped. I dropped it fairly quickly when I realized how vulnerable it was (at least when I was playing it, decks that I suck at are sometimes tremendously successful for others and vice versa) I definitely don't wanna sound like I'm hating on it.

I do try to bleed the deck where possible but against Imperial Formation I always have a hard time because it makes bleeding so tricky. Nilfgaard is probably the faction I play the best with and am also the worst against. :coolstory:

I think Cahir should have maybe + 1 armor. He is after all a 9 provision card that is locked to the front row so unless you have Ffion to protect him he just gets pwned by one of many 5 Dmg special cards as soon as he's put on the board (though one more armor would play into SK's Stunning Blow which I find rather annoying since it's a 4 prov card), if not moved to the ranged row lol by the opponent.
Any tips on how to protect him? I just started playing NG a bit (since the quest to play 3 games as NG lol), and I don't have the 800 scraps to buy Ffion yet.

I think Cahir should have maybe + 1 armor. He is after all a 9 provision card that is locked to the front row so unless you have Ffion to protect him he just gets pwned by one of many 5 Dmg special cards as soon as he's put on the board (though one more armor would play into SK's Stunning Blow which I find rather annoying since it's a 4 prov card), if not moved to the ranged row lol by the opponent.
Any tips on how to protect him? I just started playing NG a bit (since the quest to play 3 games as NG lol), and I don't have the 800 scraps to buy Ffion yet.
Definitely against buffing this card, rather change it. It is super binary against any boost decks, it either gets answered or automatically wins you the game basically.

Definitely against buffing this card, rather change it. It is super binary against any boost decks, it either gets answered or automatically wins you the game basically.
I agree entirely. Cahir is, in my opinion, the worst card in the game. It is almost always either wasted provisions or a single handed game winner. Either way, it ruins the game. It should be removed and reworked — definitely not buffed.

Imperial formation

Top Bottom