Semi Spoiler question. Why is V being such a jerk to Johnny all of a sudden?

+
I'm not sure if this is some type of bug, or just part of the game, but hoping to get a few peoples input if this is normal part of the game or not, it doesn't seem like it to me.

This does have some side-mission spoilers (Johnny's side quest).

I've always tried to get along with Johnny and get his friendship/relationship up (to the point where I sometimes reload the game to get a better dialog from our conversations lol), but I've been doing Johnny's side quest, and did the one mission where you go and look for his grave in the oil fields (Chippin' In is the mission). Looking online, this is where you become friends with Johnny or not. I did everything correct and we became friends, or so I thought.

I next did Johnny's date with Rogue, I guess a sign that you and Johnny are friends, by being able to do Rogue's date (Blistering Love). The mission went normal and then I went off to see Kerry for the Holdin' On mission. This is where I started to notice V and Johnny not getting along. Kerry asked Johnny if he gets along with V, Johnny said not lately, but we don't have a choice.

Now, whenever Johnny has something to say, V has some crass, rude, or sometimes bitchy response towards Johnny, where before any of this, it was always a more neutral or positive response.

I'm about 10 hours past these missions, I just don't want to be an asshole towards Johnny anymore, I feel bad for the guy hearing how V talks to him lol.

This is on PC if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure if this is some type of bug, or just part of the game, but hoping to get a few peoples input if this is normal part of the game or not, it doesn't seem like it to me.

I've always tried to get along with Johnny and get his friendship/relationship up (to the point where I sometimes reload the game to get a better dialog from our conversations lol), but I've been doing Johnny's side quest, and did the one mission where you go and look for his grave in the oil fields (Chippin' In is the mission). Looking online, this is where you become friends with Johnny or not. I did everything correct and we became friends, or so I thought.

I next did Johnny's date with Rogue, I guess a sign that you and Johnny are friends, by being able to do Rogue's date (Blistering Love). The mission went normal and then I went off to see Kerry for the Holdin' On mission. This is where I started to notice V and Johnny not getting along. Kerry asked Johnny if he gets along with V, Johnny said not lately, but we don't have a choice.

Now, whenever Johnny has something to say, V has some crass, rude, or sometimes bitchy response towards Johnny, where before any of this, it was always a more neutral or positive response.

I'm about 10 hours past these missions, I just don't want to be an asshole towards Johnny anymore, I feel bad for the guy hearing how V talks to him lol.

I had the exact same thing happen. I think it's just another half finished quest line. Maybe they didn't have time for the "friends with Johnny" branch of the story.

Man, if my assholeness continues, I'm not sure if I can take it lol. It is mainly on side gigs now that I'm seeing it, so it is more than just the main side missions.

This does happen in some quests. I think it's a problem that comes with trying to give the player the choice to grow the relationship or not over the course of the game. Sometimes the dialogue doesn't line up and is either too nice for who you want to be or too aggressive.

Spoiler concerning one of the endings follows. Don't read it it you haven't finished the game.
It's most glaring in the ending after having played as Johnny when, even if you want Johnny to give the body to V, and V has liked Johnny up to that point, V is suddenly hyper agressive towards Johnny.

Last edited:
This does happen in some quests. I think it's a problem that comes with trying to give the player to grow the relationship or not over the course of the game. Sometimes the dialogue doesn't line up and is either too nice for who you want to be or too aggressive.

Spoiler concerning one of the endings follows. Don't read it it you haven't finished the game.
It's most glaring in the ending after having played as Johnny when, even if you want Johnny to give the body to V, and V has liked Johnny up to that point, V is suddenly hyper agressive towards Johnny.
V's reaction in that ending depends on the dialogue you choose with Johnny when your sat with Alt. If you show concern for V and ask Alt if there's another way V can be saved then V's reaction isn't hostile when you choose to give the body back.
However if you choose to be selfish and pick the other dialogue options then V will be pissed off and will accuse Johnny of leaving him to die.
This doesn't have any bearing on your previous interactions with Johnny throughout the game. Even if you picked the friendly options at the oilfields, V will still get angry at Johnny if you don't pick the right dialogue.

(snipped because spoilers)

Makes sense. I remember it being very jarring, to the point it just felt plain wrong, possibly one of the instances where the dialogue choices aren't wholly reflective of what comes out of you (in this instance Johnny's) mouth.

"SEMI SPOILER QUESTION. WHY IS V BEING SUCH A JERK TO JOHNNY ALL OF A SUDDEN?"

Because V at some point finds out that Johnny is nothing more than a dismissive cynical egotistical selfish gonk, that mercilessly and relentlessly harasses and hurts V for far over half of the duration of the entire game, without any means to switch him off, or plain drop 'm.

V's reaction in that ending depends on the dialogue you choose with Johnny when your sat with Alt. If you show concern for V and ask Alt if there's another way V can be saved then V's reaction isn't hostile when you choose to give the body back.
However if you choose to be selfish and pick the other dialogue options then V will be pissed off and will accuse Johnny of leaving him to die.
This doesn't have any bearing on your previous interactions with Johnny throughout the game. Even if you picked the friendly options at the oilfields, V will still get angry at Johnny if you don't pick the right dialogue.

Are you guys talking about:
when V beats up Johnny on the cyber bridge? Because I know that affinity affects whether or not V will be violent there, and also V's dialogue is affected by a dialogue choice made way back in the PS apartment (dog tag scene). I vaguely remember testing it out ages ago.

when V beats up Johnny on the cyber bridge? Because I know that affinity affects whether or not V will be violent there, and also V's dialogue is affected by a dialogue choice made way back in the PS apartment (dog tag scene). I vaguely remember testing it out ages ago.
I didn't know that could even happen. It sounds cool! No the bit just before when you choose
whether to walk the bridge, where the two of them discuss the situation. [\spoiler]

Oh is that how it works? I always assumed it was based on the talk you had with Johnny before. Good to know.
There is also unique dialogue between Johnny and Alt when you meet her after hooking up to the net in the Afterlife. Apparently this is also based on previous conversation choices. I've never been able to find out how you trigger it though.

Because the game is broken/unfinished, or however you want to describe it. It is only one of several inconsistencies in the game regarding story line/character development...

Because the game is broken/unfinished, or however you want to describe it. It is only one of several inconsistencies in the game regarding story line/character development...
Yeah something like this. It actually happens a lot.
Speaking as a fan of the game, it still feels like a bi-polar experience trying to play it immersively - (ie trying to play while also having it make sense). One minute you're amazed at the atmosphere and story and enjoying being a merc, the next minute you are wondering what the hell is going on and why the characters are acting like this to each other and why would they even say that? Then back again.
I played through the game several times and every time I wonder if I did something wrong or completed the side quests in the wrong order.
This is why I find the short, simple missions feel more natural - putting aside the fact that I am supposed to be dying and running against a ticking clock - because the motivation of pulling off a hit job or stealing a data shard for some quick cash actually makes sense and resonates with the merc character. So for me the best immersion comes from those quick side missions / gigs / fixer jobs. I think the main story is good and gives very good intrigue early on, but with all the different options and choices it looks like the consistency suffered and could probably use some work.
Post automatically merged:

But yeah, the problem mostly seems to be centered around Vs relationship with Johnny. Their interactions keep feeling off.

Last edited:

TONE.

The Tone is all over the place as every time you have a Johnny interaction... the start the same... no matter what you have said in the past. no matter what you have done in the past... no matter what your feelings to johnny are

while IN a specific conversation johnny will respond to each statement given as individual pieces... the didnt record separate you and johnny at 0% relations or 20% relations or 60% relations

it happens a lot.... johnny having no respect and letting you have it with judy at clouds.. then suddenly can do a side quest and hes really gung ho about you two working together

you two argue at the diner.. yet immediately after gettign your car you are calling for johnnys help... after he tried to kill you.. then claims hes not and you tell him off..

There is no static, nor progression of the TONE of the interaction between you two - as it progresses on rails.. except in conversations
then no matter what you just did.. very next conversation will be at predetermined attitude and what you just did (got along vs F off) doesn't matter.

I just chalked it up to Johnny and V merging so V is taking on his more unsavory qualities. Johnny going from being self centered to being willing to die for his friends and V being more selfish and not caring about others.

Top Bottom