[Series X] Lost all NPC Dialogue Sound

+
I am playing on the Xbox Series X.

First, thank you for creating a game that is truly special. When the game works, it is incredible.

But, I have a series issue. About 17 hours in, I lost all audio from NPC's. V speaks his lines, then silence from the rest of the NPC's everywhere. Whether it is quest dialogue or just open world flavor dialogue, nothing. I have reloaded saves. I have shut the Series X down, restarted. I have gone into Sound options and played with the on/offs. Nothing brings back the audio. I have played another 5 hours with no dialogue sounds, just mostly doing side quests & gigs, but the game just isn't the same.

***UPDATE: FOUND FIX***
I was able to fix the issue. It does appear that it is with the Series X's ability to go into a rest state (even when you turn the console off). When I first got my Series X, during the initial setup, you have the option of allowing background updates and keeping games in the Cache/RAM memory. My guess is that this memory must get all used up at some point and start causing issues like the audio one in Cyberpunk.

Anyways, here is how I fixed it. Power down. Unplug the power cord from the wall. I also did the same to my modem/router for good measure, though this shouldn't matter. Waited 5 minutes and then plugged everything back in. I was getting a strange disc read error for a couple minutes which was concerning, but then after a console reset, the game fired right back up and I had my Audio back to normal.

Last edited:
I'm having similar problems, most NPC's are silent (including Johnny), but a few can be heard.

There is also something weird with the overall sound image, like some sound layers are missing making the ones that are left stand out way to clearly. Will play around with the sound settings to see if I can figure out which ones are gone.
Post automatically merged:

Looks like it's just the music and car radio that is gone too

Two more things:
  1. In addition to the music being gone, the mix of sound effects are way off. Sounds almost like all sounds are mixed at 100%.
  2. The NPCs no longer move their lips when they were supposed to talk, which is probably tied to the missing voice audio

Last edited:
Power cycling, clearing the cache or using an earlier save does not help, but switching to headphones brought back the missing audio it seems. Haven't tried to switch back to TV audio again yet, will try headphones for a bit.

Spoke too soon, 2 minutes and NPC audio is gone again

Hi All,

Commenting to say I have the exact same issue on my Series X. Even more maddening, prior game saves that previously were working fine are now corrupted. I get no NPC audio at all from those prior saves now. My V still speaks fine, but no one else does.

Not really sure what to do. This is pretty gamebreaking.

Edit: my progression to this point was identical to OP's. I lost NPC audio at about 15 hours in. Until then the game was working great.

I was 20+ into the game when the voices started dropping out. They did not disappear all at once though, first it was just a few, then more and more.

I would like to add that it does not only affect NPC audio, but also sound effects. For example, when driving a car engine sound and brake sounds were missing, while car honks and crash sounds were present.

Hi All,

I hade the same issue (Xbox series X), after about 20h voices dropped off. In my case switching power off and unpluging the power cable for 5 minutues supprisingly helped. The recommended for Series X software power cycle method didn't.

I did both the hard reset and clearing of the cache and it worked. Does this only happen to the disc version or is this happening to digital also?

Hi All,

Sadly the hard reset and clearing of cache did not work for me. I'm on the digital version. Powering off and unplugging for 5 minutes didn't help either. As seen in this video I took, this gamebreaking bug now applies to new playthoughs and new games. The only thing left for me at this point would be a full delete and reinstall which I'd rather not do 20 hours in. I suppose I'll just wait for the next patch to see if it fixes anything. Any other thoughts? Has this scenario applied to anyone else?

It just dawned on me that this might be an issue with quick resume, so I tried quitting the game completely and make it load from scratch - hey presto - sounds and voices are back. Crossing fingers it will last more than two minutes this time...

Hi Bugtastic15, this is a n00b question but how do you quit your game completely and make it load from scratch on Series X? Did you simply click options on your controller then quit?

Last edited:
What an absolute pain in the balls... it started with me when I was doing the delamain retrieval jobs.... least I know how to put things right again

I agree, this is a major PITA! The voices keep going out and the only way to fix it is to get completely out of the game and come back in. How is this still not fixed?

I love this game but there are so many major bugs that are killing my enjoyment. Come on CD Projekt Red, I expect better from you.

I have had the same thing happen, 20+ hours in. Here is the step by step fix.

1. If you are in game, press the XBOX button on your controller.
2. Select HOME
3. From the main Xbox Menu, hover over the main Cyberpunk 2077 game icon
4. While hovering, press the THREE LINES button on your controller for more options.
5. Cyberpunk 2077 options will pop up, select QUIT.
6. After you quit, select Cyberpunk 2077 again to play.
7. The game will restart with opening credits, logos, etc.
8. Press B to continue
9. Press THREE LINES on controller to continue
10. Select CONTINUE or LOAD GAME with your latest save.

Should work from there.

I am playing on the Xbox Series X.

First, thank you for creating a game that is truly special. When the game works, it is incredible.

But, I have a series issue. About 17 hours in, I lost all audio from NPC's. V speaks his lines, then silence from the rest of the NPC's everywhere. Whether it is quest dialogue or just open world flavor dialogue, nothing. I have reloaded saves. I have shut the Series X down, restarted. I have gone into Sound options and played with the on/offs. Nothing brings back the audio. I have played another 5 hours with no dialogue sounds, just mostly doing side quests & gigs, but the game just isn't the same.

***UPDATE: FOUND FIX***
I was able to fix the issue. It does appear that it is with the Series X's ability to go into a rest state (even when you turn the console off). When I first got my Series X, during the initial setup, you have the option of allowing background updates and keeping games in the Cache/RAM memory. My guess is that this memory must get all used up at some point and start causing issues like the audio one in Cyberpunk.

Anyways, here is how I fixed it. Power down. Unplug the power cord from the wall. I also did the same to my modem/router for good measure, though this shouldn't matter. Waited 5 minutes and then plugged everything back in. I was getting a strange disc read error for a couple minutes which was concerning, but then after a console reset, the game fired right back up and I had my Audio back to normal.

Same Problem - after dozens of hours of play. Just posted incase someone wonders if its still happening - it is. And the fix works - restarted Xbox and quit game.

As of June 6th, 2021, I can confirm that what Dr.Twister posted here 100% works. I have about 30 hours put into the Xbox Series X version, and all the NPC voices dropped out suddenly, but quitting (the way Dr.Twister describes) and restarting a save file does the trick. I will say that this is the one and only issue I've had with the game after 30 hours of play, so it's been pretty rock solid otherwise -- no crashing, no graphical hiccups, nothing. A thank you to Dr.Twister for being very clear and concise in how to fix it (gamers tend to be extremely lousy at being clear).

Top Bottom