Serious performance issues and no sound

+
I'm playing on a gaming laptop and the FPS must be below 5, this is with all settings on lowest possible. Laptop has a GTX 1050, 8GB ram, cpu intel i5 1.60ghz 1.80gz - i ran Witcher 3 on this laptop pretty flawlessly a year or so ago, but the laptop has been wiped and repaired since then, maybe i haven't updated things correctly, i have checked geforce experience application etc.

When i choose auto-detect settings it chooses the lowest possible which cannot be right, it's as if the game doesn't detect my graphics card or something?

I'm not very tech/computer savvy at all so i'm a bit lost as to what to do.

Also i the game has no sound at all, works perfectly for everything else on the laptop.

Any ideas?

Ok, Guess I know what is the problem. Is your game using Integrated Graphics Card, instead of the Nvidia one ? Because Intel packages their CPU chips with a GPU segment on board. Basically your laptop has 2 GPUs one is high performance Nvidia card and the other is that intel GPU. to check that if the game is using Nvidia or Intel Graphics card, you should go to Nvidia control panel (Right click on desktop and select it) then go to "Manage 3D Settings" on the left panel, from there go to Program Settings. select "Add" , a window will pop up. There you should select "Browse..." a browser window will pop up. in there , go to the place where you installed The Witcher 2 and then go to bin folder and then to x64 folder, select "witcher2.exe" and click on open. Now that the application is selected you should click on "select the preferred graphics processor for this program" then choose "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor".
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, i actually tried that last night and i have sound now!! But... the framerate is still like 1 or 2 fps lol, on lowest possible settings again.

Any other thoughts? :eek:

Sadly no :( (Maybe a complete reinstall will help? Also try disabling UberSampling in Graphics setting if it's Enabled)

Last edited:
It could also be that the drivers have finally moved past what the game will recognize. Running legacy software can develop problems over time. You may want to think about rolling back and seeing if that helps.

Well, there's definitely a reason it's happening, and it will definitely be down to something in the config. Might take a bit of digging. Happy to help if you want to tackle it in the future.
Thank you, i tried to roll back the driver like you said, i found that the 1050 released in 2016 so searched for a driver around that time but all i could find was drivers dating back to around July 2021, i assumed that wouldn't be dated enough. Not sure why there are no older drivers available for download

Thank you, i tried to roll back the driver like you said, i found that the 1050 released in 2016 so searched for a driver around that time but all i could find was drivers dating back to around July 2021, i assumed that wouldn't be dated enough. Not sure why there are no older drivers available for download
Because older drivers were made for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. Windows 7 support is officially discontinued, and most drivers now need to be Windows 10 compatible. So that's as far back as drivers will work on Win10.

However, if you're using Win7, 8, or 8.1, you can still track down archived driver versions on Nvidia's / AMD's websites. Just takes a little digging.

Top Bottom