Seriously - Poison?? Binary, boring, annoying, all too common these days

+

Is poison a good/well impemented mechanic in Gwent?

• Total voters
I absolutely refuse to play against a NG deck anymore. Last one I played against had 14 poison cards used against me.
Fangs 6 times, 2 rot tosser, Maraal etc.

Never again until they rework it.

I've done the same (forfeit or rage quit when I see a poison deck), but have come to realize that that's just handing them wins.

What deck(s) are you playing?

Guest 4375874

I've done the same (forfeit or rage quit when I see a poison deck), but have come to realize that that's just handing them wins.

It would but I've done the same, I imagine it's more frustrating for them to wait for a match and then the person quits. It's a small victory against the meta decks where everyone is playing double ball. It's a waste of time even playing them until they balance the game
Post automatically merged:

I would suggest that poison does not kill the card after 2 shots. Instead, it would have a countdown before the unit is killed. This would give time to react and would do enough to balance the status.

1 Poison --- 5 turns before being killed
2 Poison -- 3 turns before being killed
3 Poison -- Card killed

What do you think?
Good suggestion. Others have made similar ones as well. It would definitely make poison less OP but honestly it could be fixed just by increasing the provision cost or lowering the unit power so it's something the players have to strategize instead of just spamming the field because they're cheap with no limitations

Last edited by a moderator:

I've tried a bit of everything. I even played against an NG poison deck yesterday and managed a squeaky win with an NR deck. It was not pretty.

I've tried a bit of everything. I even played against an NG poison deck yesterday and managed a squeaky win with an NR deck. It was not pretty.

For whatever it's worth, I've had some luck running an Elf swarm deck. Anything where you can put spread units across the board, and give up fewer big targets to hit.

Guest 4375874

For whatever it's worth, I've had some luck running an Elf swarm deck. Anything where you can put spread units across the board, and give up fewer big targets to hit.
It depends on your faction. It works for ST but I tried with MO using Endrega queen which was good for a while but against SK or NR is a bit challenging. Plus there's Yen's invocation in NG and locks. ST swarm doesn't require activation, they're mostly deploy abilities and has the benefit of doing damage with the elves.

The poison must effect at the end of your turn, like vitality or blood, so when an unit has 2 poisons, you can play your turn before the unit is killed.

So you can still use order before card killed, or purify 2 poisons with one card, or consume 2 poisons.

The poison must effect at the end of your turn, like vitality or blood, so when an unit has 2 poisons, you can play your turn before the unit is killed.

So you can still use order before card killed, or purify 2 poisons with one card, or consume 2 poisons.
This would work better indeed. But the very little input we have from the devs seems to indicate that they believe everything is fine with the current balance. So it won't happen.

Guest 4404014

I don't think there is any problem with poison. If there is a problem, then it's in NG soldier package + leader ability (Imperial) + how poison can boost that deck's control potential. Similar situation with Harmony and SY but to a lesser extent. Pure poison decks like Double Ball aren't all that strong (I mean consistently strong) and they are coinflippy.

Masquerade Ball seems very strong but poison decks wouldn't exist without it. As a single card, in the vacuum, it's the strongest scenario but as a part of a package is it really that much stronger than, say, SK point swings or NR boosts+swarms or ST harmony utility+value or MO shenanigans with Caranthir or SY spender abilities?

Guest 4375874

Masquerade Ball seems very strong but poison decks wouldn't exist without it. As a single card, in the vacuum, it's the strongest scenario but as a part of a package is it really that much stronger than, say, SK point swings or NR boosts+swarms or ST harmony utility+value or MO shenanigans with Caranthir or SY spender abilities?
ST uses poison, SY uses poison....they do not have Masquerade Ball. The difference is they're not allowed to abuse it through double play of their scenario but it still very much exists and is often used...that's called balance. There's nothing "coin flippy" about Double ball. We're talking about a faction that's designed to pull cards from their deck with cards and leader abilities that further supplement that. If you're going to make an argument for it that's quite fine but your suggestion here is just not true.
Post automatically merged:

This would work better indeed. But the very little input we have from the devs seems to indicate that they believe everything is fine with the current balance. So it won't happen.
Yup, unfortunate but true

Guest 4404014

ST uses poison, SY uses poison....they do not have Masquerade Ball

But ST/SY generate way more value on their side than NG. Without that extra value from extra poison, NG would not stand a chance.

There's nothing "coin flippy" about Double ball. (...) If you're going to make an argument for it that's quite fine but your suggestion here is just not true.

Citing from https://teamleviathangaming.com/meta/ : "By the end of the day, double Masquarade Ball is the ultimate coin flip deck."

Guest 4375874

But ST/SY generate way more value on their side than NG. Without that extra value from extra poison, NG would not stand a chance.

Citing from https://teamleviathangaming.com/meta/ : "By the end of the day, double Masquarade Ball is the ultimate coin flip deck."
Yea that's not a surprise, poison is removal ... it's not for building points and more importantly it's not unique to any one faction. Harmony is unique to ST and as a result has more synergy...same for the SY Dames, poison is merely there to supplement an existing strategy. Maybe explain what you define as "coin-flippy" ...50/50 chance of what exactly? drawing masquerade ball, playing masquerade ball. playing it twice or winning?

I don't see masquerade ball falling into that category at any point. Perhaps you have a better experience than most ppl here. So you have a higher % win rate against NG (using another faction)? what's your win rate against them, above 60%?

Guest 4404014

Maybe explain what you define as "coin-flippy" ...50/50 chance of what exactly? drawing masquerade ball, playing masquerade ball. playing it twice or winning?

By coin-flippy I mean rng. It can be very strong but it also can be very weak. It's mostly about blue vs. red coin.

Double Ball is great at abusing red coin (being last to act). But if you roll blue coin, there are hardly any cards you can play proactively (generate full value without interacting with opponent). And people know to open with cheap cards or specials to force you to play for low value (like poisoning a 2 point unit or locking a unit that needs no lock or dropping Dames for an easy bullet) or for no value at all. That makes it hard to win R1. Lose R1 and you're losing last say in R3 so your opponent can develop his points in his last move, and there's nothing you can do about those points. And you're also gonna play first in R3 so the situation from R1 can repeat itself. Double Balls are quite weak on blue coin. Also, you often struggle to get that round control and you empty your magazine too early.

Second, Ball engines (Dames) go down with 4 or 5 points (5 when played to scenario), no armor, no boosts. So they are very easy to cheaply remove. If your opponent happens to have drawn his removal, he's getting a lot of value out of killing those Dames (kills a unit with like 9 point potential by using a 4-5 provision card). While this is true for many engines (like Dryads), Ball is different because it can hardly develop any value on their side without them. So it very often comes down to if they drew their Joust/Stunning Blow/Boiling Oil, etc. And when they did, they put nothing new on the board so the situation described above repeats itself.

Third, NG seems to have a card for every situation. Yeah. But if you gotta draw those cards when those exact situations arise. If fail to deny value exactly when you need to, and there is a big chance you'll lose. This is true about every pure control deck. It's very rng.

Last, Ball is often auto-lose against point slams like elves or NR. All those high provision cards like Yen or Vincent lose value when there is nothing good to kill/steal.

Do you have a higher % win rate against NG (using another faction)? what's your win rate against them, above 60%?

Where I am right now I mostly lose lol. But I don't lose to NG any more than to other things. Depends on the deck. I lose with SK. But I win with NR and ST. I don't play MO and SY so I don't know but MO usually loses to NG and SY is more or less 50/50 afaik. Also depends what exactly you play from those factions. Greed decks going tall are usually auto-lose against NG, sadly.

A tip against NG: get another strategem. Tactical Advantage sucks against NG. You're basically moving 5 points to a unit that's gonna die anyway, and you deny yourself the only little advantage you have on their red coin. Magic Lamp or the ST Sabre is great.

Guest 4375874

By coin-flippy I mean rng. It can be very strong but it also can be very weak. It's mostly about blue vs. red coin.

Double Ball is great at abusing red coin (being last to act). But if you roll blue coin, there are hardly any cards you can play proactively (generate full value without interacting with opponent). And people know to open with cheap cards or specials to force you to play for low value (like poisoning a 2 point unit or locking a unit that needs no lock or dropping Dames for an easy bullet) or for no value at all. That makes it hard to win R1. Lose R1 and you're losing last say in R3 so your opponent can develop his points in his last move, and there's nothing you can do about those points. And you're also gonna play first in R3 so the situation from R1 can repeat itself. Double Balls are quite weak on blue coin. Also, you often struggle to get that round control and you empty your magazine too early.

Second, Ball engines (Dames) go down with 4 or 5 points (5 when played to scenario), no armor, no boosts. So they are very easy to cheaply remove. If your opponent happens to have drawn his removal, he's getting a lot of value out of killing those Dames (kills a unit with like 9 point potential by using a 4-5 provision card). While this is true for many engines (like Dryads), Ball is different because it can hardly develop any value on their side without them. So it very often comes down to if they drew their Joust/Stunning Blow/Boiling Oil, etc. And when they did, they put nothing new on the board so the situation described above repeats itself.

Third, NG seems to have a card for every situation. Yeah. But if you gotta draw those cards when those exact situations arise. If fail to deny value exactly when you need to, and there is a big chance you'll lose. This is true about every pure control deck. It's very rng.

Last, Ball is often auto-lose against point slams like elves or NR. All those high provision cards like Yen or Vincent lose value when there is nothing good to kill/steal.

Where I am right now I mostly lose lol. But I don't lose to NG any more than to other things. Depends on the deck. I lose with SK. But I win with NR and ST. I don't play MO and SY so I don't know but MO usually loses to NG and SY is more or less 50/50 afaik. Also depends what exactly you play from those factions. Greed decks going tall are usually auto-lose against NG, sadly.

A tip against NG: get another strategem. Tactical Advantage sucks against NG. You're basically moving 5 points to a unit that's gonna die anyway, and you deny yourself the only little advantage you have on their red coin. Magic Lamp or the ST Sabre is great.
Since you don't particularly have a high win rate against them your solutions are a bit too optimistic.

"Second, Ball engines (Dames) go down with 4 or 5" - So you fill your deck with special cards/and draw them all in one turn to take out 2-3 dames or you have 2-3 lock units? That's some luck you have. MO has only two units that lock if I remember correctly and they are 7 and 9 provision gold cards. The same for just putting out fodder, if it's cheap low pt fodder then you're already losing because poison units are 3-5 pts and Masquerade ball adds additional units to their field while you are losing points. If your leader ability is locked (and even if it isn't) they can just pass after the 4th turn and you use your best cards trying to scrape back points with most of your units abilities already locked or removed from the board.

As for NG being vulnerable to NR or elves that isn't even remotely true. I can disable point slams in NR by just taking 1-2 units using Miruna, same for ST and NG is capable of doing that much cheaper and will less risk since Miruna is random seize and requires strategic thinking to pull of.

If your suggestions are as successful as you believe them to be then I would have guessed you would have a higher win rate against NG so I don't see how you are validating them.

lastly "NG seems to have a card for every situation. Yeah. But if you gotta draw those cards when those exact situations "
:ROFLMAO: I don't know how to respond to this because it doesn't sound like you have played NG at all

Guest 4404014

Ok, so it seems you're right after all, and all the pros, tournament players and top streamers are wrong...

Top Bottom