Seven Cats Tavern (Potential spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loaded the save...Just to tell her this one more time...

:wub:

And yes - I am boring...I know that.

Knock them down using Aard. Then you can kill in one stab.

I know, but in case you haven't noticed - there's like 8 of them so normally I would use Aard or Igni for drowners, but since I'm also playing death march I just got the fuck out of there as there's no way you can win from that as a level 10.

Also, 190 hours played so far. I had no trouble with boss fights or other monsters but holy fuck... on my 2nd playthrough now and a group of 5-10 drowners, nekkers, or even wolves are a pain in the arse. Especially on death march, it's an absolute nightmare.

My latest observations: as much as I admire the scenery, and most of the stories of the game, two points are causing me to chuckle a bit.

I am now at level 20, and have amassed over 30,000 Crowns, without too much effort, just by hunting treasure and exploring. At this rate, I should be paying people to slay their monsters for them, or could offer free, or discounted rates, as a charity witcher-service. Geralt is far from the penniless monster-hunter, whose purse is always empty, but there just doesn't seem much on which to spend his gold. If the Northern Realms were truly so hard-pressed by the war with the Empire, it shouldn't, realistically, be possible to make quite so much coin. (Realistically, limited supplies, stockpiling, closed trade-routes -- whereby the amount of circulated gold diminishes -- and general wartime deprivation, would drive the economy to inflated prices for goods, and limited purchasing funds; however that is difficult to simulate convincingly, and wouldn't be as fun for some players.)

My second chuckle is over notes and letters: it seems quite a few bandits, pirates, travellers, huntsmen, peasants, and just about everybody else who ventured into the wilds, or died there, was a compulsive scribbler, or had a pen-friend who was. I realise the writing team were attempting to create little stories behind the corpses we find out there, and offer clues for locations and quests, but I think they rather overdid it a bit. I've simply found too many notes and letters for a mediaevalesque society, wherein literacy should be restricted. We don't think aught of short messages to-day, in a culture filled with social media and trivial communications, but in elder days, it was not as prevalent. Not every rogue who planned to attack the village nearby could write his mates, or his girl, a letter describing it, nor could every chap who found a treasure commit his final internal monologue to parchment. Ultimately it doesn't matter much, being a game, but it causes me to laugh, and shake my head a little. I won't say I'm annoyed, merely somewhat disappointed at the repetition, and inattention -- just a bit

There are a LOT of gamey elements. It IS a game and all, but I, like you, expected a bit more simulation. Another thing that bothers me apart from what you mentioned is the massive amount of valuable loot laying around, like

One of the griffin armor diagrams in a chest just next to Crow's Perch.

I understand if something valuable is at the bottom of the river, might have fallen from a transport barge. Or could collect dust in some old haunted ruins. But sitting right there? Also, lots of valuable alcohol, ore and crafting materials in regular containers in any little shack. This is how (I assume) you may collect thousands of crowns. Oh and also there is a ridiculous amount of "legendary" items, each one better than the other.

Truly valuable objects should be much more scarce and specially in times of war and famine, new armor and weapons should be something to celebrate.

And finally the eternal paradox of RPG's: if there are so many powerful deserters, why not hire them to kill the monsters? This might have been remedied by using an entirely different character progression system. Again CDPR fell for the action approach (although I'm enjoying the Axii upgrades). Since Geralt recovered is memory and is once again the legendary swordsman, it would have been interesting to focus his development towards personality and, sure, attack style variations. Not raw strength. I don't see how level 1 TW3 Geralt could have possibly faced the monsters in the novels.

And finally the eternal paradox of RPG's: if there are so many powerful deserters, why not hire them to kill the monsters? This might have been remedied by using an entirely different character progression system. Again CDPR fell for the action approach (although I'm enjoying the Axii upgrades). Since Geralt recovered is memory and is once again the legendary swordsman, it would have been interesting to focus his development towards personality and, sure, attack style variations. Not raw strength. I don't see how level 1 TW3 Geralt could have possibly faced the monsters in the novels.

Ay, it doesn't do to dwell too much on the imperfections, especially since there is so much that is truly fine! We must accept the limitations of the industry. However, you've a jolly good point: if some of those deserters had pursued their careers in the army, they could have become bloody heroes! I suppose the pay wasn't enough . . . . As to level 1 TWIII Geralt, I'm having just a wee bit of trouble imagining him fighting the some of the monsters from Assassins of Kings. . . . But, that's enough continuity and realism criticism for now -- back to adventuring!

In other news, still no Griggs -- damn.

Last edited:
I think in between games Geralt goes inside a chamber where time passes more slowly, and eats desserts, greasy meals and drinks booze all day. A couple of days later many months have passed for him and he's forgotten how to fight and got in really bad shape.

But I'm only criticizing the game because I love it :) It's easy to spot issues in such a magnificent game.

Speaking of which I went to the top part of Novigrad and the architecture is breathtaking. I'm also impressed at how well it runs on my computer (GTX 970, aging CPU). CDPR did a wonderful job, and I can't get enough. GOG Galaxy says 36 hours and 25 minutes but it seems to me I'm just getting started.

I'll be really honest here for a moment. I am a known cRPG super fan. I feel TW3 world is so impressive and detailed I am limited by playing "only" Geralt, who comes with a limited selection of possible interactions (all of which make sense). I imagine myself traversing this land as a treacherous thief, or a pious paladin, or a witty wizard, or a c--, a c-- umm... a damn cleric. Being able to say and do drastically different things depending on a custom made character with variable personality traits, also making combat truly variable and unique (or somewhat optional). This would be the game of ages.

It's just that all this free roaming, horse back riding and coming (sometimes) to people's aid makes me think of knights errant ala Malory's La Morte d'Arthur. I think CDPR did something fantastic for open world video games, now I'm just being greedy.

Last edited:
Speaking of which I went to the top part of Novigrad and the architecture is breathtaking. I'm also impressed at how well it runs on my computer (GTX 970, aging CPU). CDPR did a wonderful job, and I can't get enough. GOG Galaxy says 36 hours and 25 minutes but it seems to me I'm just getting started.
Well it damn well should run well with a GTX 970, considering it's one of the strongest GPU's out there :p (other than the expensive high-end stuff like 980 and Titan X)

Also in terms of being limited by Geralt, I really hope that CD Projekt decides to re-visit the witcher universe in future after they released few more games with a prequel where you can make your own witcher. Huge open world with the entire northern kingdoms available and being able to choose what witcher school you were from etc, it would be amazing.

@Ljesnjanin

You constitute, what, at least half the posting on Fringilla in the forum...so you probably know...

Will we see more of her in the game?

Unless you all are finding content I'm not, we basically got to say 'hey' and that's it!

So how come I didn't see any cyclops until my second playthrough? Or gargoyles. Or arachnids.

I can't believe how much of Skellige I missed the first time round.

So how come I didn't see any cyclops until my second playthrough? Or gargoyles. Or arachnids.
I have started my second playthrough yesterday, and five minut after arriving into Velen I have found quest I have missed before (not sure how could I miss this priest before). It's amazing how complex is world in this game.

Even in the same playthrough, you can come back to some locations, and met something completely different. I remember that I once was riding third or forth time the same road in Skellige, which I considered relatively safe, and I was really surprised when cyclope rushed at me from mountainside.

Last edited:
Wish I had more time to play this game... Can´t believe there are people here who are more advanced in their SECOND playthrough already than I am in my first!
:sad:

Wish I had more time to play this game... Can´t believe there are people here who are more advanced in their SECOND playthrough already than I am in my first!
:sad:

Don't worry mate, I'm also still on my first playthrough! Too busy killing monsters, being killed by monsters, exploring and doing side quests. I'm still in Novigrad for feck's sake, and I'm loving it! :)

I'm also still in Novigrad and trying to level up enough to upgrade my witcher gear (griffin). And yes, can't believe people are in their second playthrough! Then again, I don't have as much time to play so there's that. Just avoid spoilers and enjoy the game in your own terms.

Just reached Kaer Morhen for the first time (except the prologue, when I was too excited to watch the details). I must admit that I love every single "zone" in this game, but Kaer Morhen is just unbeliveable beautIfull. I remember how many times I was there in TW1 and seeing this level of detail, I can't even find the correct word which is describeing my feelings. So many memories.
If you are good exploler you can even find something which is related to the Salamander

I am close to the 80hours mark, altough my GOG Galaxy shows me "only" 62 hours. I had a few crashes and lost about 15 hours of gametime from that timer. I feel that I will finish it soon(ish) which makes me feel somewhat bittersweet. Bitter, because when it is ends it will ends about a 8 years long period in my life. To be honest, I don't really want to end this game, I want more than 2 expansions and a loads of new other kind of missions. 8 years is a long time, and there was no year when i did not played any of the Witcher games, I allways had it on my PC, and since 2011 I hade both, and right now, I have all of them. It was a great adventure (what the heck I writing? Don1t even finished the game....yet), I own the REDS so much beer for this.

Edit:
I am the only one who need an wolf chool armour set?

Last edited:
I am the only one who need an wolf chool armour set?
No, you are not. ;)

We need more armors...Strange, cause there are already hundreds...Beautiful design and historical accuracy but not Geralt-ish or witcher-ish enough, imho...I want classic style from W1 and W2 back :D

Actually, I finished the game wearing just 3 armor sets: Kaer Morhen, Temerian and enhanced Feline...

Would be nice a Master Witcher Jacket.... All black, with steel and silver details: nails, chains..... Oh and a little of White Wolf leather in the Roach's saddle

Awwww, let me dream about a surprising DLC of it in the future....

Last edited:
No, you are not. ;)

We need more armors...Strange, cause there are already hundreds...Beautiful design and historical accuracy but not Geralt-ish or witcher-ish enough, imho...I want classic style from W1 and W2 back :D

Actually, I finished the game wearing just 3 armor sets: Kaer Morhen, Temerian and enhanced Feline...

Thoose are looking awesome, but I kinda like the Griffin one as well, the cat is looking good from enchanted state, I am wearing that set right now.

I would like to see some hooded, or even cloacked armour as well. In the Artbook there is loads of very good concept art.

I am missing the hook from all the armours (except the starting gear)?

Thoose are looking awesome, but I kinda like the Griffin one as well, the cat is looking good from enchanted state, I am wearing that set right now.

I would like to see some hooded, or even cloacked armour as well. In the Artbook there is loads of very good concept art.

I am missing the hook from all the armours (except the starting gear)?

I guess they decided that since you put your trophies on Roach now, they hook wasn't needed, but, yeah, I miss it too.

OK... 3 words just after ending my first playthrought

1- As it couldn't be in another way, magic goes hand in hand with this game and me. I've finished ths toryh aka the credits started at 0:00 of today.... 20 minutes ago.
2- Special Thanks to EA Origins? Why?
3- Angry Joe voicing Trolls? OMG!!! ;)

PS... Any of you has any trouble with tears at the end? How can a honest player TW3 crying? The screen became so blurred :(:cry:!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom