Severe audio stuttering/distortion during riding and combat

+
I just bought The Witcher 3 yesterday and installed it on a brand new computer. The graphics and video run perfectly fine, but every time I either start riding or, at this point, get into combat, the sound starts breaking up very badly. It stutters/skips/gets really distorted, so that no dialogue is really distinguishable anymore. The thing is, it also often just doesn't get better once it's done that, so then I'm stuck even if I enter a less active part of the game. Cut scenes are fine. I have no trouble with any of my other games. Help? (And thank you.)

My specifics:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
Processor speed: 1498MHz
Intel Iris Plus Graphics
16 GB ram
512 GB SSD
Dell Inspiron 5593
Game is on the C Drive, along with other Steam downloads

Hm, that processor should be able to go a lot faster. What Windows power plan are you using?

Are you using any mods?

Also make sure your drivers are updated.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm currently using the standard Dell power plan. I can give you more info about any aspect of that you'd like; looking through the advanced settings for anything that seems like it might be relevant:
  • Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan:
    On battery: Balanced
    Plugged in: Balanced
  • Processor power management:
    Minimum processor state:
    On battery: 5%
    Plugged in: 5%
    System cooling policy:
    On battery: Passive
    Plugged in: Active
    Maximum processor state:
    On battery: 100%
    Plugged in: 100%
I'm always using it plugged in, and using the built-in speakers in my laptop.

No mods, and the drivers all appear up to date. (I have Intel(R) Display Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), and Realtek(R) Audio.

Intel Iris Plus Graphics

This is an integrated graphics card, and is not supported, unfortunately. :( Whether or not intensively 3D games will run on integrated GPU solutions is largely hit-or-miss.

TW3 requires either an Nvidia or AMD graphics card.

1575560936124.png

The audio issues could very well be caused by the data for the GPU creating interference with the overall sync of the game's processes. (Likely, the audio hardware itself is just fine.) Though I can't tell you how likely it is, you can check to see if the laptop has an expansion slot for a mobile GPU.

Hm. Now that you mention it, I just reviewed my laptop's product page from my receipt, and it specifically lists that it has an NVIDIA GeForce MX230. I'm not sure why that's not what's showing up in my computer's info.

I'm not home right now, but when I get back I'll check it and see if somehow it's using the wrong one or something?
Post automatically merged:

Yep, now NVIDIA GeForce MX230 is showing up. Intel Iris still is as well; could that be causing problems?

Last edited:
Yes, that could be causing it, although the card isn‘t that great and I probably wouldn‘t play on highest settings. It’s definitely a good idea to switch from integrated gpu to nvidia (for example with the NVIDIA control panel). Make sure you have the nvidia drivers installed...

I used MSI Afterburner to capture what's going on while playing, if this is of any help.
Post automatically merged:

Yep, the NVIDIA Driver is installed and updated. Could you provide more info on switching from Intel to NVIDIA? In the Afterburner main window it indicates GeForce as the graphics card, so I'm assuming perhaps that's what it's using?

Attachments

• Witcher_afterburner.jpg
    Witcher_afterburner.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 60
There are quite a few websites out there that can explain how to switch from an integrated gpu to Nvidia. I‘ve always avoided computers with integrated cards myself, so it might be better if you see for yourself. However, usually opening the Nvidia panal and going to 3D settings should let you pick the preferred gpu.

Also keep in mind that MSI Afterburner can cause framerate issues.

That's not at all uncommon for laptops to do. It's a power-saving feature, as I've learned. Always make sure you are playing demanding games with the laptop plugged in (+100% performance in some cases), and change the power settings to "Maximum Performance".

Go to your Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings --> Program-specific settings for witcher3.exe --> CUDA - GPUs --> and ensure only the Nvidia card is ticked.

1575643015099.png

Top Bottom