Sexism in the Witcher Series [SPOILERS]

+
Why would Joan of Arc need any armour? She never once fought in any battle of the Hundred Years War and was proud to state that she had never taken a single life, I suppose she might have worn some ceremonial piece while inspiring the troops but I can't remember this being stated in any history i've read.

She did lead from the front, even if she did not fight, was wounded at least once and was keen to return to action. Charles commissioned a suit in "white" iron (that is, without ornament) for her, and there are eyewitness accounts saying she wore that and various other armors. The tapestry is one of at most two likenesses from her century.

[Joan of Arc meeting the Dauphin at Chinon. German, 15th C.]
But what she really needed was clothing that would deter or slow down her own troops when they got randy. Men's doublet and hose, secured with laces and points, served her need well. The record of her trial has it that the priests allowed her to continue to wear it at times, as protection from her jailers.

Last edited:
And (as we've dumped spoiler tags) they'd have made her naked for a short time in the two scenes where she transforms from Dragon to Human in front of Geralt's eyes. With strategically placed rocks or foliage, no doubt.

Mhm. But yeah, I think spoilers should be expected in a thread like this.

So, how exactly Saskia's or Ves' armor presents her as INTRINSICALLY INFERIOR?

Yes, if you telling me that male armours are to protected their body from deadly blows. In that case women in TW world are superior to men by being stronger or inferior by being less useful and easier to dispense with than a man with armor.

No, if you telling me that male armours are chosed by their onwer just to feel good with themself and satisfy the male-hero-ego and CDPR consider young heterosexual males are just sexual impulsive market.

To make like other devs appelling to basic instinc of male is really the MATURE and REALISTIC GAME CDPR wanted to create?

To me, you can put any fantasy or exageration or naked women in any game as you like. It won't worry me at all because, on the contrary of some of you believe, I am not a feminist. I try to be reasonably critical.

All I say is that I just see this incongruence in a game so great as TW and suddendly finding an easy and vulgar resouce of atracting young male gamer (?¿ that has been said by you)), It seems I the only one who notice it. Between the great characters, females and males, in the whole game, leading us in a high quality of details and realism, suddenly the 2 only female warrior in the game are wearing weird armours in the battleland. I love the dresses design in the rest of situation (tavern, rooms, streets...) but in battleland? ? ? ?. It's puting the female warrior in inferior condition of protection against the enemy. You call i sexism. I call it incongruencey in TW games quality that deserves a little and humble critical opinion gamer.

Last edited:
So stubborn @wichat :p, I like that!

Saskia's role is not exactly the role of a warrior so to speak.
Take kings for example, their armor wasn't really the armor of a warrior, it was the armor of a leader, and wasn't really practical in the battlefield whatsoever. Take Henselt's armor for example, so much stuff dangling around. The only practical uses, are maybe the fact that when the sun shone upon him, an enemy would be blinded. The leaders wear what they wear, to inspire the soldiers around them. And as previously stated, Saskia would be dumb not to take advantage of the fact that every peasant would want to shag her, even more than he would want to shag a beautiful lamb.. She is taking advantage of sexism as a form of idiocy, and as Reptile said, in that way CDPR shows us that sexism is quite idiotic indeed.

But I always think that a very few female armour is sexist by its a warlike incongruence AND THAT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION which can never and ever labels this great game as sexist.

It's puting the female warrior in inferior condition of protection against the enemy. You call i sexism. I call it incongruencey in TW games quality that deserves a little and humble critical opinion gamer.

Actually it was you who called Saskia's and Ves' armor sexist, not me.

Sexism is not about armor offering less protection and leaving women more vulnerable. Bad armor does not make women intrinsically inferior.Women being intrinsically inferior to men means that women are less strong, less intelligent, and in general less capable than men. It has nothing to do with any objects.

I agree, Saskia's and Ves' armor is a fan service, but this has nothing to do with gender discrimination (sexism) because such armor does not make Saskia or Ves inferior in their abilities.

Actually it was you who called Saskia's and Ves' armor sexist, not me.

Sexism is not about armor offering less protection and leaving women more vulnerable. Bad armor does not make women intrinsically inferior.Women being intrinsically inferior to men means that women are less strong, less intelligent, and in general less capable than men. It has nothing to do with any objects.

I agree, Saskia's and Ves' armor is a fan service, but this has nothing to do with gender discrimination (sexism) because such armor does not make Saskia or Ves inferior in their abilities.

Did you really understand what I've wroten or just did not read it?

Yes, if you telling me that male armours are to protected their body from deadly blows. In that case women in TW world are superior to men by being stronger or inferior by being less useful and easier to dispense with than a man with armor.

No, if you telling me that male armours are chosed by their onwer just to feel good with themself and satisfy the male-hero-ego and CDPR consider young heterosexual males are just sexual impulsive market.

To make like other devs appelling to basic instinc of male is really the MATURE and REALISTIC GAME CDPR wanted to create?

To me, you can put any fantasy or exageration or naked women in any game as you like. It won't worry me at all because, on the contrary of some of you believe, I am not a feminist. I try to be reasonably critical.

All I say is that I just see this incongruence in a game so great as TW and suddendly finding an easy and vulgar resouce of atracting young male gamer (?¿ that has been said by you)), It seems I the only one who notice it. Between the great characters, females and males, in the whole game, leading us in a high quality of details and realism, suddenly the 2 only female warrior in the game are wearing weird armours in the battleland. I love the dresses design in the rest of situation (tavern, rooms, streets...) but in battleland? ? ? ?. It's puting the female warrior in inferior condition of protection against the enemy. You call i sexism. I call it incongruencey in TW games quality that deserves a little and humble critical opinion gamer.

I'm saying is not realistic. You say I say is sexist by inferiority, ReptileZ say is because of men are horny, etc, etc, etc.... I see I cannot express myself corectly in order some of you could understand me. Sorry. I give up.

So stubborn @wichat :p, I like that!

Yes I am, because I believe my point of view. My little and humble grain of sand about adelicious design clothe out of place that some try to become a sexist war ignoring my opinions on great game, great characters, great story.

Do you remember this?

I am praying (and I'm an atheist) that CD RED are going to seriously tone down the sexism. No slut shaming, no nude models of Triss, Yenneffer and CIri as tacky pr. I understand that it's a dark world with all that implies but still, please try and keep it classy guys - maybe take a leaf out of Tomb Raider to see how to handle woman characters.
And I only say my opinion about the moment when a charater wears some kind of armour!!!!!! I'm not the enemy, boys, keep calm, OK? And excuse me If I must to abuse of Google translator.

Last edited:
@alyza

Think you. Just

Thank you

There needs to be more manbutt in W3

--
@wichat

I understand what you're arguing, but there needs to be a distinction between what is historically accurate (and manipulating men via their penises was, at that time, socially "appropriate", in that sexism was still so prevalent that that option was readily available to women) and what is sexist on the part of CDPRED. Just because they develop an environment where sexism is rampant doesn't mean they share those views. In fact, imposing modern-day views on sexism onto a medieval, barbaric world would ruin the setting because it isn't accurate. Sexism isn't right, but it would be ignorant of CDPRED to exclude it because modern belief tells us it's wrong. It would be like editing out every racial slur from To Kill a Mockingbird - of course racism is wrong, but the story is meant to represent and reflect on less evolved times and conflicts.

Last edited:
I won't get into the debate too much, I've participated in it over a dozen times and I see there is a rehash of the same arguments.

What I will say is that The Witcher 2, despite some flaws in its representation of women (ie, Saskia and Ves' armor, Triss' practically insignificant role in the plot..etc), was a vast improvement over The Witcher 1 (which had severe missteps in that regard).

And I hope The Witcher 3 will thus be an improvement over its predecessors, by involving its main female characters (Triss, Ciri, Yennefer, among others) as main, pro-active characters in the plot, and not just as plot devices whether for having a damsel in distress or a cheesy ego-stroking love triangle. the Witcher 3 has the opportunity to make really memorable female characters (as TW2 did with Sile and Philippa), so I will choose to hope for that.

This topic again. I am with KoP on this - I have participated in countless discussions over this topic, and I am not about to get into it again.

Keep fighting the good fight, wichat! I don't know how you find the will to keep repeating yourself without going mad. :flower:

This topic again. I am with KoP on this - I have participated in countless discussions over this topic, and I am not about to get into it again.

Keep fighting the good fight, wichat! I don't know how you find the will to keep repeating yourself without going mad. :flower:

I reboot after the next post :)

For me sex is part of The Witcher's lore. In both previous games is a part of the world, of the character, of his personality. TW3 has to be for adult people like the others, as sex is part of the lore of the game. I don't like games with "free sex" or "free nude girls", but in this games is really well implemented and makes all more reliable. It seems that is going to be a girl too in TW3, no?

Removing sexism from Witcher 3 is akin to removing bigotry, racism and other unsavory things. It's a medieval dark fantasy world stuff like this are quintessential for storytelling and immersion's sake, I don't want a Disney fantasy I want Game of Thrones levels of fantasy. CDPR shouldn't shy away from anything. It's a good thing they're independent.

Removing sexism from Witcher 3 is akin to removing bigotry, racism and other unsavory things. It's a medieval dark fantasy world stuff like this are quintessential for storytelling and immersion's sake, I don't want a Disney fantasy I want Game of Thrones levels of fantasy. CDPR shouldn't shy away from anything. It's a good thing they're independent.

I agree with you completely, but I do not think that is what the sexism complaints are about. Actually, I think the writers held back, except for Moril and Ves. What the complaints are about is not anything to do with the substance of the game but really just fan service. Saskia's "Victoria's Secret" armor is the prime example.

Last edited:
I agree with you completely, but I do not think that is what the sexism complaints are about. Actually, I think the writers held back, except for Moril and Ves. What the complaints are about is not anything to do with the substance of the game but really just fan service, and Saskia's "Victoria's Secret" armor is the prime example.

This. I guess fan service can be tacky depending on it's use, but it's going a bit far for crying sexism.

Top Bottom