SGSSAA and The Witcher 2?

+
SGSSAA and The Witcher 2?

Hi there,
i was just wondering why SGSSAA does not work with TW2, being a DX9 game and all.
The point is, the Ubersampling option (which is OGSSAA or Downsampling, i understand) gives me a really nice and smooth picture, but as you all know, it simply ruins a pc's performance. So i was hoping that there was a way to enable SGSSAA via the Catalyst Control Center, to make the game as smooth as with ubersampling but without crippling performance - it works for almost all DX9 games, but here it still doesn't do anything.
Does anyone know a workaround or something to make this work?

I think that you may need a tweaked or modded catalyst driver. The only big problem is that many modded catalysts make the system unstable. At least, you may look for infos on dedicated forums! ;)

This game does not do well with any forced settings: frequently it breaks, or it just won't honor them. If the "SSAA" setting in CCC (CCC calls AMD's SGSSAA implementation just "SSAA") doesn't do any good, well, it doesn't. I thought AMD's implementation was for DX10/11 only, not DX9, but they may have added DX9 support.

For a cheap alternative, have you tried FXAA, or its successor SMAA, http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html This does work, but is not compatible with overlays such as MSI Afterburner or FRAPS.

GuyN said:
This game does not do well with any forced settings: frequently it breaks, or it just won't honor them. If the "SSAA" setting in CCC (CCC calls AMD's SGSSAA implementation just "SSAA") doesn't do any good, well, it doesn't. I thought AMD's implementation was for DX10/11 only, not DX9, but they may have added DX9 support.

For a cheap alternative, have you tried FXAA, or its successor SMAA, http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html This does work, but is not compatible with overlays such as MSI Afterburner or FRAPS.

Yeah, forcing SSAA does either nothing or makes everything transparent ^^
AMD has SSAA for DX9 since the HD5800-series, DX10 and 11 were added only a few weeks ago and only on the new HD7000 series.
FXAA or SMAA are no alternative, they don't prevent the flickering of textures and fine geometry like vegetation and stuff. This can only be achieved by Supersampling, but sadly the in-game OGSSAA is just too performance-hungry. Well, then no SGSSAA for me i guess.

Top Bottom