Shader bug/pixellation in cutscenes on widescreen

+
I also have the pixellization, even with my old monitor 4:3 (playing at 1024x768), and now with my new 16:9 monitor (playing at 1440x900).My specs are------------------System Information------------------ Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111) Language: Italian (Regional Setting: Italian) BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz Memory: 2046MB RAM Page File: 541MB used, 3397MB available DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)---------------Display Devices--------------- Card name: Radeon X1900 GT Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x724B) Display Memory: 256.0 MB Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz) Monitor: Monitor Plug and Play Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200 Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6860 (Catalyst 8.9 English)

Just for what it's worthy - I changed my nvidia 7900GT card just yesterday for ati HD4870 and suddenly I am observing pixelation bug. Concerning configuration, everything else is the same, so I believe the bug must be somehow related to graphics card or some particular feature.With both cards I have been using same monitor with 1680x1050 resolution.Originally I have been trying to use the fix for 7900GT (with setting AF in nv control panel, and setting it to 1 in game), but did not notice the difference and both looked smooth. Currently I am running latest vanilla drivers for ATI (Catalyst 8.9 without CCC), so I cannot experiment with CCC.EDIT: Just to add that I have been running both cards with TWEE (patched from regular version).

@ Wiccer:Ok.... but have you test the workarounds from this thread?In the CatalystControlCenter => 3D => AF to 8x or 16x?If that don't work try my other workaround above.

Just to update the topic, I have tried different things mentioned in this thread on my HD4870 with Catalyst 8.9:1) Using Catalyst Control Center to force 16xAF, and 8xAA, setting game respective settings to 1x, none. It did not help.2) Set Alternate Pixel Center in CCC. Did not help either, but created some artifacts on the bottom of the screen (looking like a "snowing frame")The only thing that helped was setting lighting quality to medium. Which is ironic, because I would expect HD4870 to be able to handle high. On the other side, I did not notice difference between "high" and "medium" in the game, so it seems something is probably broken there already.Concerning the pixelation, I have also noticed that it is visible not only in cutscenes (and mostly visible on character faces), but also on different types of fires (either of torches - e.g. in prison at the beginning of Ch.2 - or camp fires). So it seems to be really related to "lighting" somehow.

Generally the game runs smoothly for me and looks fine when walking around etc. but the dialogue cutscenes don't look as good - there is some graphical corruption like horizontal banding. It's more noticeable when light is shining on it. Is this a common problem? If so, is there a fix?Is this the same issue as the "blurriness during cutscenes" issue in the FAQ?Here is a screenshot: It's very obvious when there is movement - and it's most noticeable on faces.I'm running everything on High at 1680x1050 with 2xAA and 8xAF (also Depth of Field). I've tried disabling Depth of Field and changed some settings in Nvidia control panel (e.g. AA and AF settings, force Vsync) but it made no difference to this issue.I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers (178.13). Here is my system:Asus P5E3 Deluxe WifiQ6600 @ 3GHz2GB DDR3 @ 1333MHzBFG 8800GT OCSamsung Spinpoint F1 750GBThanks,

b3n said:
Is this the same issue as the "blurriness during cutscenes" issue in the FAQ?
try this:
Cut-scenes blurrynessA1: Disable Depth of Field in gameA2: If the blurryness continues turn LIGHTS on Medium or LowA3: ATI USERS go to ATI CCC, find the option called "Alternate Pixel Center", make sure it is checkedA4: NVIDIA USERS go in the nVidia Control Panel, force Anisotropic Filtering and setting it to 1 in-game

Just got the game yesterday and I'm getting the same problem on my 16:10 monitor. Forcing AF didn't help, disabling depth of field fixed nothing. I do not want to have to lower my detail settings to fix this irritating issue. It'd be nice to hear from the devs on this one.

Hey I think I reached an acceptable compromise.I already had Depth of Field switched off so I don't think that's related.I set Lighting to Medium, and Anisotropic filtering to 6x in-game (in Nvidia Control Panel it is 2x).I set Anti-aliasing to 2x in game.Now I don't see the horizontal banding in cutscenes, although everything is slightly "flatter" as I only have Medium Lighting instead of High. It's more immersive now though.Thanks,

b3n said:
Generally the game runs smoothly for me and looks fine when walking around etc. but the dialogue cutscenes don't look as good - there is some graphical corruption like horizontal banding. It's more noticeable when light is shining on it. Is this a common problem? If so, is there a fix?Is this the same issue as the "blurriness during cutscenes" issue in the FAQ?
AFAIK this issue is not blurriness issue. So please do not confuse it. I did not find the reference in FAQ, but I remember different thread which dealt with this issue. People complained about having blurry graphics after coming back to the game from cutscenes.What you posted is exactly what is already described as "pixelation". What bothers me though, there is no response from devs. This is clearly affecting high end hardware and it is clearly present on both ATI and Nvidia. I would expect them to fix it.

Blurry-Bug after Cutscenes is here => http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17287.new;topicseen#new

I also had the same problem on my 8800GTS, however, after downloading the Drivers that Nvidia released just today: v178.24 and forcing AF to 16x with the game setting to AF 1x my cutscenes are crystal clear! :)I have everything on maxed besides AF in game.Hopefully the drivers work for you.

Hi guys,I've purchased W:EE recently and so far I love the game. However there is wierd graphical bug that really ruins the immersion for me, and therefore strongly deminishes my enjoyment of the game.I have Radeon 4870x2 videocard, and I am plying the game with graphical settings maxed. Everthing looks great, excent that in all dialogs there are multiply wierd horizontal lines on top of character models, most noticable on their faces. This glitch is much more noticable when characters are moving (the lines are fixed in place in relation to the screen, so these horizontal distortions on the character images are very visible whenever they move - and they move a little all the time).However even on static screenshots you can easily see it (look at the face/neck, as well as upper hands of the sorceress) . Here is the original image as well as its "x2 zoomed" copy, to illustrate my point:Few additional notes: This "Horizontal lines" bug is clearly tied to the "Lighting Quality" settings in the game - if I reduce it from "High" to "Low/Medium" it dissapears. But I hate to do it, since the game looks much better on high quality lighting setting - the world is "warmer" and it seems more alive.The bug only appears during dialogs (and cutscenes), the world itself (as well as characters outside dialogs/cutscenes) looks fine.I am using latest 8.10 Catalyst drivers with my Diamond Radeon 4870x2 videocard.Before posting here I've tried to apply various fixes that were suggested on this forum, such as :1. Forced AF16 through Catalyst Center settings - while setting it to x1 in-game: Result - no effect, muliple horizontlal lines are still present.2. "Alternate Pixel Center" turned On in Catalyst Center settings . The result - no effect on the horizontal lines bug, plus additional graphical artifacts on the edges of the screen.3. Forced AA 8 ("box" style) , as well as Vertical Synch. through Catalyst Center settings. The result - no effect on the bug.I had Catalyst AI turned off during my experiments.The only pseudo-fix that helps is reducing Lighting Quality, but as I've mentioned earlier I really hate to do it.I want to love this game, but this issue is very irritating, given the amount of dialogs and cutscenes in the game. Please help![MOD]Use the EDIT button.[/MOD]

Yah Me personally--I'll never buy a RADEON card again! They suck. Should of got a NVIDIA. Luckily, i learned this with my last computer. You'll probably just have to deal with the Light quality at medium.

I have the same problem, got the game today and have the same graphics card as you. I came here and registered to post the same problem. Hopefully a patch happens, cause it makes the cut scenes look like crap. Game looks good though outside of the cutscenes.

If you say so Mejo. Maybe I was just unfortunate enough to buy a Radeon card that almost no game supported :dead:ADD: Maybe it's just the cards that end in uneven increments of 100 ie mine was the Radeon 9250--piece a crap.

I started a thread a while back about horizontal lines too. My problem seems much serious in comparison. I had a couple of lines running across the screen during gameplay only.Anyways, just wanted to share that i'm running a HD4850 so I agree that it may be a Radeon problem. However, i personally think it is due to some other factor because some Nvidia card users also had the same problem as me.I hope that you can solve your problem without lowering the lighting. Medium lighting just makes the graphics go from beautiful to forgettable.

It seems that many different people, almost all of which are Radeon cards users, have been affected by this bu.By the way, I personally used NVidea 9800 card with Witcher before upgrading to Radeon this month, and I can confirm that although similar lines were presented initially with NVidea, that issue was fixed by forcing AF8 or AF16 through NVidea control center. However that workaround solution does not work with my currenr Radeon card. So it is definetly Radeon-specific issue. Unfortuantely there has been no info so far in this thread about possible fixes or workaround. Any suggestions?Since this is very serious graphical bug (just look at the screenshots), I wonder if there had been any info regarding it from developers? Are they aware of this bug? Perhaps one of the moderetors could be so kind to comment on this bug? I've read this rorum quite a bit before registering to post about my problem, I know that both moderators and developers have been very helpful on some issues in the past. So I still have hope, although I've been forced to put playing Witcher on hold because of this serious graphic corruption issue.Any comments?

Top Bottom