Shadow config tweak. Some help please - Close shadows not showing up.

+
Shadow config tweak. Some help please - Close shadows not showing up.

Argh,...
For the life of me, no matter which shadow tweaks I use from the guides online, none of them fix the issue with some objects not having a shadow until you are nearly standing on top of them.

The nvidia guide shows that will all tweaks on, in this screenshot comparison, that the tweaks remove this issue. Look at the wooden bench on the right side of the horse he is on, and notice how with tweaks ON, the bench has a shadow.

http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-config-file-tweaks-interactive-comparison-2-on-vs-off.html

(its an nvidia side by side comparison link, showing how it looks on my computer (left side) and how it looks with the tweaks set (right side)

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

I don't know what is your GPU, but this works great for my 970:

- first set shadows to high in game than quit.
- open the xml and change these options to the folowing values:

CascadeShadowmapSize=2048
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=4
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=4

and that's it. If the bench can't cast shadow, decrease CascadeShadowDistanceScale0 to 3 or 2

I don't know what is your GPU, but this works great for my 970:

- first set shadows to high in game than quit.
- open the xml and change these options to the folowing values:

CascadeShadowmapSize=2048
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=4
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=4

and that's it. If the bench can't cast shadow, decrease CascadeShadowDistanceScale0 to 3 or 2

Is this the user.settings file? Or the one in config-base-rendering? Or both?

It's the user.settings file.

I use:

CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2.5

Everything looks great with Ultra level shadow detail plus increased draw distance and detail. No performance loss on a 980 ti.

Is this the user.settings file? Or the one in config-base-rendering? Or both?

it's the user.settings in my documents folder. You don't need to change anything in the config-base directory, just add any settings to the user file. The game will use that to overwrite the config-base one.

CascadeShadowmapSize=3072

this is way too high for a 970.

No performance loss on a 980 ti.

well... almost 2x the performance of the 970... so even hairworks won't cause performance loss :p

CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2.5

this is the compendium config. I notice that there is some houses that don't cast interior shadow beyond some point. So I'm using a config to cast shadows even furter to aliviate that.

Top Bottom