shadow puppet masters in CP77

+
shadow puppet masters in CP77

So, this is a gameplay style which I call the "shadow puppet master" style, for of a lack of a better term, because it might allow fulfilling mission objectives via an indirect or passive (aggressive) manner. This isn't a pacifist style because it's possible you might end up doing some not-so-pacifist things while adopting this style, but the idea is to accomplish an objective without it being known that you were involved.

You might be thinking of some Hitman games right now, and you're on the right track, but the idea is that this gameplay style should allow "shadow" options for all types of objectives, and not just those which involve offing someone. I can easily see Corps, Cops, Rockerboys and Medias getting into this style of play.

Personally, I would like to see persuasion, coercion, etc. type dialogue options; if you don't want to talk to someone directly, maybe you should have the option to "coach" someone else do to the talking for you. Depending on the person chosen and your coaching, you might succeed in the your objective.

It might also be cool to have disguises in the game; disguises would work better if NPCs were allowed to identify you differently depending on your disguise.

Should such gameplay options be added at all? What are some things you would like to see if such a gameplay style is implemented.

For corps and fixers all this makes perfect sense...

However Rockers and Medias don't really operate from shadows... the operate from brightly lit stages, often with pyrotechnics and information tickers...

Not so sure about "coaching", but yeah I'd like to send my underlings /team do some missions and maybe they could better at it over time. Or maybe we could even level them up.

Disguises should be requirement for every game. But they shouldn't be foolproof, you'd still need indentification/ keycard when going through secured doors / checkpoints. Also your cover could be blown if you get too close to others, at this point you could maybe try and convince/charm/ intimidate them that you belong there.

If instead of disguises you used the term Personae then I think that this would be a viable option for hiding your involvement in certain operations. Keep in mind that each persona includes a lot of work: physical disguise, language and dialect modification, paper trails and more aptly cyber trails. If you want to fool a net runner or a fixer (and most people will hire these roles to do background checks on new contacts) you will have to spend time, money and effort to make your personae stand up to scrutiny.

If you can do this, then I think that the puppet master style is doable and I would definitely like to try that style. This kind of goes back to the pacifist playthrough thread.

If you can do this, then I think that the puppet master style is doable and I would definitely like to try that style. This kind of goes back to the pacifist playthrough thread.
Nah, that's the whole point, it should be possible to be either pacifist or not while assuming such a gameplay style, as with any other style.

I like the term persona, it's more accurate for what I wanted to describe. I especially like the idea of being required to maintain the secrecy of your persona. Nice.

This seems perfect for Corps and Fixers as Wisdom said. If I play Corp....ha, who am I kidding, when I play Corp, I'd see myself as a manipulative puppet master, working behind the scenes and directing Solos or corrupt Cops to do some of my dirty work. How cool would it be to have grand and pompous board meetings where you're deceiving everyone, directing everything to your own goals? Or if you have a heart, you'll be steering them the other way. I'd still want to get my hand dirty though, take care of business myself on occasion.

For corps and fixers all this makes perfect sense...

However Rockers and Medias don't really operate from shadows... the operate from brightly lit stages, often with pyrotechnics and information tickers...

thats right, operating from the shadows isnt the style of a Rockerboy or a Media

yeah but a Rockerboy attacking from the shadows? never

Agreed, Wisdom is right. The whole ethos of the rockerboy and the media is that they are VERY open and public faces. I will admit though that they could possibly have secondary identities from which they conduct these activities. I don't mean an entire identity, history and all, merely a mask, a bank account and a voice synthesizer. With those you could be all but untraceable in the right circumstances.

Top Bottom