Shadowrun Returns

+
Shadowrun Returns

It is time.

"Here it is: The Official Release Date for Shadowrun Returns is July 25, 2013. " from HBS.

Thus I begin a thread devoted to the other major cyberpunk game. The Game Gibson Pretends Doesn't Exist. The one with the Elves. Also Dwarves, (yes, Chris!), Trolls, Orcs and even Humans. Netrunning, cyberware, vehicle rigging and corporate intrigue side-by-side with...ah..magic. And Dragons. The occasional Sasquatch.
If you're smirking a bit, then good news! You're right to do so! It -is- Cyberpunk Meets DnD!

But it's also a lot of fun. No, it's not as scarily prescient, or prescient at all, as Cyberpunk 2020. No, it's not as edgy, nasty and real. You can walk down the Street twenty years from now and nothing Shadowrun-y will happen to you, unlike Cyberpunk, where it could happen to you tomorrow.

If you like a bit of fantasy in your tech, playing wizards appeals to you or seeing what happens when you give a 7-foot-tall Troll cyberlimbs and an autocannon, then you might want to check out Shadowrun and Shadowrun Returns, the current videogame incarnation of it.

Have some links!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

http://www.shadowrun4.com/

http://www.shadowrun.com/

And an image!

And a video!

Thanks for the info.

I will prolly play for a few hrs and try, try to soak up some of the atmosphere.

I'm gonna play...First Nations Street Sam. Probably. Or Troll Sam. Or Physical Adept. Or. Hm. Netrunner if it's cool. Definitely one of those.

Mostly because years ago I saw this image and I wanted the game:

And by the way Sard, I still expect you to make a mission based on the LA shoot out scene from Heat for me!!

The editor looks very good so I now expect the whole movie to be remade, please!!!!!!!;)

Goddamn, sir, you have such hopes.

A HEAT remake in SRR. Hmm. that does sound most intriguing.

I don't have the level editor yet - that was the $250 KS level. My beloved would have used me for a toilet plunger if I'd done that. Soon, though!

Wonder what degree of vehicles are in the game....otherwise it have to be some kind of cutscene for the opener with the armoured car robbery. You could start the player right after they jump out of the van...And just before Waingro is an idiot.

I have faith in you sard, in one post you have already worked out how to get past the fact there are no moving vehicles in SRR

Can you imagine the shoot out in the abandoned car park(?), with the character played by Henry Rollins . One of your team as a sniper, the other using a car as cover, would be awesome

Never mind how amazing the bank job shoot out would be to play against lonestar or a corp team

Drek I really want this as a mission now, and I wanna watch Heat!!

I'm reading the Heat script right now, actually.

The bank shoot out would have to be Lone Star or some other defend-the-public cops. It's important during the bit where Cerrito takes the kid hostage and Hanna has to drop him, then hugs the kid.

Also when Hanna deals with the distraught mother of waingro's victim.

That morality of choice above need. Hanna has it. Working for a Corp other than Lonestar would pollute it. I wonder if there is an organization that's not corporate he and his crew could work for. Hmmm. Salish-Sidhe Police, maybe? Too far out of SR practice.

Aditya, it was on Steam for pre-order. It will be again.

A whole lot of Let's Play footage, courtesy of Loserific. If I understand correctly, this is a user made mission.

So I see Shaman, Decker, Street Sam, Mage, Rigger, Physical Adept.

They have Key Attributes, Key Skills and Key Specializations. Deckers have Expert Systems. Sams get any weapon.

I don't know current SR well enough to say if this is regular char creation. All those were present in old versions, though.

Skill seem to have abilities as you level them up.

No Stealth skill anymore.

Melee is very potent. Magic looks great. Decking looks like fun. MUST HAVE ALL.

I've just read the FAQ for SRR. It covers a lot of questions about the game engine.

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/25197/shadowrun-returns-faq-unofficial

Here is something I noticed: when you build a level, you can include or exclude a lot of things. This includes archetypes, ( classes) and probably races.

So you can exclude Mage, Shaman and Physical Adept, the magic classes. And metahumans.

Leaving you with Solo..er, Street Samurai, Decker and Rigger, ( Techie with a drone focus. Also repairs).

You can exclude all magic-using NPCs and all critters. You can design whole maps around real people ina noir setting where high tech and low life meet.

And what do you have at that point?

You have Cyberpunk.

You can modify and name items, assault rifles, SMGs, pistols to things like, oh, FN-RAL.

You can create runs focussing on Netrunning, or whole areas where "runs" don't happen at all. You jsut wander around talking to people and advancing the plot.

You can have whole quests where your Corporate, ( since skills aren't limited to class, so you can be charismatic and good with people and money), just talks to people and resolves all conflict - or makes it worse - through dialogiue choices that trigger based on stats and Role and open p other options.

I gotta tell you, I'm thinking about trying this in a couple weeks. Cyberpunk 2020 in the SRR editor.

7 Days till launch!

If you guys enjoy cyberpunk, cyberware and a corporate-run dark future, you should check this out. Launch trailer!

And, yes, there are elves. BUT. BUT. You get to shoot them. A lot! And play a Troll! Which is, well, cool.

A Troll hacker, if you want. With an autocannon. Yes. An augmented Troll hacker with an autocannon. How is that not awesome?

Looking good, but unfortunately no manual saving :( Not really interested playing again last 15 minutes if things don't go my way.
Also bit worried they finished the game so fast. Will wait for reviews and decide after that if I'll get it.

By the way is this first "big" Kickstarter game to come out?

Top Bottom