Shanimance

+
I have already posted this in another thread but I will re-post it here as well since this is about Shani romance:

SHANI SHOULD HAVE BEEN A LEGIT ROMANCE OPTION WITH A 3RD ROMANCE ENDING!!!

And don' t tell me it couldnt be done because it would not fit within the main game, because it totally would! Here' s how:

if you are playing the expansion before you finished your main game (not after or via the main menu), and you romance Shani, convince her not to leave for Kaedwen, you then have a conversation about how you are going to fight the Wild Hunt and she volunteers to go to Skellige with everyone else to help heal the injured from the battle.

So Geralt sends her to Dandelion' s inn where if you already romanced Yeneffer or Triss or both, Shani finds out by talking to them and Geralt then ends up being alone. Shani leaves for Kaedwen not going to Skellige and Yeneffer and Triss are very angry. This should make the player feel guilty!
No 4-some scene here : D

If not, you see Shani before the battle begins in the tent where you talk about your future with her, just like Triss and Yen' s romance.

You both decide you want to stay on the road, traveling the world, Geralt killing monsters and Shani helping the locals with medical problems.

When compared to Triss and Yeneffer, she is an angel. Didn't lie, didn't betrayed anyone. Doesn' t treat Geralt like shit.

Except Geralt eventually settles down with either Yennefer or Triss. Shani should have been an actual choice for a bachelor Geralt.

No my point is that she is packing it take with her, but then she just vanishes and doesn't even take her stuff. Seems like a thread that may be resolved in the next expansion, if not it is just plan bad/lazy writing.

I headcanon that she's in the ladies room taking care of business and will be back shortly. Pretty basic, I know... :hope:

Talking about closure, and seeing that there's quite a few posts about how the end of the game is a bit of an immersion killer, my favourite spot to hang out in is Shani's house. There's a feeling that she's still there even though you don't see her anymore.

Still a better option for me than...
...an empty Kaer Morhen overgrown with weeds. There's nothing but loneliness there.

IMO, I really liked what they did with Shani, it was something different and refreshing. IMO, again, I think some people are angry because in RPGs with romances, it is usually the PC who has total control over the relationship. Whether or not there will be a relationship and even whether it succeeds or not. This time around, the NPC was the one that had control. And honestly, I saw the "break up" coming a mile away.

We had several clues at the wedding that Shani wasn't that into Geralt. If you pick a dialogue option calling Geralt boring, Shani agrees. It's obvious that she prefers a man like Valdimir over Geralt. If you take Valdimir to speak to O'Dimm, you can tell that Shani liked none of what was said, even the part about her being there for Geralt and not him. And remember O'dimm twists the truth. He wanted to hurt Valdimir and sure Shani may have wanted to be there with Geralt originally but somewhere during the night that changed. Then she wanted to compare the kiss between Geralt and Valdimir. I didn't even know about the flowers on Valdimir's tomb after HoS. That just cements it even more for me. I think Shani sleeps with Geralt only to see if there is something there and/or to get a goodbye bang in before "breaking up". Notice she says she has to think it over after the sex. Why? Because being with Geralt in that manner did not give her the answer she wanted.

And yeah Geralt has matured and is ready to settle. And yes Shani is ready to settle. But does that mean that she has to want to settle with Geralt?? Just because you want to settle doesn't mean you should settle with the first person who wants to settle with you. At the end of the day, Geralt got dumped because Shani loves Geralt but she isn't IN love with Geralt.. lol! My Geralt slept with Shani and saw her as a friend only so he was totally cool with her "dumping" him.

TLDR: If Valdimir was alive he would have stolen Shani from Geralt no doubt about it.

Edit: And also, the fact that O'Dimm endorses the relationship and encourages Geralt to pursue Shani should have been a major red flag. He thrives on the pain and misery of others. So why would he push Geralt toward any sort of happiness?

Last edited:
Is it one of the flowers Geralt gave to her during the wedding of Shanis friend? In this case she is clearly in love with Vlodimir and not with Geralt anymore....

Loved Shani in HoS, the girl who did the voice acting did a sensational job. The wedding quest was one of, if not, the most enjoyable quests in both Wild Hunt and HoS.

i liked the cute romance. the wedding sequence, particularly the slipper in the pond, was probably the most hilarious scene in the entire game (including the original).

HOWEVER, i think Shani's role was far too limited. think about it, what does she do? meet Geralt in the sewers, gets saved by Geralt/vice versa, walks with Geralt to the crypt and stays outside; attends a wedding with Geralt/Vlodomir, talk about her lack of love life; a one-night stand.

later on she lowers a rope so Geralt can get into the Academy...which wasn't even strictly necessary as Geralt points out, just avoids violence. which Geralt does anyway when he gets into the Academy.

i understand she's a non-magical medic and all, but...that's not exactly a whole bunch of interaction.

A VERY nice expansion indeed.

So much fairy tale in one place. Lots of stunning graphis. Very satisfying. 10/10.
If the second and last expansion is just a good as this one the complete game will stand as a real masterpiece in video games.

I just finished the main quest.

I absolutely loved the jinn O'Dimm. I suspected he was a jinn right from the start (if for nothing else then the name). But that doesn't matter. Jinns are interesting and exiting in their legends and story. Creatures still a mystery today. O'Dimm was created exactly as I imagined a jinn.

Shanis' romance? It was ok. Sweet and kind of innocent. But uninteresting due to the choice of Geralt's lifemate in the main story. Good thing she ended the romance and moved along. I liked the romance with Keira Metz better somehow. But I guess it's a matter of taste in women.

I chosed to kill both Borsodi brothers and to save Olgird in any way. I somehow had a feeling Olgierd was not that bad guy he looked like to begin with, despite the way CDPR introduced him. And I was right.

Last edited:
the new version of shani looks very good, i liked the interactions and romance with her, but didn't like ow it ended, i think it's sad, she could just stay, and do things with geralt, but that's just me, i find endings sad mostly

Unhit

Forum regular
I very much agree with @sevean's posts here. Just finished playing HoS, I loved it. Everything with Shani was so touching, and I'm very sad it's over (both the "relationship" and the expansion). I was totally (and kind of still am) #TeamTriss, but HoS really shook my foundations there :D

That being said - I find the ending highly convincing and believable. There were hints of Shani going for the "breakup" before, e.g. during the wedding. In a way, it also mirrors what happened between W1 and W2 if you had chosen Shani back then. Nonetheless, I did find it incredibly sad, and I do wish there would have been some way to convince Shani. I did not want it to end like this, and reading the posts here, many feel the same. Isn't that an amazing testimony to how great this game is, that it lets us feel these emotions?
Maybe if you hadn't romanced either Triss or Yen before, you could end up with Shani. Maybe it will be possible in a hypothetical Enhanced Edition? I'd surely hope for it.

Anyway, the ending of the Shanimance as it is is very very sad. But, to repeat: Given how everything developed, I thought it was highly credible, and definitely not bad writing. Still, hopes for more Shani content are up! ;)

Last edited:
OMG I finished HoS again... And now I know I love her. :wub: I can't forget her. :ermm:I can't sleep anymore! :( I need her more than the sun! :crybaby: CDPR please! Give me Shani back! ;););)

Top Bottom