Shieldwall Hotfix Waiting Room.

+
lol @judgecsk Even more conspiracy
At this point the biggest conspiracy is that the devs know what they're doing lol

It's obvious at this stage that they keep adding broken features to keep the game in the conversation....that OR they have no idea what they're doing and I'm not sure which is worse :coolstory:

lol @judgecsk Even more conspiracy

"...and the plot thickens" ! :think:

At this point the biggest conspiracy is that the devs know what they're doing lol

It's obvious at this stage that they keep adding broken features to keep the game in the conversation....that OR they have no idea what they're doing and I'm not sure which is worse :coolstory:

- I don't think they don't know what they're doing, it's the way they go about it though imo.
The changes are not bad if you consider that they already told us that they wanna focus on archetypes again
and make it harder for ya to rope multiple cards onto the board.

- The thing is that if you wanna implement such big changes you either rebalance the whole game, taking time to look and think about how each factions bronzes interact with the faction, the leader abilities and enemy factions and procced to update em accordingly.
For example the Ice Giand is kindah obsolete and i'm not the only one that thinks that.
Such kind of full on change takes a lot of man power and time, time = money so.... hmmm... you get my point i think. :rolleyes:
I just hope they come up with some serious solutions soon cause the way it is atm feels like you have to focus on specific decks if you want to have any semblance of reliability. (nothing changed there) :giveup:

Hmm looks like it's going to be the fourth month i'm gonna skip ranked entirely.

In all honesty, i like the idea of shield archetype. An archetype should be dependent on bronze core, hence shieldwall should be reworked such that the leader ability only gives shields to bronze units.

Last edited:
Hmm looks like it's going to be the fourth month i'm gonna skip ranked entirely.

In all honesty, i like the idea of shield archetype. An archetype should be dependent on bronze core, hence shieldwall should be reworked such that the leader ability only gives shields to bronze units.

Try playing some SY congregate, they got a pretty nice boost recently with the "Sacred Flame" Artifact.
It's good fun and competitive enough !

Cheers :beer:

Slowly starting to play ranked again. Do you think this deck has a chance against ShieldWall?
Would love to hear some advice.

I had to venture back into gwent to test out the new leaders, and I've been wondering one thing since then; why do the devs half ass the overtuning of leaders? A part of me want to believe that they are gathering data or experimenting, but I don't know. Factoring in that they can just adjust these "errors" with a hotfix 2-4 weeks later, why couldn't eg. the MO white frost leader have a third charge and a passive additional 1 point damage to frost, and similarily one extra charge to imprisonment? If the devs thought that the power level of shieldwall was fine, then most of the nerfs they did this patch were unnecessary. The one positive thing that I can see from the shield leader is seeing people play with the tesham mutna sword artifact, which is both cool and about time.

I had to venture back into gwent to test out the new leaders, and I've been wondering one thing since then; why do the devs half ass the overtuning of leaders? A part of me want to believe that they are gathering data or experimenting, but I don't know. Factoring in that they can just adjust these "errors" with a hotfix 2-4 weeks later, why couldn't eg. the MO white frost leader have a third charge and a passive additional 1 point damage to frost, and similarily one extra charge to imprisonment? If the devs thought that the power level of shieldwall was fine, then most of the nerfs they did this patch were unnecessary. The one positive thing that I can see from the shield leader is seeing people play with the tesham mutna sword artifact, which is both cool and about time.

- A third charge should be enough to make the leader competitive enough imo.
Adding one more dmg to the ability might make it kindah op tbh cause in most cases you will be able to get rid of almost any low-mid bronze unit in one turn (engines n such) if you carry any kind of dmg-removal cards in your deck.

- Double lock would be even more insane than the WF example you gave.

- I don't disagree with you that the LA (Leader Abilities) need more fine tuning especially the new ones.
Imo the devs need to play the game a lot of hours so they get a true feel about the changes and not have some playtesters do it for em. (this is just an assumption of mine)

Last edited:
- A third charge should be enough to make the leader competitive enough imo.
Adding one more dmg to the ability might make it kindah op tbh cause in most cases you will be able to get rid of almost any low-mid bronze unit in one turn (engines n such) if you carry any kind of dmg-removal cards in your deck.

- Double lock would be even more insane than the WF example you gave.

- I don't disagree with you that the LA (Leader Abilities) need more fine tuning especially the new ones.
Imo the devs need to play the game a lot of hours so they get a true feel about the changes and not have some playtesters do it for em. (this is just an assumption of mine)

I like the idea of the extra damage on frost, but I would not add a third charge to it. Also, the extra damage should require dominance. I think Rain should also be changed to damage entire row by 1 instead of random units by 1. It becomes lite lacerate and has a max value of 9 for the SK leader.

What we need are leader abilities specially designed for archetype support. Like play X warfare card (X being preset not choice and not spawned by leader not drawn from deck.) Same with Raid, Disloyal special, crime, etc...

Lastly, though slightly off topic, I think the devs should drop 7 new cards per month instead of a 3rd expansion per year. 1 for each faction and 1 for neutral. Tie them to the new leader abilities and to future leaders you plan to release next year. 7 cards a month is reasonable in terms of testing and art. Keeps the meta a little more interesting month to month and makes new leaders a bit more appealing if they have good synergy.

I was hoping for an uprising nerf, instead they removed my prefered ability against uprising, wich was viscious slash, and added an even more broken ability in shieldwall. Thanx a lot. Please release Cyberpunk so that i got something to do until the next patch.

I like the idea of the extra damage on frost, but I would not add a third charge to it. Also, the extra damage should require dominance. I think Rain should also be changed to damage entire row by 1 instead of random units by 1. It becomes lite lacerate and has a max value of 9 for the SK leader.

What we need are leader abilities specially designed for archetype support. Like play X warfare card (X being preset not choice and not spawned by leader not drawn from deck.) Same with Raid, Disloyal special, crime, etc...

Lastly, though slightly off topic, I think the devs should drop 7 new cards per month instead of a 3rd expansion per year. 1 for each faction and 1 for neutral. Tie them to the new leader abilities and to future leaders you plan to release next year. 7 cards a month is reasonable in terms of testing and art. Keeps the meta a little more interesting month to month and makes new leaders a bit more appealing if they have good synergy.

- I presume that you like the idea because you were the one who proposed it in the first place:coolstory: but, you completely disregarded the point I made.
"move to the other row + dmg by 3 for two turns" .
That change will obliterate your enemy's engines-starting units, that's not balanced.
Theres a reason that the
"on dominance, frost dmg is increased to 3" effect is tied to a gold card, cause it's widely considered to be of "high value".
Also having it be on a card it gives the enemy a chance to remove Eredin thus avoid taking so much dmg so fast.

- The second thing you mentioned was that you need your leaders to play an ability that benefits each archetype in a faction (one for each archetype), that's what they're trying to do but it's easier said than done obviously.

- As for the add "7 cards per month"...lol.

This one is almost satirically funny. :p
I honestly highly doubt that it's feasible by the team they have right now and I'm only referring to the test-balance side of things.
If they could do that you wouldn't have had cards like the initial version of the Ethereal or the almost if not completely broken addition of a boost 2+shield to a faction that thrives if boosted+gains zeal+ duels you to death with minimum to no cost at all.

Ofc it's a great ability to have as an NR player but, it's not balanced if you compare the lack of synergy and/or power that other archetypes-factions have atm.

Last edited:
- I presume that you like the idea because you were the one who proposed it in the first place:coolstory: but, you completely disregarded the point I made.
"move to the other row + dmg by 3 for two turns" .
That change will obliterate your enemy's engines-starting units, that's not balanced.
Theres a reason that the
"on dominance, frost dmg is increased to 3" effect is tied to a gold card, cause it's widely considered to be of "high value".
Also having it be on a card it gives the enemy a chance to remove Eredin thus avoid taking so much dmg so fast.

- The second thing you mentioned was that you need your leaders to play an ability that benefits each archetype in a faction (one for each archetype), that's what they're trying to do but it's easier said than done obviously.

- As for the add "7 cards per month"...lol.

This one is almost satirically funny. :p
I honestly highly doubt that it's feasible by the team they have right now and I'm only referring to the test-balance side of things.
If they could do that you wouldn't have had cards like the initial version of the Ethereal or the almost if not completely broken addition of a boost 2+shield to a faction that thrives if boosted+gains zeal+ duels you to death with minimum to no cost at all.

Ofc it's a great ability to have as an NR player but, it's not balanced if you compare the lack of synergy and/or power that other archetypes-factions have atm.

Dominance being a requirement provides plenty of counters. 7 cards a month is less than 2 cards a week. Also, the cards you mentioned were not accidents or mistakes. CDPR loves breaking the game with OP cards and fixing the small examples instead of a large scale overhaul. Shieldwall is the perfect example. It distracts from how messed up the balance is overall.

Dominance being a requirement provides plenty of counters. 7 cards a month is less than 2 cards a week. Also, the cards you mentioned were not accidents or mistakes. CDPR loves breaking the game with OP cards and fixing the small examples instead of a large scale overhaul. Shieldwall is the perfect example. It distracts from how messed up the balance is overall.

- Have you played a good WF deck recently..?
50% of the round the field can be full of snow (having Ard Gaeth and the crew included, no red riders).
MOs have a good number of tall units to get dominance. I think you underestimate the value-power of the WF, one more charge would be fair imo, not the extra dmg though.

- I "main" MOs and with the deck i have atm, if you'd give me that extra 1 dmg as a passive, i guarntee you i would steam roll a lot of factions-archetypes, 2:0 matches (yes it makes that huge of a difference) .
I wouldn't mind such a boon tbh, i love MOs but i don't think it would be fair, fair against NR's Shield Wall...? sure, no doubt... ^^
...not against a lot of others though.

- If you think that CDPR is that lazy what makes you think that they will change their "bad habbits" now..?:think:
Anyways, i kindah agree with ya... there needs to be an overall overhaul and not lazy add-removals of abilities people like to play. They said that they don't have a team full time on balancing, so i highly doubt that your proposal will be taken seriously, i wish it would .

Cheers :beer:

Last edited:
Here's my idea for a potential fix.

Attachments

• Shield_Wall (3).png
    Shield_Wall (3).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
The worst part for me is how it's yet another NR boost leader. Could you imagine if MO had five different bleed oriented leaders? Maybe a bad comparison but if you look at NRs leaders you realize the only one that doesn't boost is Stockpile.
This doesn't encourage varied deckbuilding at all as proven by the fact people basically copypasted their Uprising lists with Shieldwall.

Spawn him to the left and voila (so we can get instant crew effect on Kerrack Frigate). :] But I still don't think this is enough for how strong the duel + shield combo is. :[
I tried to sneak something for that into the flavor text. Duel mechanic needs a tweak if they're adamant about this leader being a thing.

Last edited:
The worst part for me is how it's yet another NR boost leader. Could you imagine if MO had five different bleed oriented leaders? Maybe a bad comparison but if you look at NRs leaders you realize the only one that doesn't boost is Stockpile.
This doesn't encourage varied deckbuilding at all as proven by the fact people basically copypasted their Uprising lists with Shieldwall.

Forgive me for drifting slightly off topic, but I think you have just observed and summarized a problem with current leaders in general, and not just NR leaders — the lack of variety between different leaders in a faction.

Every SY leader provides coins / reduces costs as a significant component of its ability. 4 of 7 ST leaders generate another card and 5 involve boosting unit’s strength in some fashion. In Skellige, 4 of 7 leaders primarily damage opposing units. Of the remaining 3 SK leaders, one (Ursine ritual) has no value outside a very narrow archetype, and another (Battle Trance) has—as far as I can tell— almost no use at all. NG is a little better, but even there, 5 of 7 abilities either steal or lock abilities of your opponent. Only in MO is there good variety in leaders — and there the cards are often not effective enough to support most of the leaders.

Top Bottom