Shooting yourself in the foot with an RPG

+
Shooting yourself in the foot with an RPG

The loyal members of this community are a real, valuable, monetisable asset for CD Project Red. We act as ambassadors and salesmen for the game all over the Web; we provide new content in the form of modules; we support users here; and we build fansites and other resources for players of the game. One of the biggest such resources - one into which a number of people have put a huge amount of dedicated, unpaid work - The Witcher Wiki. Not only have we written a great deal of content, we've worked hard to make that content look good, to make the site look smart and also easy to find information in.Whatever the merits of the new 'skin' - however it relates to CD Projekt's corporate colours - the fact is that it has inevitably broken a huge amount of that careful work, so that pages which were crafted to look elegant and work well are now more or less unreadable. And, frankly, it all looks a mess.But changing the skin and making the site look a mess is not the problem. The problem is changing the skin without consulting. If you had said to the people who put most work into the Wiki, "Hey, guys, we want to change the colour scheme, here are our ideas, what do you think?", you'd probably have had a bit of discussion, you'd have ended up getting most of what you wanted, and you'd have kept the people who voluntarily spent their time supporting your product on side, supporting you, providing more content, and SELLING MORE COPIES OF THE GAME.Instead, you've made a number of people very unhappy indeed; it's going to be hard to win them back, they're going to drift away to other projects and you'll have lost a key part of your best sales team. And this is so needless! It doesn't take much to keep the community on board. We don't need money. We don't even need mousemats and medallions (although they're nice). All we need is for our contribution to be recognised and appreciated, to have our work not changed out of recognition without consultation.And, finally, if you're going to wantonly upset members of your community, don't attack the ones who are well liked and respected by other people. Because doing that creates widespread unhappiness and disaffection, so that, instead of getting support and praise all over the net, you risk getting grumbling.

SimonBrooke said:
Not only have we written a great deal of content, we've worked hard to make that content look good, to make the site look smart and also easy to find information in.
I totally agree with that. You did great job.
SimonBrooke said:
Whatever the merits of the new 'skin' - however it relates to CD Projekt's corporate colours - the fact is that it has inevitably broken a huge amount of that careful work, so that pages which were crafted to look elegant and work well are now more or less unreadable. And, frankly, it all looks a mess.
Sorry, but where? There was some adjusting needed (table backgrounds) but i have edited it to look good. If i omitted something let me know. I will also do a search this week to make sure everything looks fine.
SimonBrooke said:
But changing the skin and making the site look a mess is not the problem. The problem is changing the skin without consulting.
I consulted Ausir on that, The authors were gfx spec from CDPR and also wikia people said it is good. I know it is polite to consult most active people and i tried to contact game widow this day (wikia guys applied the skin much faster than expected) but she was offline this day. it is simply the normal way that wiki adjusts a bit to the latest release or key product from the brand family. The goal was to make wiki a bit more in style of the game itself so we could only change the logo in the future, and not edit the content area.
SimonBrooke said:
Instead, you've made a number of people very unhappy indeed; [...] And, finally, if you're going to wantonly upset members of your community, don't attack the ones who are well liked and respected by other people
Well, if I made someone unhappy with the recent changes, I can only apologize but i am only human and i cannot make everyone as happy as i would want to. My job is the connection between life and work, friendship and duties.

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Personally I like the skin that is there.The only thing I am a bit surprised is why other languages (Cesky, Lietuvu, Polski etc.) don't have this skin ???

The skin: font, colors are good enough, but I think the layout could be better. I find this layout more readable http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion.

Vattghern said:
Personally I like the skin that is there.The only thing I am a bit surprised is why other languages (Cesky, Lietuvu, Polski etc.) don't have this skin ???
We will implement this to other wikis too but we are working on the custom logos.
Vattghern said:
The skin: font, colors are good enough, but I think the layout could be better. I find this layout more readable http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion.
I haven't changed the layout. Personally i think it is good :)

Eriash said:
I haven't changed the layout. Personally i think it is good :)
Exactly, everybody has different opinion and maybe the majority likes the layout. I wouldn't call it a mess, but I think it could be better :beer:

Whisperwind said:
I'm ok with that skin too, though white text could be changed to some darker tone of grey, cuz now my eyes really start seeing green text in darkness of my room after looking into smth as bright as that. Although I understand that people like to know about changes before :)
I agree and my intention wasn't to do a unwanted "surprise" here. I tried to contact game widow, i did contact Ausir. I wanted to make an discussion about it but wikia people implemented the stuff much faster than i expected. One way or another if someone experiences any difficulties please let me know.And i will also make tests with darker font. Good point Whisperwind, thank you.

The new wiki skin? Black. The first time I saw it I just thought... woooow this looks great. It perfectly creates the dark atmopshere of the game. But the black color and the (tiny) white characters are very inappropriate for an encyclopedia, especially when you read long articles it gets exhausting and your eyes hurt >..< at least that's what I feel. Normally you don't look at an encyclopedia but study it and obtrusive colors / layout rather scare poeple off. A wiki / encyclopedia shouldn't compete with a (glossy) website where poeple look around and indulge oneself in entertainment.In short: I like the black skin but for a wiki it's disadvantageous and the engl. wiki has lots of long and valuable articles.

From one point you are right but for many people, especially casual one the skin is very important, creating atmosphere, postive feedback. Most of people are rather checking the very slim part of material, not many people study the wiki as you do (you are a positive freak :) ). The impression they will get is very important to us. Many companies like blizzard (wow wiki or diablo wiki) bioware (mass effect wiki) 2k games (bioshock wiki) or funcom (Age of Conan wiki) decided to do similar things.

I think the dark gray from the forum would be appropriate too, the contrast is softer. Either way, dark with light text is a lot easier on the eyes for reading. After so many hours of Word and database (white with black text) I can't even see straight anymore to read anything else online.

What about leaving that panel on the left in black, as it is and the part where articles are remake into green such as in game? Like we have in quests or bestiary? It could look great, especially if the dividing lines were such as this reddish loading bar and the articles titles have that black thing, that is in menu when we drag the mouse over one of options, under text.How do You think?

I don't mind how the wiki looks, I always set any wiki i browse to Monobook, which is plain and fastest to load :D

Kill-joy :p ;D@EriashYour cited sites look... interesting. None of them have a pitch-black skin though a dark skin which harmonize with the other colors. I think the suggestion of Vatt makes sense if we use skins / colors from the game to have a kind of recognition factor. You can keep all in dark colors and the sinister and affliction atmosphere is there.

PetraSilie said:
Kill-joy :p ;D@EriashYour cited sites look... interesting. None of them have a pitch-black skin though a dark skin which harmonize with the other colors. I think the suggestion of Vatt makes sense if we use skins / colors from the game to have a kind of recognition factor. You can keep all in dark colors and the sinister and affliction atmosphere is there.
In our skin we used dark cause it's very in style of thewitcher.com page. Which was blacky since 2003. But still we can adjust it a bit. WIki is form you by you and i will be happy to think over better idea... cuase there is always better idea :)

Well, the other community where I spend my time has always been black with green highlights and white text. I've been an Atomican for 8 years, so I'm well used to black backgrounds and was ecstatic to see the wiki go to a more dramatic, high contrast look :) But the wiki and community ain't about keeping me happy, it's just a fortunate fluke that it's turned out well for me :beer:It's unfortunate the changes were made in such a dramatic way. Sometimes, despite the best laid plans and all the love in the world, sometimes things just don't work out like you planned or hope. I know here at work, we've been doing a lot of office moves. Here in IT we had all the equipment and phone stuff planned, double planned, re-planned and tightly scheduled. Yet when it came time to execute, somehow some poor bugger's name had slipped off the list so he hadn't been informed. So we went ahead with the equipment and phone move, and his secretaries moved all his personal belongings, such that his old office was completely empty and his new office was kitted out. But because he hadn't been told when he was going to move (thanks HR!), he got back from lunch and headed off to his old office to find it completely empty. It sounds like a fantastic office prank ;) but it was simply the result of a miscommunication. Despite all the planning, something still slipped through the cracks.It happens to the best of us, unfortunately. I'm in no way minimising what anybody might be feeling right now because it can be such a shock when you feel the rug pulled out from under you feet, and it's a shame the new look has been tainted by an unfortunate set of circumstances. Hopefully things run more smoothly next time :beer:Well, to end my ramblings with a positive note, I love the new look wiki :) *sniffle* It feels like home *dabs eyes*
Eriash said:
In our skin we used dark cause it's very in style of thewitcher.com page. Which was blacky since 2003. But still we can adjust it a bit. WIki is form you by you and i will be happy to think over better idea... cuase there is always better idea :)
Remember: pink is never a better idea....I'm just sayin' :)edit: Someone come play with me on the second page? It's kind of lonely here, by myself!

I can only add: As the colourblind person that I am, I like the distinction between background and most written words.Even though only the Links are highlighted white, the other written words (blackish?) are readable for me on the grayish background.I find it easier to read than some other things I've seen :beer:

The new revamped design and color of the Witcher wiki looks great, you should customise it with all other witcher wikis 8)[edit]I just noticed in the English wiki, there is no "save" button anymore when I edit an article. I remember some days ago there was a global announcement refering to new features for creating, editing, etc. wiki articles. I see these new features. I can edit and preview but no "submit" or "save" though the browser adress says
http:* //witcher.wikia.com/index.php?title=The_Last_Wish_(short_story)&action=submit
there is no function to submit :whatthe:

gamewidow said:
the save button issue has been fixed :) :peace:
Yeah, it works. And I though there was something wrong with ability to see

Top Bottom