Shop Design - How do you want to spend your MONAY?

+
Shop Design - How do you want to spend your MONAY?

I haven't really found anything similar to this so let's start a new discussion.

Shops. They are essential, every RPG needs them. Question is, how do you want to shop? Actual malls like GTA has them? Or street dealer style, very much alike the different vendors (doctors, for example) in Assassins Creed? Should they then be passive, or should they actually come up to you "Yo dude wanna buy some first class rifles? All finest quality, I promise." (I admit that this could become an annoying thing very quick, just like the beggars in AC)

Should there be differences between legal vendors/ shops and those dealers? Should there be receivers (Because, admit it, you will steal a LOT of stuff) Maybe secret merchants in some gutter or back alley you won't find on your first playthrough, but has unusual fine offers?

And, most of all, how should the shops look? A legal store should look different then some illegal dealer around the corner. The metro games had some cool looking shop system, but other games do the job good as well. I personally think it shouldn't be like in Witcher 2 (That shop system was efficient, yes, but boring and sometimes confusing).

Discuss.

If it's legit, then I expect most trade to be done from a vending machine or terminal, a bit like Argos. (Don't know what the American or European equivelant would be.)
I think they should be situated in various places. There are some Mall's in 2020, though a lot smaller streetside stores are also around.

If it's grey or black market, then I expect to have to find a Fixer of some sort. Again, they should be dotted around the place.

I also hope that we actually have to 'find' rarer gear, emulating the 'availability' rules from 2020.

The main question I would have asked is what form should money take. Eurodollars, (EB for short,) was available all over 2020, across the world in fact. But it was found in both digital and hard forms. However, actual hard currency is rare and isn't accepted by everyone. It also needs to be registered if it is kept in amount of over 10,000eb and not doing so is a felony. The digital form is carried either in bank cards or credit sticks (which carry up to certain amounts and can be found in both registered and unregisterd formats.) These credit sticks have varied levels of protection based on the amount of EB they can carry.

Shops should be dependent on the areas they serve.

Shops in the corporate or moderate zones shouldn't sell illegal weapons, cyber or goods, but should sell higher quality items.

There most definitely should be shops and malls, only an idiot buys a weapon from a vending machine, because who the hell wants their life to depend on a polymer one-shot. I would like to avoid the old "chain store" for weapons. though in the corp and moderate zones that might not be feasible. This is where you get the nicer clothes and gear as well, the best armor, for enough money get a an armored business suit, or metal gear. Vehicle customization shops in the moderate zone should just offer standard tuneups, body work, and paint schemes.... while in the corp zone you can get professional armoring done, maybe some bond car type gadgets. Food in the moderate zone should be chain fast food selling things like scop nuggets, kibble burgers, lots of noodle shops, and other artificial foods. In the corp zone the food should be ridiculously expensive, fine dining, real meats and produce, etc...

In the combat zone I would like to see used and black market items. This should be where you get your fully auto SMG's, assault rifles, miniguns, and heavy weapons. Clothes here should be second hand goods. Gear and other tech should be lower tier, though occasionally you might come across that super high-tech cybermodem or like new armor and what not that fell off the back of a truck. Vehicle customization here should consist of crazy gang type decals, makeshift armor like in the nomad market. Food should be basically street animal on a stick, maybe noodles.

Out in the nomad area, I would prefer to see weapons with a heavily used and abused with look. Assault rifles held together with duct tape, revolvers, rusty melee weapons. Clothes should be leathers, dirty old canvas or cotton, denim. Gear should be low tech, armors makepeice, made from football pads, repurposed tires or street signs, etc... Vehicle customizations are makepiece armor, engine tuning, all the paint jobs give the cars a rusted and dirty look, add things like cow catchers, ram bars, barbed wire trim, Spotlights and winches, big blowers, or remove exterior body paneling... a nomad ride should never look brand new. Food stalls should sell a mix of scop, and actual real meat and produce, as nomads make up the migrant work for that tends these things.

Oh... and cash is always going to be viable, because that's how criminals operate. It may be frowned on the the corp and moderate zones, but in the combat zone and nomad areas, if you don;t have cash, you ain't getting shit. Credit transactions are too easy to monitor and trace. Though the ability to trade in the nomad and combat zones would be cool as well.

Legal stuff Malls, and other stores like we have today. Illegal items from the Black Market should be bought out of the back of some guys car, and the Black Market goods won't be offered unless you have a high enough rep so they know your not a narc like no rep for some illicet drugs, like a 3 or 4 for smaller weapons like maybe an SMG at most, then get like a rep of 6 or 7 for heavier weapons like Assualt Rifles, Grenades and such. Maybe even need like a 9 or 10 for LAW's and such. Now if your are working with a regular fixer that starts to know you you can get more then your rep would suggest you could. Of course no matter what your rep you will not get a discount, I mean a Fixer has to eat right. and the base currancy should be the Euro as everyone knows the US greenbacks ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

Shops in the corporate or moderate zones shouldn't sell illegal weapons, cyber or goods, but should sell higher quality items.

Suit's need guns too. I just think we should be able to find 'questionable' weaponry in the corporate area', (which we know is utterly corrupt,) and anyone selling them should charge through the nose. You'll be paying WAY over the odd's, but as you said, the stuff will be reliable.

Wisdom000;27419Oh... and cash is always going to be viable said:
The reason I brought cash up was because of the Data Krash. I think it's effects on the banks would have far surpassed the wallstreet crash of the 20's. I would imagine a lot of Corporates threw themselves out of windows by the end of 2022. Any digitally stored capital would have been redundant. All you would have had left would be physical capital.

I see physical cash making a big comeback post Corp War 4. But then, how long until cash becomes digital again?

Legal stuff Malls, and other stores like we have today. Illegal items from the Black Market should be bought out of the back of some guys car, and the Black Market goods won't be offered unless you have a high enough rep so they know your not a narc like no rep for some illicet drugs, like a 3 or 4 for smaller weapons like maybe an SMG at most, then get like a rep of 6 or 7 for heavier weapons like Assualt Rifles, Grenades and such. Maybe even need like a 9 or 10 for LAW's and such. Now if your are working with a regular fixer that starts to know you you can get more then your rep would suggest you could. Of course no matter what your rep you will not get a discount, I mean a Fixer has to eat right. and the base currancy should be the Euro as everyone knows the US greenbacks ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

Well, except cops don't enter the combat or nomad zones, so they can have full shops selling whatever you want to buy... and they don't care about your rep as long as your cash is good.

Suit's need guns too. I just think we should be able to find 'questionable' weaponry in the corporate area', (which we know is utterly corrupt,) and anyone selling them should charge through the nose. You'll be paying WAY over the odd's, but as you said, the stuff will be reliable.

Sure, and a suit can buy a gun in the corp zone legally, it will be registered to him... But the problem with selling illegal weapons in the corp zone is that those weapons can be traced back to the buyer... if johnny the Suit goes on a suynthcoke binge and starts shooting up the plaza with the brand new Militech Ronin you just sold him, you can be the cops are going to come knocking down your door.... It's not worth the risk.

Let some back alley or Zone fixer take the risk.

Sure, and a suit can buy a gun in the corp zone legally, it will be registered to him... But the problem with selling illegal weapons in the corp zone is that those weapons can be traced back to the buyer... if johnny the Suit goes on a suynthcoke binge and starts shooting up the plaza with the brand new Militech Ronin you just sold him, you can be the cops are going to come knocking down your door.... It's not worth the risk.

Let some back alley or Zone fixer take the risk.

Why would a Corporate or 'up-market' ficer only be able to sell registered fireams in the Corp zones? What's topping them getting better quality black market? And no idiot worth their salt is going to leave any sort of trail back to themselves or their suppliers. As for new stuff getting traced, what happens if a batch of weapons that was written off as 'faulty' just had all their serial numbers removed, (or never even had them,) and were 'stolen'. If the paperwork checks out, no-ones the wiser. That's how Military grade gear gets onto the 2020 streets after all. Everyone buys guns from someone higher up the ladder one way or another.

Why would a Corporate or 'up-market' ficer only be able to sell registered fireams in the Corp zones? What's topping them getting better quality black market? And no idiot worth their salt is going to leave any sort of trail back to themselves or their suppliers. As for new stuff getting traced, what happens if a batch of weapons that was written off as 'faulty' just had all their serial numbers removed, (or never even had them,) and were 'stolen'. If the paperwork checks out, no-ones the wiser. That's how Military grade gear gets onto the 2020 streets after all. Everyone buys guns from someone higher up the ladder one way or another.

What I am saying is, they wouldn;t sell these things in the Corporate Zone. It's watched too closely. They would kick this shit down to their fronts in the Combat zone, or to some guy selling out of the back of his truck somewhere. A corporate has so much more to lose if someone informs on him or if he gets caught, and doesn;t really have that much to gain. By the tiem he is in a position to sell these guns without risk, he is making more money just doing his full time job.

It's better for them to let someone else take all the risks. Same with Gun Stores in the Corp Zone. You don't shit where you eat.

Besides, if a corp needs an assault rifle, his company will just issue him one.... though he would never need it in the first palce, thats what his security detail is for. In fact, no corp worth his suit would pick up such a plebian thing... it;s beneath him. Instead he is going to go for the platinum finish Malorian 3516 with engraved pearl grips... just so he can whip it out in front of the hookers he has hired to snort his synthcoke off of... because it makes him feel manly.

Or the smart corp will at most have a small, easily concealed and accessed pistol, like a derringer up his sleeve, or a PPK in his desk drawer. Because they know a big gun ruins the cut of their suit, and that's just gauche.

A corporate doesn't get in a fight, he doesn't get his hands dirty, he pays other people to do that for him.

shops are great in games.Memories of shopping at "On the rag clothing" and "Sloppy seconds" in the Saints row games were great fun. I hope there are some cool clothing stores in 77 where players have a HUGE selection of cloths to buy.

Gun shops, cyberwear parts, tattoo shops, clothing stores and maybe even furniture stores to deck out your cribs..all of which would be fun fun fun.

shops are great in games.Memories of shopping at "On the rag clothing" and "Sloppy seconds" in the Saints row games were great fun. I hope there are some cool clothing stores in 77 where players have a HUGE selection of cloths to buy.

Gun shops, cyberwear parts, tattoo shops, clothing stores and maybe even furniture stores to deck out your cribs..all of which would be fun fun fun.

Keep agreeing with me and maybe I will forgive you for the assumption that it should always be night time in Night City...

What I am saying is, they wouldn;t sell these things in the Corporate Zone. It's watched too closely. They would kick this shit down to their fronts in the Combat zone, or to some guy selling out of the back of his truck somewhere. A corporate has so much more to lose if someone informs on him or if he gets caught, and doesn;t really have that much to gain. By the tiem he is in a position to sell these guns without risk, he is making more money just doing his full time job.

It's better for them to let someone else take all the risks. Same with Gun Stores in the Corp Zone. You don't shit where you eat.

Besides, if a corp needs an assault rifle, his company will just issue him one.... though he would never need it in the first palce, thats what his security detail is for. In fact, no corp worth his suit would pick up such a plebian thing... it;s beneath him. Instead he is going to go for the platinum finish Malorian 3516 with engraved pearl grips... just so he can whip it out in front of the hookers he has hired to snort his synthcoke off of... because it makes him feel manly.

Or the smart corp will at most have a small, easily concealed and accessed pistol, like a derringer up his sleeve, or a PPK in his desk drawer. Because they know a big gun ruins the cut of their suit, and that's just gauche.

A corporate doesn't get in a fight, he doesn't get his hands dirty, he pays other people to do that for him.

You're thinking small though. I am talking about this kind of Arm's dealer:

Now these guys would be found in the Corp Zone, under a front company. They would pay off whoever they have to and they would provide services to the corporations as well as the government. Now I am damn sure that someone lower down that ladder will have a sideline going in teh corp zone.

Well, except cops don't enter the combat or nomad zones, so they can have full shops selling whatever you want to buy... and they don't care about your rep as long as your cash is good.

SO wrong.

"See you on the road, skag! See you like we saw your friend, The Nightrider!"

God, this game should have MP...

I, for the most part, like the scheme that Wisdom has proposed. There are a few details that I could nit pick or modify, but Chris is doing a fine job of that for me.

What I really want to add is L.E.O. shopping. I don't know if we will be able to leave the Night City area in the game, but I would want to. I want to be able to go to a Lagrange station, where it is always night,..or day, the distinction is kinda lost up there. Anyway I want a way to be able to buy orbital goods, Euro-cyber and fashion and the like.

I did.... and the only way that your idea works is if the Arms Dealer in charge is particularly masochistic, and wants to get caught. Like I said, you don;t shit where you eat.

Which is why that arm's dealer isn't the one selling small time. It would be one of his assosiates trying to make a little on the side.

As for the most reliable weapons coming from the corp zone but all being registered, screw that. I want a way to obtain quality weaponry anonimously. Failing that, I want to be able to upgrade a weapons reliablity myself in the customisation process. I didn't even pick up weapons with less than ST reliability in 2020 games and I only used those when I absolutley had to. It's all about the VR baby.

Top Bottom