Shortest main story in rpg game ?

+
1609438630782.png

I'm at 196.2hrs on my 2nd playthru. First one took 130hrs. But I'm a completionist - wanna finish every quest, side quest, and objective. Could it be that exploration and pacing is a good technique to enjoy the game more?

I argue that having a 'level minimum' for some of the story missions would be an easy fix. Witcher3 did this and it worked well. -w

Fallout 1 is around 17 hours, however if you have played a few times so you know how the game ends you can skip most the entire story and with a lot of luck complete the game in a couple hours. Speedrunners can of course do it in like 10 mintues. But all the Fallout games main stories are actually fairly short coming in between 20 - 30 hours. Fallout New Vegas being the longest at about 40 hours. The TES games are all rather short as well at around 30 hours.. Longest being Morrowind at again about 40 hours.

How Long To Beat is the site to look at for game hours although it's player reported hours so it varies from edition to edition. Like OG Skyrim averages at 33 hours but Skyrim Special Edition averages at 25 hours even though there's nothing cut out or changed to make special edition shorter.

Last edited:
I honestly wish that the game was as long as the Witcher 3 with all DLC included. For as long as it took for them to make this game and the number of times the release date changed, I think that it could have been possible

I love the game but Holy Christ why is the main story so dang short? I think it's shortest rpg game ever right ? I've never played an RPG story so short before. Yea there are a lot of side missions but the main story is what keeps you interested and boy was it disappointing in length. Just bizzare and ridiculously too short.

Come on CDPR after 8 years you give a 17 hour main story ? Who were these imbeciles that asked for a shorter game? I think it's half the length of witcher 3. Hate those people that said "I like a short game if the story is good". Well if the story is good why would you want it shorter? It's an RPG game not a movie.

It's such a rich and detailed world they should've made the story much longer without a doubt. But great game nonetheless. Was very sad but mostly shocked when it ended. Witcher 3 dlc main story was longer than this entire games main story.

This sounds like you didn't do any of the side content, which would make most RPGs unplayable or short as hell.
Post automatically merged:

I honestly wish that the game was as long as the Witcher 3 with all DLC included. For as long as it took for them to make this game and the number of times the release date changed, I think that it could have been possible

To put to rest an internet rumor, they stopped making Cyberpunk 2077 to make the Witcher 3 and Blood and Wine. So its only been in development 4 years.

I mean I guess that makes sense and all. I just would have preferred they take longer to make the main story longer. I feel as though that a huge chunk of time playing a game should come from the main story and not from its side content is all

Yea i agree, the main story is way to short for a game of this magnitude, granted there are other things to do in night city but main story still way to short, i hope they can flesh out the game at least 20-30 hours more with mission dlc or flesh out the badlands, i love that area and the nomads.

I don't understand why they did not do something like: if you do story branch A (relatively early on) it locks you out of story branch B - and that locks you out of a certain ending and that becomes apparent to a player as they progress on how the world reacts. I know it's a cheep trick when formulated on paper to make anything a "deep rpg" with C&C but hey it works. In the end it is also a much more effective way to create dynamic tension in a players mind than saying oh by the way you're gonna die soon because of this event that just occurred.

Don't know what people do for 130hrs in this game, I finished mine in 72hrs and that includes every single side gig and all blue markers, there was literally nothing to do on the map except buy some more cars... I was not even trying to speed run, casual play.

Problem with this game unlike Skyrim, that had a lot of side quests that are complete stories on its own, is that side gigs in CP are all the same and short, go to a point and either kill/steal/upload/download.

Also, hard to role play when you cannot affect the way the world sees you in the game. You are always some street kid merc with some flavor dialogue options from other life paths here and there.

Cannot compare to Witcher 3, loved that game, did 100% on it, why having long story is a bad thing I do not understand, you do not have to complete it on one sitting like "Return of the King"...

I love the game but Holy Christ why is the main story so dang short? I think it's shortest rpg game ever right ? I've never played an RPG story so short before. Yea there are a lot of side missions but the main story is what keeps you interested and boy was it disappointing in length. Just bizzare and ridiculously too short.

Come on CDPR after 8 years you give a 17 hour main story ? Who were these imbeciles that asked for a shorter game? I think it's half the length of witcher 3. Hate those people that said "I like a short game if the story is good". Well if the story is good why would you want it shorter? It's an RPG game not a movie.

It's such a rich and detailed world they should've made the story much longer without a doubt. But great game nonetheless. Was very sad but mostly shocked when it ended. Witcher 3 dlc main story was longer than this entire games main story.
This game is barely an rpg. This is more like Borderlands and The Cyberpunk genre had a baby. A looter shooter with a good story.

I think you missed an important element of the Story !

V wasn´t supposed to survive " The Heist" ( Even if the Gig went straight, Dex probaly would have killed V, TBug and Jackie in order to cut " all loose ends " leading to him ). But the Relic Tech revives V´s body in order to rebuild it for Johnny Silverhand. From that very moment onwards V´s live has a date of expiry, while the Nanomachines of the Relic start to reconstruct V´s neural network and altering his genetic structure to fit Johnnys Biosignature. Like it is said in the Game, the Relic 2.0 was never supposed to be used on a living Human beeing.
So you see there is no Room for 120 hours of Mainstory. Otherwise you would loose the feeling of beeing short of time.

V wasn´t supposed to survive " The Heist" ( Even if the Gig went straight, Dex probaly would have killed V, TBug and Jackie in order to cut " all loose ends " leading to him ). But the Relic Tech revives V´s body in order to rebuild it for Johnny Silverhand. From that very moment onwards V´s live has a date of expiry, while the Nanomachines of the Relic start to reconstruct V´s neural network and altering his genetic structure to fit Johnnys Biosignature. Like it is said in the Game, the Relic 2.0 was never supposed to be used on a living Human beeing.
So you see there is no Room for 120 hours of Mainstory. Otherwise you would loose the feeling of beeing short of time.

From the story perspective yeah you aint wrong at all. I just we got a lot of the cut content we were promised.

Makes you wonder where they spent their time. I finished the main quest before completing the side quests and they're taking so long I can barely remember the main quest storyline. They should have artificial blockers to the main story line progression so you have to reach certain levels or certain points of the side missions but it seems you can batter thorugh the main quest line in one night. The side mission should interweave with the main storyline, that would lengthen it and stop people sprinting through it so easily.

V wasn´t supposed to survive " The Heist" ( Even if the Gig went straight, Dex probaly would have killed V, TBug and Jackie in order to cut " all loose ends " leading to him ). But the Relic Tech revives V´s body in order to rebuild it for Johnny Silverhand. From that very moment onwards V´s live has a date of expiry, while the Nanomachines of the Relic start to reconstruct V´s neural network and altering his genetic structure to fit Johnnys Biosignature. Like it is said in the Game, the Relic 2.0 was never supposed to be used on a living Human being.

Possibly. However, that would imply that a good part of the game would need to be accomplished before "The Heist" and if you recall most of the map is locked-down until AFTER "The Heist". I'm not able to follow the logic here.

If you are saying that V's story should end, but Jonny's story should begin, it kinda does that no? -w

While the main story IS short, I felt there should've been more stories to explore...like a TON more. I wanted to know more about the fixers, personally. Like, what's the deal with Mr. Hands? I know there's a story there! Also, I keep expecting (with false hope) to find something in the trunks of cars ( a body, an item, etc) that will lead to a bigger story.

Furthermore, I want to EXPERIENCE these stories, not read about them through shards.

CP2077 is short no matter how you play it. Too short.

Please check the attatched images. CDPR co founder even said something about it before the game was released...

When I play an open world adventure or an RPG, if I like the world I want to experience it all and learn in game about all of it's lore.

I want, for this kind of game, the main story to be a long massive journey (50h+ at the very least) and I want the hard to achieve end to reward me with a fulfilling satisfying long and triumphant closing scene tying up all ends. All that and I want to have a bare minimum 100h+ of well writen long side quest chains.

Main story of CP2077 is a good side quest example, but very far from main story material for this caliber of a game.

People whom love RPGs want more, much more.

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_170253_651.jpg
    IMG_20210102_170253_651.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20210102_170257_400.jpg
    IMG_20210102_170257_400.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210102_170258_945.jpg
    IMG_20210102_170258_945.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
who asked for shorter story ? i think its just another lie from CDPR because of cut content... ive never seen a company who would made a shorter story if they can do longer story...

Top Bottom