Should Bethesda Softworks license REDengine 3 from CD Projket RED?

+
Should Bethesda Softworks license REDengine 3 from CD Projket RED?

So should Bethesda Softworks most notably Bethesda Game Studios license REDengine 3 for The Elder Scrolls VI maybe? The GameBryo Engine is good and the moddability that The Elder Scrolls video games have is good but that video game engine is ancient. Hopefully REDengine 3 becomes as moddable as the Nettlemerse Engine, GameBryo Engine, Creation Engine. Maybe even more moddable that that.

I do hope in 2016 CD Projekt RED gets into contact with Bethesda Softworks when they start licensing REDengine 3.

If Bethesda Game Studios does not license REDengine 3 and The Elder Scrolls VI ends up looking worse than The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt or Dragon Age: Inquisition and keep on removing skills and features that previous The Elder Scrolls video games have I believe Bethesda Game Studios will lose to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and be way behind CD Projekt RED even possibly behind BioWare.

Oh well we have to wait until 2018 or 2019 for The Elder Scrolls VI to see what it will look and play like.

Thats like Infinity Ward/Treyarch using Frostbite 3.
They would support their direct competetor with that.

There are engines like UE or Cryengine which can get licensed by other companies though.

I havent seen anything about the engine yet, but if its similar to the current engine, I dont think it would fit with an Berhesda Game. They will make their own engine which suits with their type of game.

Since id said that idTech5 would only be used for internal projects (internal as in Zenimax), it's possible that Bethesda could use it. After all with the megatextures and all they can render large worlds in quite high detail.

But who knows, Bethesda may opt in for their own engine, though I hope this time they make it prettier. :)

Most likely not, they are capable of building one of their own. But I am sure if CDPR license it, there will be developers who would use it.

Ballowers100 said:
So should Bethesda Softworks most notably Bethesda Game Studios license REDengine 3 for The Elder Scrolls VI maybe? The GameBryo Engine is good and the moddability that The Elder Scrolls video games have is good but that video game engine is ancient. Hopefully REDengine 3 becomes as moddable as the Nettlemerse Engine, GameBryo Engine, Creation Engine. Maybe even more moddable that that.

I do hope in 2016 CD Projekt RED gets into contact with Bethesda Softworks when they start licensing REDengine 3.

Thats sounds really strange.
Bethesda are maybe lazy but they have more than enough resources to build their own engine without helping competitors.

Alextyc1 said:
Thats sounds really strange.
Bethesda are maybe lazy but they have more than enough resources to build their own engine without helping competitors.
I don't know I am getting scared The Elder Scrolls VI might look like crap and have lots of features removed.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim sucks so bad I mean I can't play it for more than 30 minutes to 1 hour per day and I have been Playing The Elder Scrolls video games since 2002 when The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind released. Especially on PC the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim looks sad without graphics mods that add 2K textures, 4K textures, and lighting mods.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings looks better than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Ballowers100 said:
I don't know I am getting scared The Elder Scrolls VI might look like crap and have lots of features removed.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim sucks so bad I mean I can't play it for more than 30 minutes to 1 hour per day and I have been Playing The Elder Scrolls video games since 2002 when The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind released. Especially on PC the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim looks sad without graphics mods that add 2K textures, 4K textures, and lighting mods.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings looks better than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

You are right,but the fact is that bethesda doesnt really care what engine to use,skyrim sold 20 million+ copies with that crap engine,TES is just too big for people to care about the engine

Ballowers100 said:

Yes, totally agree with you. Without mods, Skyrim looks mediocre, it's really bland.

That's why I think they might use idTech5 in their next game, there's no way they'll licence something from outside like UnrealEngine or CryEngine. But only time will tell.

Alextyc1 said:
You are right,but the fact is that bethesda doesnt really care what engine to use,skyrim selled 20+ copies with that crap engine,TES is just to big for people to care about the engine
Well Bethesda Game Studios probably won't be selling 20+ million copies of The Elder Scrolls VI because I am certainly not gonna purchase it until I see what it will be like and watch YouTube videos and I know quite a lot of old Bethesda Game Studios fans on the Bethesda Softworks forums who will not as well especially if Steam, Steam Works is a requirement. There's a few people on there who got fed up with Bethesda Softworks and their Steam, Steam Works requirement and not developing their video games for PC first.

TES sells because of the modding. There isn't a big modding community for the REDEngine. I can't think of any reason why it would be a sensible direction for Bethesda to take. If they want to maximise their potential, they would probably be better off just updating their existing tools.

red engine 1-2, proved to be really heavy. I dont think Bethesda should ever use a "that" heavy engine for their games.

Bethesda is a "light" engine type of company, with lots of flaws and bugs and fully modable by the user... so they keep performance up and lots of interest by the user to be bothered with.

They dont hunt the graphical perfection (dirt under the fingernails), they give us an open world to do whatever we want with it. They give us "creationism"

I am sure, bethesda will update their engine, for GPU instructions (instead of cpu) some new fx. Thats all.

if you watch a fully moded skyrim, it surpasses the most graphical intense games... So its like " do it urself"

I voted 'Yes' and 'I don't care' at the same time!

Seriously, as long as I don't have to play another game using the hideous Gamebryo engine, I'm happy, I guess.

Aver

Forum veteran
dragonbird said:
TES sells because of the modding.

I wouldn't say that. They sold more copies on consoles than on PC, so I would say that there is different main reason why TES sells.

Ugh, another graphics thread.
dragonbird said:
TES sells because of the modding. There isn't a big modding community for the REDEngine. I can't think of any reason why it would be a sensible direction for Bethesda to take. If they want to maximise their potential, they would probably be better off just updating their existing tools.
And bingo, this gentleman gets it. Not everything is about the shiny pixels my dear little tulips.

That's if the development isn't started before 2016.

They need an engine oriented towards RPG, I don't think Cry or Id are primarily meant for that (mainly why CD Projekt made their own).

But Bethesda would probably be better making a new version of their engine or using IDtech's engines, there is no need to go out and get another one.

Top Bottom