Should CD PROJEKT RED make a MMORPG?

+

Should CD PROJEKT RED make a mmorpg?

• Yes

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 100 78.1%

• Total voters
the real question is : why should they ? Just cose you can make rpg, doesnt mean you can make MMORPG . That's another beast all together . Just look at BW, failing in doing it (Or open worlds) and coming up with half assed product .

Often when a compagny go into making MMORPG, its like diving in a polluted water . Sure, you gonna get sick from contact ! But...you will gather gold from said river.....its worth it, isnt it ?

MMORPG mean they enter the polluted pool . Gone the story telling and hello cash shop . Gone the goodwill and hello microtransaction and Gambling loot box lol

If you like cdprojekt...don't ask them to become the next EA .

Im long time like 20 year gamer of MMORPG and no, simply no. Its dead genre, nearly all MMORPG companies are finished. I think game industry should wait for 10 year and try to spark it up again, tons of small indie companies are still alive, wait for those to die and try again.

Last edited:
Sure, why not?

I do have a question though. Where is the relation between making RPG's and MMO's? I ask because, in my opinion, MMO's aren't RPG's. Even in most cases where they're referred to as MMORPG's they're not RPG's. Most MMORPG's basically consist of loot treadmills and group challenges. People play them to acquire more better shiny toys and work together as a team to overcome the latest available obstacle. Very few people, if any, play them to "role play" a character. There are exceptions but, for the most part, this has been the truth of the matter.

Why do I bring it up? Well, a single-player RPG, even if it has some multiplayer capabilities, and a MMO are very different concepts. I don't see how a developer being good at designing one would translate to the other. It would be like expecting your typical FPS developer to be good at designing a RTS. They might be able to do so. They might not. There is no reason to anticipate success or failure in one game type based on another.

Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

There's a world (or two) of difference between single and multi-player games. Many things that are non-issues in a single player game are major issues in and MMO (database structure, data transfer). Many seem to think all that's needed is to add some network code to your single player game and wallah it's an MMO! Ask Bethesda how well that's working out for them with Fallout 76.

Im long time like 20 year gamer of MMORPG and no, simply no. Its dead genre, nearly all MMORPG companies are finished. I think game industry should wait for 10 year and try to spark it up again, tons of small indie companies are still alive, wait for those to die and try again.
What about WoW, "THE" MMORPG which has resurfaced in Classic mode bringing at least a million players back if not more. Not gonna say that CDPR should make an MMO, however most of the time MMOs die is poor marketing mechanics and storylines. CDPR definitely has quite a good edge i'd say for both to maybe meet ends at making a wonderful MMO. Food for thought.

They are not capable
Look at Gwent and you will realize how they will mess up combat balance in MMORPG

What about WoW, "THE" MMORPG which has resurfaced in Classic mode bringing at least a million players back if not more. Not gonna say that CDPR should make an MMO, however most of the time MMOs die is poor marketing mechanics and storylines. CDPR definitely has quite a good edge i'd say for both to maybe meet ends at making a wonderful MMO. Food for thought.

Well, wow is wow. But most companies are dead.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I like MMORPG's. Not a lot of them left or being made anymore.

Bioware had 0 experience with anything online, unlike CDPR, and yet managed to make a pretty good one. One of the best imo. That would be SW: The Old Republic for people that don't know.

I like MMORPG's. Not a lot of them left or being made anymore.

Bioware had 0 experience with anything online, unlike CDPR, and yet managed to made a pretty good one. One of the best imo. That would be SW: The Old Republic for people that don't know.

CDPR is no EA. SWTOR's success is heavily based on EA. As far I know SWTOR is only MMORPG on Origin.

Best thing is to avoid MMORPG, if CDPR start to see SWTOR/GW2/ESO increasing in population then its time to strike, if theres life outside of WoW, then those 3 should work nicely for players, which I doubt.

Raunbjorn

Classic says hello.

HELL NO!

Because there is multiple 12 to 13 and 6 to 8 year old's that RUIN EVERYTHING!
They are the same people that CHEAT!

Let's tone it down, please. I couldn't agree more. But that's still dangerously close to pointing fingers and getting personal.

I'd say that the ultimate solution to this is allowing private instances / servers. I avoid most MMOs for the same reason. Almost impossible to invest in the experience, as every time I get into it, I'll be one-shot from behind for no reason by some half-naked barbarian with a rapid fire crossbow and pink, fairy wings, bunny-hopping around, followed by a pet mushroom spraying lightning.

I get it. Totally.

But mostly, I'm not sure that a Witcher MMO would be a good platform to further the universe in any meaningful way. Or, building bigger narratives into an MMO may limit the audience, as it would probably play out a lot more slowly than most MMOs in terms of the amount of interactivity. Then again...Star Wars: The Old Republic might be a good analog for the type of structure that could work well. It's worth at least brainstorming about.

F**k no. The last thing we need is for this beaming light of a gaming company to start chasing trends and live services.

F**k no. The last thing we need is for this beaming light of a gaming company to start chasing trends and live services.

Well, that was more or less exactly how we got CDPR to begin with.

TW1 -- Oh...great...another isometric RPG offering "revolutionary" gameplay in a "dark, mature" setting. Right...okay... (Oh, shoot. This is -- really good!)

TW2 -- Wonderful...another game that's going for a "cinematic" experience that will "revolutionize" the experience. Yup...fine... (Holy frig! How did they pull this off?)

TW3 -- Really...?...another open-world game offering a "revolutionary" gameplay experience and "unprecedented" story. Geeze...they have finally overstepped... (Oh, my god! This is awesome!)

CDPR has always taken existing tropes and re-imagined them in unexpected and engrossing ways. MMOs are not an inherently bad concept. They are simply handled according to accepted mechanics and structures because, when it boils down to it, most developers won't take the risk to change things up. (Too "revolutionary". ;))

Top Bottom