Should CD PROJEKT RED make a MMORPG?

+

Should CD PROJEKT RED make a mmorpg?

• Yes

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 100 78.1%

• Total voters
How about TV-series? They did Witcher TV-series already. Its much easier to make money with Movies than MMORPGs, even Need for Speed Movie turned out to be profitable. MMORPG means you take hit to your rep and lose tons of money. With right actor movie will bring money for sure.

I think somekind of Cyberpunk meets Miami Vice would work, as for movie. Maybe throw a bit of Fast an Furious into it.

the Witcher TV show is nothing to do with CDP, and i doubt they have any film rights to CP, it wouldn't make any sense for them to pay for rights in a field that have no stake in.

the Witcher TV show is nothing to do with CDP, and i doubt they have any film rights to CP, it wouldn't make any sense for them to pay for rights in a field that have no stake in.

Oh its so. That sucks. Games + Movies could have been nice twist in game industry. Definitely much better path than MMORPGs, or do some F2P survival or battle royal game. Movies are kinda sign of ambition.

Last edited:
General reminders from your local, mod squad:

1.) Discussion is MMO, not film industry or other outlets for CDPR to take their work.

1570449898070.png

2.) No one's opinion is superior to others. No one's opinion is "fact". Not for any situation. On any topic. Ever. (Inspects one end of eternity. Quickly jogs all the way to the other end, just to double-check.) Ever.

And what about LAN coop play ? Like sharing the adventure with your dearest friends, in your mancave.
Bonuses for communication within the missions, and ofc intercourse scenes with your friends' characters (ingame) (cough).

That's actually my preferred method of multiplayer. I played Halo 1-3 with a friend of mine and we had a blast. Also played a little of the Neverwinter Nights 1 campaign with a fellow teacher that was just geek enough to get into it. Never finished the main quest (too time-consuming), but we got through the first few chapters and had a blast. I still manage to get a game or two of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic in here and there. Teaming up with two or three other players to take on a mess of AI, strategizing on how best to build complimentary armies, etc. is really engrossing.

If, perhaps, CDPR could come up with a game world that was a slew of "chapters" or something...small stories that could be played through in 1-2 sittings...that might be interesting. They could structure it similar to the mechanics of the Divinity: Original Sin games. Not insofar as gameplay, but mechanics that allowed players characters to engage in debates and disagreements. Sort of like a series of standalone "short stories" that had lots of branches with multiple resolutions.

Well, that was more or less exactly how we got CDPR to begin with.

TW1 -- Oh...great...another isometric RPG offering "revolutionary" gameplay in a "dark, mature" setting. Right...okay... (Oh, shoot. This is -- really good!)

TW2 -- Wonderful...another game that's going for a "cinematic" experience that will "revolutionize" the experience. Yup...fine... (Holy frig! How did they pull this off?)

TW3 -- Really...?...another open-world game offering a "revolutionary" gameplay experience and "unprecedented" story. Geeze...they have finally overstepped... (Oh, my god! This is awesome!)

CDPR has always taken existing tropes and re-imagined them in unexpected and engrossing ways. MMOs are not an inherently bad concept. They are simply handled according to accepted mechanics and structures because, when it boils down to it, most developers won't take the risk to change things up. (Too "revolutionary". ;))

It seems more like they took one thing they were good at and had a passion for and did it well over and over lol

Not so sure one trilogy in one genre is representative of chasing trends at all. RPGs have been and will continue to be a core part of gaming. To say an RPG was a trend at any point in gamings history is a bit wild to me because video game RPGs have been a big thing since the 80s and will continue to be a big thing. MMOs get hype and die out and disappoint constantly. Always fluctuating in reach it seems. MMOs just seem like the gateway drug to consumerism in gaming. Just look at what bethesda has become lol and activision, and Bungie. Even Bioware with that sad excuse for a game, Anthem. I wouldn't want CDPR to chase an MMO just because it might be a good idea. I mean obviously they're their own company and I have nothing to do with anything they do or pursue, but if they do, I just hope it comes with a lot of passion and inspiration and great ideas like they have been with their other titles up to that point. Aka, not doing it because they should, or is a good idea, but doing it because they have a great freaking idea and have something that would be really really great that they could really contribute to passionately and creatively and just sort of happens because a good idea fit really well.

F**k no. The last thing we need is for this beaming light of a gaming company to start chasing trends and live services.

Activision was once a beaming light, so did Ea.
CDPR could totaly release a MMO be successful at it and make money, bringing lots of people, then tunning the maturity down cause it needs to be consensual to appeal to the masses.
Look at the last Joker movie, it's pretty realistic and in your face, people went out of movie theater, calling it ultraviolent...
When honnestly, all I saw was basicaly a romanced everyday life, with precariousness, drug addiction and modern desperation... I see those kind of shit everyday when I take my ride to work.

All of this to say, everything is possible, even CDPR could change over time, not that it's bad, but it happens so often it's possible.
Blizzard was once a very good studio, look at the difference between Diablo 2 and 3 and you'll see what I mean.

It seems more like they took one thing they were good at and had a passion for and did it well over and over lol

That would be the sheer definition of expertise and professionalism.

Not so sure one trilogy in one genre is representative of chasing trends at all. RPGs have been and will continue to be a core part of gaming. To say an RPG was a trend at any point in gamings history is a bit wild to me because video game RPGs have been a big thing since the 80s and will continue to be a big thing. MMOs get hype and die out and disappoint constantly. Always fluctuating in reach it seems. MMOs just seem like the gateway drug to consumerism in gaming. Just look at what bethesda has become lol and activision, and Bungie. Even Bioware with that sad excuse for a game, Anthem. I wouldn't want CDPR to chase an MMO just because it might be a good idea. I mean obviously they're their own company and I have nothing to do with anything they do or pursue, but if they do, I just hope it comes with a lot of passion and inspiration and great ideas like they have been with their other titles up to that point. Aka, not doing it because they should, or is a good idea, but doing it because they have a great freaking idea and have something that would be really really great that they could really contribute to passionately and creatively and just sort of happens because a good idea fit really well.

I'd argue (in a big way) that CDPR went way, waaay out of their way to avoid chasing any "trend". There's a huge difference between games that attempted to mimic Baldur's Gate, or Diablo, or World of Warcraft...and what TW1-3 accomplished.

TW1 focused on a quasi-real-time / pausable / action-based combat system and exclusive character creation with an extremely narrative approach to a very unique type of cultural fantasy. TW2 was a drastic departure from TW1. The game mechanics, the pacing, the execution, the energy, all of it. And until that point, there was no game of that size and scope except Mass Effect that offered such a cinematic experience. TW3 was a drastic departure from either TW1 or TW2, being a massive, open-world with a ridiculous amount of content that wasn't simply "filler". I have never, in my entire life, played a game where so much side quest content was so thought out, memorable, and directly related to the larger world. (Far cry from running around looking for "hidden stashes" in...well...FarCry.)

This is why I don't think there's any "danger" in CDPR tackling something like an MMO. They don't do "trends". They do "new and exciting". Granted, it still wouldn't be my first choice for a new project, but it's definitely worth considering.

Activision was once a beaming light, so did Ea.
CDPR could totaly release a MMO be successful at it and make money, bringing lots of people, then tunning the maturity down cause it needs to be consensual to appeal to the masses.
Look at the last Joker movie, it's pretty realistic and in your face, people went out of movie theater, calling it ultraviolent...
When honnestly, all I saw was basicaly a romanced everyday life, with precariousness, drug addiction and modern desperation... I see those kind of shit everyday when I take my ride to work.

All of this to say, everything is possible, even CDPR could change over time, not that it's bad, but it happens so often it's possible.
Blizzard was once a very good studio, look at the difference between Diablo 2 and 3 and you'll see what I mean.

I honestly can't tell whether you're agreeing with me or not because all of the examples you gave sort of support my viewpoint of MMOs being a gateway drug to companies becoming a strictly for profit system that doesn't care for solid and memorable gameplay or experiences.
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

I'd argue (in a big way) that CDPR went way, waaay out of their way to avoid chasing any "trend". There's a huge difference between games that attempted to mimic Baldur's Gate, or Diablo, or World of Warcraft...and what TW1-3 accomplished.

TW1 focused on a quasi-real-time / pausable / action-based combat system and exclusive character creation with an extremely narrative approach to a very unique type of cultural fantasy. TW2 was a drastic departure from TW1. The game mechanics, the pacing, the execution, the energy, all of it. And until that point, there was no game of that size and scope except Mass Effect that offered such a cinematic experience. TW3 was a drastic departure from either TW1 or TW2, being a massive, open-world with a ridiculous amount of content that wasn't simply "filler". I have never, in my entire life, played a game where so much side quest content was so thought out, memorable, and directly related to the larger world. (Far cry from running around looking for "hidden stashes" in...well...FarCry.)

This is why I don't think there's any "danger" in CDPR tackling something like an MMO. They don't do "trends". They do "new and exciting". Granted, it still wouldn't be my first choice for a new project, but it's definitely worth considering.

Yes. I never claimed CDPR ever did that lol I was actually saying that they didn't.. and that an MMO from them should only come naturally with a great idea and tons of inspiration. I guarantee you it's in the heads of investors already because their name has become so trusted over the years.

Last edited:
You two guys seem super confident about a TV adaptations of The Witcher and CP77... IDK for you but watching quite a few
If, perhaps, CDPR could come up with a game world that was a slew of "chapters" or something...small stories that could be played through in 1-2 sittings...that might be interesting.

I imagine coop play like standalone missions for 2 to 4 players.

You two guys seem super confident about a TV adaptations of The Witcher and CP77... IDK for you but watching quite a few

I imagine coop play like standalone missions for 2 to 4 players.
The books already got a netflix show...But who needs a damn MMO of any CDPR game? Theyre always endless grind fests and lack decent stories.

Actually it will be very interesting to see CDPR making an MMORPG but no.Their focus was always in Single Player RPG and they are masters there so why change?
Bioware tried to change and failed miserably.And SWTOR is a miserable game.The single player aspect is fantastic but the MMORPG is bad.And we have now?A cash shop infested game that struggles to finds a direction.Release more MMO elements or stay in the single player model and add some minimal interaction between players?Also the failed on understanding what an MMORPG is with some of their ideas like having your companions do all your job.
But MMORPG's are not dead in my eyes.
FFXIV is doing fantastic.ESO is making great content.The fact that Blizzard doesnt know what its doing doesnt mean MMORPG's are dead.Sure.For 1 Good MMORPG 99 are fails like Bless Online.But isnt that the case in every gaming genre?

This is a Hard No, and the reason is simple, making an MMO of any kind requires a lot of maintenance work, you need to maintain the game, maintain the servers, develop new stuff for the game on a permanent crunch state, work bugs almost in real time, making an MMO is a great way of making money with microtransactions and other monetary schemes, but the quality of your work will suffer, your people will get burnout, and the quality of the company will go down. if you work like CDPR does, where every game is like a book, once the book is finished you release it and see the reaction, the fellas at CDPR are great storytellers, and seeing the success of each game, also works as a way of healing for the people that make the game, when you see thousands of players enjoying the game you worked so hard to bring to light, it gives a sense of acomplishment and that helps this fellas recharge their batteries to tackle the next project at full energy.

MMO you rarely see the players enjoying the game because you are constantly working, the work never ever stop, as soon as you finish something you need to start thinking what is the next step, with the normal games you see CDPR make you can take some time, watch some youtube or twitch see how the players are reacting, this allows the people that work at CDPR to continue to enjoy games, I have seen people that work for some MMO games and they after a while end up bitter with the videogames they loved before, I do not think that going into MMO is a good decision for any company.

Actually it will be very interesting to see CDPR making an MMORPG but no.Their focus was always in Single Player RPG and they are masters there so why change?
Bioware tried to change and failed miserably.And SWTOR is a miserable game.The single player aspect is fantastic but the MMORPG is bad.And we have now?A cash shop infested game that struggles to finds a direction.Release more MMO elements or stay in the single player model and add some minimal interaction between players?Also the failed on understanding what an MMORPG is with some of their ideas like having your companions do all your job.
But MMORPG's are not dead in my eyes.
FFXIV is doing fantastic.ESO is making great content.The fact that Blizzard doesnt know what its doing doesnt mean MMORPG's are dead.Sure.For 1 Good MMORPG 99 are fails like Bless Online.But isnt that the case in every gaming genre?
Well, they've already shown willingness towards change being that CP2077 will have a multiplayer component

Well, they've already shown willingness towards change being that CP2077 will have a multiplayer component
Thank you for pointing that out.
This will be a fantastic test on what they can do on that prospective.
With CDPR actively reading and discussing internaly what people say on the forums i think that they already know how to move if that component of Cyberpunk 2077 is succussfull or not and even if it is that maybe it was an idea for cyberpunk and nothing more.
Time will tell.
From my heart i just wish CDPR will not fall in a trap to become a master for all and become a master of none.

The problem I see with MMO's is they are dead. People play them for a couple of months and then they move on. You need to have a ton of time to invest into them to make any real headway and you also need to be somewhat sociable. I played Fallen Earth a while back in 09 and it was hands down the best MMO I have ever played.

Not forgetting you are taking about possible subscription fees and all of the stuff that goes with that. But my biggest point has to be that most people want to play MMO's single player so why bother making quests around a group or making an MMO at all for that matter?

But my biggest point has to be that most people want to play MMO's single player so why bother making quests around a group or making an MMO at all for that matter?
This is for me the main reason i think that MMORPG's are in decline.
People want to play an MMORPG's Alone.That doesnt make any sense at all.

This is for me the main reason i think that MMORPG's are in decline.
People want to play an MMORPG's Alone.That doesnt make any sense at all.

Oh I have a friend who often asks if X or Y mmo game can be played "alone". Even asks if he can spend game time without crossing any other player. It's something I can barely understand, but hey whatever.

I think the MMO players of today like to see players run around and do stuff and sometimes even interact with them because it makes the world feel more alive. What they don't like is having to depend on said players to progress through content like raids and stuff.

Last edited:

Guest 4399916

It would be awesome to play a MMORPG by cdprojektred!!!

no for number of reasons one look at FO76 when they tried to go into mmo area it failed horribly.

two MMORPGS are kinda a thing of past there hasnt been a good one in so long I cant even recall the last one that was truely good. Most of them now just kind of limp along barely with enough fans/supporters to keep lights on

Not trying to be rude when I say this but...

No, Naw, nein, HELL NO!!!,

MMORPG's are notorious for how difficult it is to make one,

Imagine having to balance multiple players potentially breaking the games by doing stuff nobody thinks off, Then factor in the hackers, and I mean actual coordinated hack attacks, Then there's the maintenance costs,

The balance over the many, many items people will earn, Then the amount of coding for Quests, Items, Descriptions, and Animations, Then there's the amount of servers you would need, And you would possibly have to factor in a subscription service, Now compound all these issues across potentially millions of players,

MMORPGS are massive things, And you are a complete idiot (Bethesda with Fallout 76) If you think making one is a cheap and easy thing to do, Even the bigger boys like Blizzard have had their issues with security over the years,

Do yourself a favor and look up the World of Warcraft corrupted blood incident on wikipedia, I'll wait,

The point is MMORPG's are truly massive beasts and you would have to sink so much time, effort, energy and money into making even just the one game and it's expansions,

Not saying it can't be a fun game, Just saying that it can be a lot more work then people give credit to.

Top Bottom