Should CD PROJEKT RED make a mmorpg?

• Yes

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 100 78.1%

• Total voters

Guest 4398794

Sure, why not?

I do have a question though. Where is the relation between making RPG's and MMO's? I ask because, in my opinion, MMO's aren't RPG's. Even in most cases where they're referred to as MMORPG's they're not RPG's. Most MMORPG's basically consist of loot treadmills and group challenges. People play them to acquire more better shiny toys and work together as a team to overcome the latest available obstacle. Very few people, if any, play them to "role play" a character. There are exceptions but, for the most part, this has been the truth of the matter.

Why do I bring it up? Well, a single-player RPG, even if it has some multiplayer capabilities, and a MMO are very different concepts. I don't see how a developer being good at designing one would translate to the other. It would be like expecting your typical FPS developer to be good at designing a RTS. They might be able to do so. They might not. There is no reason to anticipate success or failure in one game type based on another.
I get what you say, but RPG in MMO-RPG is not the classic role playing. Its a game gender now, and still you are in some type of role in those mmos, your a warrior or healer or whatever, those are roles too even tough you don't play it out anymore in the classic way

Guest 4211861

No, I'll just wait for the mobile game they are working on.

MMOs are [not fun] to play, even if some do have very nice graphics.

I do have a question though. Where is the relation between making RPG's and MMO's? I ask because, in my opinion, MMO's aren't RPG's. Even in most cases where they're referred to as MMORPG's they're not RPG's. Most MMORPG's basically consist of loot treadmills and group challenges.

True, but thats because most of them stuck entirely to co-operative PVE and ignored the possibilities of PVP entirely.

And by PVP I mean just player-to-player interaction, it doesn't always have to be just shooting each other. Form dynamic alliances, trade with each other, build stronghold, defend those together against a different group of players... the possibilities are endless. There are some good examples, Conan exiles springs to mind.

In those "loot treadmill" MMOs, the co-operative dungeon raids or what you wanna call them, are some of the LEAST social activity I have been part of. You don't generally even need to say anything since everything around them is usually a routine. You are expected to look a youtube video about how the dungeon is going to be run and just get kicked if you cant perform up to the standard. Kind of like how sex can happen without any positive emotion involved.

To the topic question, I say no. It is not CDPR forte, and it is not a type of game that they should tackle.

Guest 3842833

NO! We have enugh of those and they go nowhere. CD Projekt Red are the kings of single Player games, lets keep it that way.

I think a Witcher MMORPG has a lot of potential to be really bad and only a slim chance to be good. They are really good at making single player games, wouldn't want a Fallout 76 situation on our hands...

1) Who cares about MMORPG these days?
2) Making online games in this age really stupid idea. Most of the players play only 1 online game at the same time and considering all big multiplayer games that hold players, it will be extremely hard to establish huge player base.
3) Again really who the hell cares about MMORPG, this genre is dying.

1) Who cares about MMORPG these days?
2) Making online games in this age really stupid idea. Most of the players play only 1 online game at the same time and considering all big multiplayer games that hold players, it will be extremely hard to establish huge player base.
3) Again really who the hell cares about MMORPG, this genre is dying.
I said basically same thing while back I have to disagree with one thing though MMORPGs arnt going to die out completely. they just are not popular at this point in time and there so many of them already out there still clinging to life that wont really be profitable to make a new one. and fact that MMORPGS can basically only fit into one of two categories just by the nature of what they are Either be a WoW clone or A FO76 dumpster fire repeat

No, definitely not. MMORPGs these days devolve into loot hunts and bounty grinds.

CDPR is poised to overtake Bioware as the new king of story driven RPG's for mature players and i'd like to see it stay that way.

Why not?! I know mmorpg games are cool. My friends recommended different games to me, and a few months ago I started playing. By chance I found a site with free mmorpgs, and I chose a few in which I play so far, especially the game Seventh Element. Very beautiful graphics, a lot of interesting and fascinating quests, it is full of functions that you can remember immediately, and not misleading, I recommend.

Last edited:
I'd love to see it, but without being able to create a Witcher, it would be simply overpowered in most situations. :)

I dont think that a MMORPG is the best option. So different and distant from what is already excellent (CD games)

I would love an adaptation of Ranger's Apprentice books, same way they've done with The Witcher.

Also, the world and engines are not soooo different (of course its a new game, but is also medieval, castles, monsters and humans combat), so a lot of the game could be adapted from the Witcher 3, and if the first one is a sucess, the next ones could improve even more the mechanics and engines.

the age of MMORPG's are gone sadly, but they could make some type of fps multiplayer (seems to be the trend these days) but that kinda goes against CDPR in general as they are revolutionary in making their games , so if CDPR made and FPS multiplayer game it would without a doubt be good because of the amount of effort they put into their games

I don't think they can, CDPR is good at story, I also like Witcher 3's swordplay, so gameplay too, but I hate how they designed the character leveling, and item economy which are ones of the building blocks of mmorpgs. Look at how they put abundant loots and make Geralt rich just by looting alone, ignoring those treasure hunt they also put on the maps LOL.

Guest 4406876

Let's tone it down, please. I couldn't agree more. But that's still dangerously close to pointing fingers and getting personal.

I'd say that the ultimate solution to this is allowing private instances / servers. I avoid most MMOs for the same reason. Almost impossible to invest in the experience, as every time I get into it, I'll be one-shot from behind for no reason by some half-naked barbarian with a rapid fire crossbow and pink, fairy wings, bunny-hopping around, followed by a pet mushroom spraying lightning.

I get it. Totally.

But mostly, I'm not sure that a Witcher MMO would be a good platform to further the universe in any meaningful way. Or, building bigger narratives into an MMO may limit the audience, as it would probably play out a lot more slowly than most MMOs in terms of the amount of interactivity. Then again...Star Wars: The Old Republic might be a good analog for the type of structure that could work well. It's worth at least brainstorming about.

SW:TOR has one of the best feature for an MMO ever that makes it close in spirit to an RPG. Dialogues where your party mates can actually participate in and stories. The rest is meh (technically is a mess and poorly executed) but the story is present and feels like a single player game which is good.
Still an RPG is something else and I never saw one that is close lately, not even from CDPR. MMOs are usually the cheap idea of RPG that people have nowadays, turned into games, featuring only the little part of inventory , stats , loot and character creation (often very limited) as what defines RPG. SW:TOR is probably the only MMO that tried to push it a "little" closer to the original feeling of an RPG.

PS: (Almost impossible to invest in the experience, as every time I get into it, I'll be one-shot from behind for no reason by some half-naked barbarian with a rapid fire crossbow and pink, fairy wings, bunny-hopping around, followed by a pet mushroom spraying lightning) Are you talking about BDO? XD

They shouldn't. Not only will it drive fans like me away who don't like online games, but it'll probably cost them some talented developers too. Just look at what happened with Bioware while making Anthem.

Top Bottom