Should Gwent Tracker be patched to everyone?

+

Should Gwent Tracker be patched to everyone?

• Total voters
arubino99;n9726061 said:
You reasoning is flawed. They don't ban it because they can't. It's an important distinction.

There's no technical method to banning Gwent Tracker. It's a 3rd party utility that doesn't interact with the memory of Gwent. They could ask the maker to take it down, and he'd probably comply. But someone else would simply make another that didn't comply.

You seem to have misunderstood my statement. I never said anything about the devs banning a 3rd party utility/application. I said the devs "don't ban players who use it," which they should obviously be able to do if they wanted to. Also, they can simply announce that they are officially against the software and its features for any number of reasons. But do they?

There are cards that come out quickly that aren't tracked in the regular UI. I guess I am finally going to have to switch to console players only. MM time is already over 30 seconds fairly often, and I get paired with people far above my level, but I guess I have to give it a try until they even the playing field for us.

So, there must be a tracker that can tell what cards your opponent has in the hand :D I bet somebody uses those too. :)

I think it's very simple: really good players will do the same w/o a tracker, and average players will do slightly worse.

So banning trackers will not change the top of the leaderboards, but will make the game harder for your average Joe. Since we all (both CDPR and the community) want the game to grow, it looks like not banning trackers is a good idea.

Besides, trackers won't show you any info the game client doesn't already know, so I doubt you can call it cheating.

Jigzter;n9727321 said:
You seem to have misunderstood my statement. I never said anything about the devs banning a 3rd party utility/application. I said the devs "don't ban players who use it," which they should obviously be able to do if they wanted to. Also, they can simply announce that they are officially against the software and its features for any number of reasons. But do they?
You misunderstood my statement.
They can't ban it. They can't detect it. Therefore, they can't ban players that use it. Announcements mean absolutely jack squat if there's zero enforcement, which is impossible to do.

There is no way to stop it, other than taking a heavy handed approach against the maker - but that would only inevitably see a rise of another maker that wouldn't cooperate or be entirely underground.

The only solution is to embrace what Gwent Tracker provides and provide it to everyone equally.

A useful thing with Gwent Tracker? Being able to see into graveyards without the opponent knowing you're looking. When you view a graveyard inside Gwent natively, the cursor hovers over the graveyard. If you're playing say... Monsters and viewing the opponent's graveyard, you're just screaming "I HAVE CARETAKER IN MY HAND".

It's little advantages like that summing into a much larger advantage. People that use Gwent Tracker have the upper hand, and there's no denying it.

Esmer;n9728061 said:
I think it's very simple: really good players will do the same w/o a tracker, and average players will do slightly worse.

So banning trackers will not change the top of the leaderboards, but will make the game harder for your average Joe. Since we all (both CDPR and the community) want the game to grow, it looks like not banning trackers is a good idea.

Besides, trackers won't show you any info the game client doesn't already know, so I doubt you can call it cheating.
Part of it is the information itself, and part of it is the speed at which the information is gathered. Really good players will not do the same without tracker, because outside of people with eidetic memory, it's not possible. Just wait until a tracker starts showing real statistics, like the % chance of drawing X card. Sometimes games are won and lost by thinning and % chance of drawing a clutch card.

There's a reason why they don't allow computers at the world series of poker. Sure, you can't see other people's cards, but you can calculate odds. And in fact, if you watch on TV, it shows those odds to the audience. Very few people can calculate those odds in their head.

Last edited:
Esmer;n9728061 said:
Do you have a representative statistics with tracker and without? If not then your thinking has nothing to do with reality. Amount of people who can remember all the cards played, all the base values of cards, quickly subtract the difference between powers, and at the same time think strategy fast is very low. Trackers significantly improve decision making because you don't have to waste your time browsing graveyards and memorizing everything.

Esmer;n9728061 said:
So banning trackers will not change the top of the leaderboards
You base that statement on what data?

Esmer;n9728061 said:
If you're really into getting on top, you can program a tracker that will be suggesting the most high scoring playing options, or even the tracker that shows the cards of your opponent (but that's more tricky). But those trackers would not be shared with everybody, obviously.

arubino99;n9728161 said:
There is no way to stop it
I suggest they can add encryption on to all communication with a server, encryption of data in memory, and encryption of the temporary files. You know, like it is in properly developed banking applications.

Maerd;n9728381 said:
I suggest they can add encryption on to all communication with a server, encryption of data in memory, and encryption of the temporary files. You know, like it is in properly developed banking applications.
Gwent Tracker doesn't utilize the Gwent memory. That's why they can't detect who is using it and who isn't, and why can't ban anyone even if they wanted to.

Encrypt all you want, it won't make a bit of difference.

Maerd;n9728191 said:
Do you have a representative statistics with tracker and without?

I doubt anybody has the statistics, that's why I wrote "I think".

To gather relevant statistics one needs to get a focus group and let them play the same deck with and without a tracker against a another focus group playing with and without a tracker. And preferably do it many times in the same conditions.

Anyway, the game itself could benefit from a built-in deck tracker and a better organized graveyard. They could start with showing cards in the same order for both players (so when an opponent is browsing a graveyard you don't see him jumping from the first to the last card, because in his view these two cards are next to each other). And they could show a list of banished units (either in graveyard or in a separate tab). I am not even talking about a better card play history since now only one card is shown, not the cards it pulls, destroys, or affects otherwise.

If by advantage you mean the advantage of not having to use pen and paper then yes. The data that trackers provide are all available to you throughout the game (partially with an exception of base strength). Everything else the tracker records you can record yourself with pen and paper like the tournament pros do.

I honestly believe CDPR should just program something into the game that isn't as expansive or detailed as gwent tracker/up but somewhere in the middle. Like something easy and honestly helpful is a basic tool that shows how many points your up or down by and the ability to hover over a card and see its base power.

Gość

It's a cheat. You are basically making it easy on yourself by not having to check the graveyards. It requires much less thinking, you have much more time to reconsider your movements while enemy player has to do this all in very short time limit (how is that fair? It isn't).

If we are still going for the competitive and fair factor they absolutely MUST address this. It isn't 'for viewers' how some YT folkwill be saying, you can just add a picture od your deck in description so whitewash somebody else anyone with this terrible argument.

I don't like mods in general, but see the reason for them. Sometimes it makes the game better, more enjoyable to play. If a game needs a mod to make it good, then the game itself isn't good enough and indicates that the devs missed something that people would like in the game. Of course not everyone will care about having a certain mod, but the feature wouldn't be a detriment if it came standard with the game. Skyrim comes to mind. That game is horrible without mods, and eventually it was release with the HD texture mod as an official release.

I've not gotten around to using it but looking into it, a number of the UI additions eg displaying base stats, the differences between score totals, being able to easily hover over cards in graveyard, exile etc should be part of the main UI IMHO

Top Bottom