Should have been about Geralt not Ciri. (spoilers)

+
I also found it very hard to care about Ciri for most of the game. Once we got to knew her a bit more, she becomes a likeable character but hardly someone THAT important for most players. People new to the series, or those who only the played previous games, don't have any reason to care about her. Hell, I read the books and still wish the game was more about Geralt.

And I agree that silly interactions determining the game's ending is just ridiculous. The main plot was something that The Witcher 2 did great. First you had to follow Roche otherwise he would probably have your head cut. But eventually you can choose: do I help this guy, or do I go with Iorveth? And then, do I help Iorverth/Roche or do I go after Triss? And still, do we try to save Temeria, or trust that Radovid (who was a respectful character back then) will help us? etc, etc... And the endings actually depend on choices you made voluntarily. There are nasty consequences to each decision, but all of them were reasonable.

I think that's the syndrome of open world games, the main plot usually isn't that great and lack details. The open world is very fun and detailed, but... I played and really enjoyed the previous witcher games without it. And while The witcher 2 had lots of issues, the main story definitely wasn't one of them.

Still, open world or not, I at least expected that The Witcher 3 would bring closure for everything in Geralt's life during the game, and not by just watching some slides. I liked the slides, but there should've been something before them too. In the epilogue we should have the chance to talk with more of the main characters, talk about the future, what they will do...

The game is great, or else we wouldn't care about it that much. The game feels like it lacks an ending, which explains this "emptiness" so many people on reddit and the forums complain.

At the end of the story of the last wish, Geralt calls Yennefer Yen and she is taken back by it. She has lived how many years and no one cared enough for her to come up w/ nick name for her. She is a very guarded person w/ good reason. Hopefully that gives some insight to her attitude.

That mage who had an affair with Yennefer in the short stories called her by Yenna....

You are right. Witcher 3 should have been a linear game. Witcher 2's formula was perfect and i detest Ciri, don't know the reason but in one of my playthrough i deliberately killed her. Witcher 3 is a great game but main story (Ciri) is one of its flaws.

You are right. Witcher 3 should have been a linear game. Witcher 2's formula was perfect and i detest Ciri, don't know the reason but in one of my playthrough i deliberately killed her. Witcher 3 is a great game but main story (Ciri) is one of its flaws.

Ciri, is by the way, my favorite character in all of video games.

No, it should have been about Ciri, given the story backdrop.
Geralt is NOT the hero, the chosen or whatever trope you have in mind.
Geralt is just a witcher, faulty, ultimately impotent and powerless before events.
That does not mean he cannot play his (relatively small) part in his world.

yeah, right, and that's the reason he's not mentioned in the ending anymore?

Pretty much it is left out to heavily imply that he does not leave the hut in the swamps, the other ending have their Geralt and Ciri charts, they did not forget anything. It shows that you saw the last moments of Geralt story.

No, it should have been about Ciri, given the story backdrop.
Geralt is NOT the hero, the chosen or whatever trope you have in mind.
Geralt is just a witcher, faulty, ultimately impotent and powerless before events.
That does not mean he cannot play his (relatively small) part in his world.

Eh, it's not about Ciri either.

She's the Chosen One who chooses not to be Chosen.

They're BOTH the protagonist of the Witcher series according to Sapkowski.

Eh, it's not about Ciri either.

She's the Chosen One who chooses not to be Chosen.

They're BOTH the protagonist of the Witcher series according to Sapkowski.
I never said she is. I merely said Geralt is not your run of the mill RPG chosen one. The world does not revolve around him and he's not above the others.
Plus Sapkowski=/=Game universe artifex

I never said she is. I merely said Geralt is not your run of the mill RPG chosen one. The world does not revolve around him and he's not above the others.

Point tken.

---------- Updated at 02:54 AM ----------

Point taken.

I didn't like Ciri prior to the game but after being given power over some of her decisions I managed to shape her in a way I was satisfied with. I was a huge opponent to the ciri playable sections prior to release but now I actually enjoy them. However I agree that the story kinda snubbed Geralt in the end. "You're just a witcher, silly" really sent my jimmies into a fit.

However I agree that the story kinda snubbed Geralt in the end. "You're just a witcher, silly" really sent my jimmies into a fit.

This. Yeah you're important but enough is enough; books were yours also, at least leave the fucking games to Geralt! If not for Geralt, you'd be dead 100th times over! Ungrateful bi... ok I stop

: D

Nah not sure he goes to die really... Probably just upset, monsters coming to attack him, he cuts everything in pieces out of rage and sorrow, goes back to being upset a bit longer, goes to drink A LOT in some inn probably for quite a while until he slowly comes back to himself and continues with his usual life or perhaps becomes more even more grumpy and combines Witcher Life with being a drunkard...

He's completely lost. He's finally found the medallion and just sits there, resigned, withdrawn. He's being overwhelmed by monsters and doesn't move a finger to prepare himself for the battle. No, he's going to die. Without Ciri, he feels he has nothing left to live for. That' why the viewpoint, the camera, keeps pulling back and back, to reveal the entire area around that hut, showing each of the creatures as they climb into it and showing no moment from Geralt inside. They're showing you that his death is inevitable.

Well... while I'm no Ciri fan, Geralt IS a huge fan of Ciri so the story made perfect sense to me. She's his destiny, his fate is intertwined with hers. Nobody in the world is more important to him. So basically, OP you wanted a story about a different Geralt it seems.

I think that Ciri is a perfectly fine character in the literary sense, what I hated was having to play as her. The only time I ever got a game over was when I was forced to play as Ciri, who can't parry,actually dodge, (I found that her elder blood power was awful for dodging the wolves) throw bombs, power swing... Ugh.

Going by the witcheress ending and Geralt being with Yen, Geralt finally gets that break he deserves and Ciri starts her journey as she doesn't have to fear being chased around every day of her life so I would say they are both the protagonists and since this was Geralt's last adventure it sets up Ciri's path perfectly.
So basically a shift of the spotlight but who knows what's gonna happen in the future with the Witcher series.

I never read the books....So Ciri just randomly appearing and becoming the be-all and end-all for the plot felt like the deus ex machina/ mcguffin from Mass Effect 3 with the crucible.

I was expecting Albert to play some part (even though he was killed in TW1 by geralt...Seeing as he had the elder blood) ...I was also expecting someone to explain what the white frost is and who caused it (some powerful magic spell?)....I was not expecting some chick with magic blood to stop a weather phenomenon.

There's an easter egg referencing Alvin in the game. It's inside one of the stores in Novigrad, a bookstore if I recall correctly. As soon as you talk to the owner, he tells you he has a package for you. You walk up the steps, take one of the books, and inside is a letter that Alvin wrote to you. While it's not much, it is nice to see.

Game should have had finding Ciri as a major sidequest to Geralt fighting the Wild Hunt.

I'm sorry but that would make no sense, seeing that the reason Geralt ever had anything to do with the Wild Hunt was that he and Yennefer were kidnapped in order to draw Ciri out and capture her. Take that out of the equation and Geralt never would have left his little island. And, say he had, and that he decided to fight the Wild Hunt, do you really think he would’ve gone the world over (as he did before the first game), just to kill a group of elves? My point is, the whole story wouldn’t have happened if not for Ciri, so of course the story should be centred around her.

To put it simply, as moonknightgog said:
Why Geralt should care and fight the Wild Hunt?

Obviously I didn't care in the slightest in finding Ciri, somewhat ruining the game for me (literally, I hate her that much).

I get that you don’t like the character, but you only play as Ciri a few times, hardly game-ruining material. I’d say you’re exaggerating a bit. By the way, “literally” literally doesn’t mean what you think it means!

Would have preferred a different cutscene where Geralt was glad Ciri was finally out of his hair, rich for bringing her to the emperor, and Yennefer eventually loses her powers, reverts back to a hunchback and is killed because people don't take her kind of crap from a magicless hunchback. Seriously, how can a person who was once a hunchback have such a horrible personality?

Geralt would never simply “give Ciri away” to the emperor, unless that was her choice. C’mon, you said you were reading the novels - they aren’t exactly friends (Geralt and the emperor). Now, why would Yennefer lose her powers? Having Yennefer die like that would serve no purpose storywise, would make no sense, and would actually reflect badly on the whole thing.

I get what you’re saying about her personality but ztoka gave a good explanation for it.

Funny that the game was even more linear than W2, where if you didn't like Triss, you can turn her down for sex, go with Roche, and save Anais in chapter 3. WH you have to save Ciri and you are suppose to romance Yennefer (other threads about how they screwed-up).

Again, you’re exaggerating, and a lot in this case. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt is anything but linear. The fact that you have a story to follow does not mean linear. Also, you’re oversimplifying the second game, which, again, was anything but linear.

I think she needed MORE time, honestly.

I think so too. While this game’s story isn’t the usual “the chosen one”, “the messiah”, “the dude who will save everyone because he’s just so awesome”, they did put her in that role - not in the usual way, of course, but still.

wish I could have just watched a cut scene about what she did.

Agreed. Would have been a simpler thing to do, too.

The ending is based on Ciri's fate, because is the result of Geralt's choice as father.

This guy gets it. It’s not based on Geralt’s “silly interactions” with Ciri. It’s based on his choices, actions and behavior as a father/mentor.

Nah not sure he goes to die really... Probably just upset

Perhaps they didn’t manage to make it clear enough that he was going to die, but it seemed pretty obvious to me. Not saying he does die, but that seems to be what they intended to show us.

Agreed, I also like Ciri a lot and would absolutely love having her as main Protagonist in TW4!

No, please! Let’s have something completely new, with different character and perhaps a different part of the world. Let’s not make The Witcher 4, let’s hope they make a new game, sure, but a new trilogy as well.

As for him losing the will to live. I don't buy it. He's been through so much, sure it would have made him sad, but normal people lose sons and don't break like that. And the witcher is anything but ordinary.

Witchers can’t have children. And for one to see another person as his own child, his own family, it’s hard and very unorthodox. I don’t think Geralt would simply think, “ah, I’ll just adopt another kid”. Besides:
To be fair, I think Geralt's abnormality is WHY he wouldn't be willing to go on. He's 100 years old and already tired of life with only Ciri and Yennefer keeping him going.

Precisely it. He shows time and again that he’s pretty old and very tired. So losing Ciri could - not saying should or that it certainly would - brake him.

And I agree that silly interactions determining the game's ending is just ridiculous.

Again, it’s not “the silly interactions”, and therefore it’s not ridiculous.

I think that's the syndrome of open world games, the main plot usually isn't that great and lack details.

Now, this simply isn’t true. Not only was the main plot very focused, detailed and polished, even the side quests were very memorable and interesting. I agree that that can happen with open world games, but it didn’t happen with this game, and neither did it happen with GTAV, another great open world game.

Still, open world or not, I at least expected that The Witcher 3 would bring closure for everything in Geralt's life during the game, and not by just watching some slides.

As you said, the game does bring closure for everything in Geralt’s life, just not in a way you enjoyed it, which is fine. I too would have prefered something like Mass Effect 3’s earth sequence in which you get to talk to everyone one last time.

The Witcher 3 shouldn’t have been a linear game. That would only have made it simpler, blender and less interesting. You wouldn’t get to meet all the interesting characters that you did and you certainly wouldn’t have cared as much for them (I’m talking about the minor plotlines and the amazing side quests). Being linear would only have detracted from it, not added. And the story, while not my favourite story in a video game, is certainly one of its strengths - it is what makes it a good RPG.

Yeah you're important but enough is enough; books were yours also, at least leave the fucking games to Geralt!
Actually, if not for the games and their story, Geralt is completely, 100% dead!

So basically, OP you wanted a story about a different Geralt it seems.

Precisely. Not just a different Geralt, but a different character altogether - which is fine, by the way, I mean, I’d love a Witcher game in which you get to make your own character, your own witcher, that isn’t an already established character.

when I was forced to play as Ciri, who can't parry,actually dodge, (I found that her elder blood power was awful for dodging the wolves) throw bombs, power swing... Ugh.

She does get some awesome powers as the game progresses though. I mean, maybe it’s just me but teleporting and slicing people up all at the same time is just AMAZING!

I never read the books....So Ciri just randomly appearing and becoming the be-all and end-all for the plot felt like the deus ex machina/ mcguffin from Mass Effect 3 with the crucible.

That is not what deus ex machina is. I think you meant to say that she’s some sort of forced plotpoint, something to keep the story moving but that feels artificial, like the Indominus Rex in Jurassic World.

I was expecting Albert to play some part...

That’s either Alvin or Jacques de Aldersberg. Don’t recall any Alberts.

That’s either Alvin or Jacques de Aldersberg. Don’t recall any Alberts.

Or one and the same? ;)

-

I agree that players who hop into the game without reading the books and not knowing Ciri's character and her meaning to the whole story, she can be very unlikeable character. Geralt has been always the center of Witcher games and Ciri takes half of that in TW3. So if you happen to not like her character, it can be heavy hit to liking the game. Personally she's in her own way, one of my favourite characters. Not quite living to the Ciri from the books, though she has grown up which has something to do with it, but good enough =)

Can't really see how one can hate Ciri's short gameplay sections so much, for me atleast, she is rather easy and fun to move and fight, and her skills makes it different enough for those short sequences. Also i think it's very preferable way to narrate her story inside the game.

Or one and the same? ;)

Haha, indeed. I remember there was a lot of speculation going on when the first game released, and I think it's safe to say that, considering the easter egg at the bookstore in Novigrad, they're one and the same.

Anyway, what I meant was that you could either say Alvin or Jacques de Aldesberg, but not Albert, since the only Albert I remember is Albert Geert, researcher of contemporary history at the Oxenfurt Academy.

:D

Top Bottom