Should I abandon this game for good?

+
DEERCG;n8757960 said:
zhiphius I tried many deck, but still no luck then.

By the way, here's a proof.

Well, I don't think there is any bad luck in that board. If your opponent is moderatly smart (or has eaten Geralt:Ignis left and right), he'll try to spread out his strength so as to limit the damage that card can do. The ekimmara is great for that because it allows you to move the strength around.

As for scorch, it's always a tricky card to play. On the one hand, you want to delay it as much as possible to make sure you can scorch the strongest card. On the other hand, you are going to put strengh on your own units, so the strongest card in the board might very well end up being yours. Knowing when it's a good time to throw it is no easy task, and there is a good amount of guess involved. If you risk, you might get burned. If you play it safe, perhaps you don't get as much value as you would have if you had waited another turn.

But look, when you pulled out your grave hag, you knew that it would be boosted up to 10, and you knew that there was no unit stronger than that in your opponent's side. So why didn't you use your scorch before laying down the grave hag? Perhaps you were thinking that your opponent would get a stronger unit in the next turn? If that is the case, you risked it, and you lost. Shite happens, and perhaps next time you'll be more conservative. But even though scorch is tricky to use, your predicament in that screenshot has very little to do with bad luck, and a lot more to do with the combination of your opponent being experienced enough to avoid a potential igni, and you being inexperienced enough to not know when to use scorch.

I have been burned by so many ignis that now I pay a lot more attention to the distribution of the strengh in my rows. And I have eaten so many of my own scorches due to not being able to use them that now I finally get some good value out of them most of the time. But it took many, many failures to learn.

EDIT: by the way, even if you could somehow burn that 9 strength ekimmara with your scorch, you would still have lost.

Last edited:
I am not some expert when it comes to cards, but I do my best and thus will do my best to give you some advice about your monster deck.

The thing with Monster deck is just well a bit tricky. You can either go consume or weather.

Consume seems far too easy to beat. Weather on the hand is stronger. I built a Foglet deck and I love it. Granted I don’t always win, but I play to have fun.

Here are some tips (I use) for you.

When building your monster deck try to keep two Clear Skies and one Griffin. Then toss in scorch and d. shackles (good for that Tibor card).

When an opponent plays a weather card, never ever use clear skies right away – especially in the first round. You can either pass to move on to the second round OR play cards on another row. If your opponent plays another weather card on that row, then use your clear skies or griffin. You can toss in some Drowner cards to move a card from a weather row to a safe row as well.

I highly recommend using the Succubus gold card. Just be sure to add in a couple of Drowners in case the opponent moves their cards away from the Succubus.

I am going to assume in the screen-shot this is the final round. Your leader card is already used. Most consume decks I played against they wait to use this card until the final round. With my Dagon card, I use it in the final round UNLESS I have no other choice but to use in the second round.

As I said I do not know what your deck is, but Crones (to me) are useless. I mean, “Horray 20 points!” but the problem is they are lumped on the same line and don’t offer much in the way of return value, especially late in the game. The opponent did the same thing I would have done, drop a weather card and watch the Crones die. You could counter this with Drowner cards…but it’s not worth it.

Any chance you can post your deck? As I said I am no expert but it would be interesting to see your set-up.

tortugueta;n8760500 said:
So why didn't you use your scorch before laying down the grave hag?
Because he can use other Ekimara to eat and bring it up to round 3.

tortugueta;n8760500 said:
by the way, even if you could somehow burn that 9 strength ekimmara with your scorch, you would still have lost.
The reasone why I don't want to burn it out because I want to get value for Geralt Igni (while he useless later). Do you notice him have 24 card left in deck but still luck enough to draw 2 gold card? Thank you, I'm very appreciate your comment.

Last edited:
Cantina12;n8760800 said:
I highly recommend using the Succubus gold card. Just be sure to add in a couple of Drowners in case the opponent moves their cards away from the Succubus.
Yes, she's good when I watch Noxious stream but I like Kayran also. Sadly, I don't have enough scraps to craft for now.

Cantina12;n8760800 said:
As I said I do not know what your deck is, but Crones (to me) are useless.

We need something to catch up huge point swim in these day with Dwarf, NG and NR decks.

Cantina12;n8760800 said:
Any chance you can post your deck? As I said I am no expert but it would be interesting to see your set-up.
Here's my deck. Not good when usually draw Crone all same time then comeback in round 2 and 3.

I had a monster deck. Unseen elder. I found as I tweaked it some cards I drew frequently just stopped getting drawn. I would normally get my grave hag or marching orders, but then I would get neither. The amount of cards didn't change and it was basically the same deck. I know it's rng but I still made a tin foil hat.

First and foremost, if your planning on beating the decks you mentioned, you do it one of two ways: consume deck or weather deck. No offense, in your case you have neither. You have way too many kill/damage opponent cards and not enough monsters. Are you low on cards?

To make a proper consume deck you need the Nekker Warrior card(s), Nekker Card(s) and the lizard card(s). Adding the Ghoul and the Grave Hag is a nice boost.

To make a decent weather card deck you need to swing towards Foglets, or Wild Hunt or perhaps somewhere down the middle.
IMO the only damage bronze/silver cards you should have are: Scorch, Two Clear Skies, a pair of D. Shackles and maybe a potion card or even a quen card.

If your swinging towards consume adding in a single weather card can be beneficial but not necessary. As for Monster weather, well I have 2 fogs, Dagon, Airomancer and Woodland Spirit. The reason being is: with a Monster weather deck you want to keep the weather on the board as much as possible.

Bottom line is: What type of deck style are you going for? Consume? Monster Weather? You can go somewhere in-between but it’s a bit tricky.

If youre going to play consumption monster, I highly recommend you add neckers and possibly nekker warriors. These give your deck a bit of consistency. If you can get a nekker and a warrior in your hand, multiply the nekkers, then if you need to eat them another nekker will just come out from your deck. End of round? Another nekker will just come out from your deck. From what ive learned playing other card games, its better to make a deck that's really good at one thing, instead of being decent at several things. Decks that are focused on some idea will most likely crush a non focused deck. Youre probably better off going full consumption or full weather, instead of trying to strike a balance between the two.

Cantina12;n8761850 said:
What type of deck style are you going for?
Build a unique decks.

MechanicalLamb23;n8761870 said:
Another nekker will just come out from your deck.
Nekker 2 strength will die soon with weather now.

Back to the point of topic, I feel fine with decks although it still need to tweak a little bit. But problem is I don't draw card that I want because I have bad luck. No clear sky when face with weather, no scorch or Geralt Igni when face with buff decks.

Well, the only thing you can do to imrove your RNG with draws is deck thinning. Crones alone usually dont cut it.
As i side note, you run Scorch, Igni and double mardrome. Most of the time all 4 cards deal with the same threats: Overbuffed units. If i was looking to change something, id probably get rid of 2 of them. I dont know your selection of silvers and golds, so id probably just drop mardromes and... idk, alzur? To get arachas into deck. Helps with thinning, and reduces your ods of getting left with a dead hard removal in hand. Overall, you have alot of reactive cards in deck: Grave hag, Caretaker, Yenn, with allready heavily reactive sepcial setup. Maybe reconsider one of those? GH is core i guess, but Igni and yen:con, while awesome by themselves, are both reliant on the state of the board, and often can end up with negative synergy with each other. Another viable opotion seem to be squeezing in Frightener. Draws you a card, and can help to trigger Igni. Unreliable, but could work.
RNG in CCG is the most annoying thing, so avoiding it if you can is really a good idea. Since its a consume least, arachas for thinning seem reasonable. Ge'Els could also help greatly with consistency.I havent tried such variation of monsters, so i cant really advice anything beyond that.

Last edited:
idomyownstunts;n8761270 said:
I had a monster deck. Unseen elder. I found as I tweaked it some cards I drew frequently just stopped getting drawn. I would normally get my grave hag or marching orders, but then I would get neither. The amount of cards didn't change and it was basically the same deck. I know it's rng but I still made a tin foil hat.

I have the feeling that CDPR changed something with the drawing mechanism one or two days ago. I suddenly started getting several messed up first round draws with way too many bronze cards. I also didn't change anything and only have 25 cards (and it should be enough deck thinning).

DEERCG;n8764670 said:
Build a unique decks.

Nekker 2 strength will die soon with weather now.

Back to the point of topic, I feel fine with decks although it still need to tweak a little bit. But problem is I don't draw card that I want because I have bad luck. No clear sky when face with weather, no scorch or Geralt Igni when face with buff decks.

You have some consume triggers already in the form of your leader and ekimmaras. Just your leader alone makes nekkers a 5, with an ekimmara, a 6, and etc.

in order to increase consistency (to draw what you need) you need a bit more thinning. Nekkers help with that since they "play themselves " out of the deck. Plus they help with carryover since after each round, when they die, they summon another in the board

frightener also helps with thinning

shrooms also seem like overkill with both igni and scorch in, probably I would remove both of them and an elemental for 3 nekkers and either horn or scorch for a frightener, and work towards crafting a frog which again helps simultaneously with both thinning and consume triggers.

since you probably row stack either way (horn, elemental, harpies, etc) maybe switch a clear skies or two for archhgriffins as well

isnadtochiev;n8764750 said:
GH is core i guess
You're right. I build around Grave Hag but it isn't strong enough as I expected.

shroudb Thank you for your suggestion. I will give it a try.
But if we run Nekkers then opponent will know and focus on melee row and kill it.
Beside, manly lock card appear now so I worry about it.

Last edited:
DEERCG;n8765220 said:
You're right. I build around Grave Hag but it isn't strong enough as I expected.

But if we run Nekkers then opponent will know and focus on melee row and kill it.

If they kill it they thin your deck, if they lock it they won't lock your GH or your ekimmara

DEERCG;n8765220 said:

To be frank, i havent tried consume due to its apparent lack outstanding powerplays. And yes, both nekkers and arachas are an easy victim for weather, wich is plentifull nowadays. In late CBT, Behemoths+Vrans were really strong. They took a nerf, but the biggest issue here are changes to be weather. Still, If i were to make a consume deck, id try something around those units. Dont have much time to play ATM, so i dont experiment as much as id like to. If you end up with a potent GH deck, would you mind sharing it? In any case, best of luck in your expetiment.

I'm running a pure consume deck at the moment, because I really like it in general but didn't want to play it in closed beta, because basically everyone was playing monster consume or ST control. In more than 50 ranked games I faced the unseen elder maybe once, so I that problem is definitely gone. The main problem for monster consume is weather like already mentioned before. If you're playing against a wild hunt deck you usually won't have a chance (Except you draw Triss:Butterfly Spell in the first round, a really great card for monster consume, but you're still in big trouble against frost decks). If you're a playing against Skellige you'll lose if they play savage bear, because it hits spawned units and against NG, well sometimes you win, but NG is just so strong.....

edit: I tried different versions, this is the one I am playing currently: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/20253-a...-paradise-v1-0

Last edited:
There is nothing to do in this game while CDPR can't nerf NilfTard fration (it will take around a half-year to reduce Tibor's buff to 15 from 25)

Black_Legion;n8766980 said:
There is nothing to do in this game while CDPR can't nerf NilfTard fration (it will take around a half-year to reduce Tibor's buff to 15 from 25)

salty much? you do realize that Tibor is at the exact same strength total as Kayran, Lugos, Phillipa, Leo, Hjalmar, ithline and the rest competitive golds right? (all sit at the 16-18 range)
i could maybe see him dropping 1, maximum 2 points, just because he's a bit easier to use, but 10 points? get real man

p.s. NG isn't even the faction of choice for top ranks, some play it, but SK is more popular, and SC/MO are about as much as NG

jamai36;n8757590 said:
I know I am burning out personally - can only play a slightly altered starter deck for so long. In any other CCG aside from HS I'd more or less have a potent competitive deck by now (or two). Gwent is a longgg slog. I have just been spoiled in other CCGs I guess! Such a fun game but personally I am finding it a bit of burnout playing subpar beginner decks for so long.

This is the problem I'm having too. As someone who just picked up in the open beta. I loved Gwent in game and I love it here. The problem is, in game, I could run around and get all my cards to make the deck I needed to win. Here, I have to spend a ton of cash or a TOOOOON of time, both of which aren't appealing to me. I've spent a lot on Hearthstone(As much as it pains me) and I don't want to get in to that kind of relationship with a card game again. I honestly like Gwent more than HS already, the problem is that I've already spent my money/time in HS so I have all the decks/cards I need to make anything, where as in gwent I have nothing.

I feel that this kind of thing will turn people off, self included, from a far superior card game.

brunnor;n8769450 said:
This is the problem I'm having too. As someone who just picked up in the open beta. I loved Gwent in game and I love it here. The problem is, in game, I could run around and get all my cards to make the deck I needed to win. Here, I have to spend a ton of cash or a TOOOOON of time, both of which aren't appealing to me. I've spent a lot on Hearthstone(As much as it pains me) and I don't want to get in to that kind of relationship with a card game again. I honestly like Gwent more than HS already, the problem is that I've already spent my money/time in HS so I have all the decks/cards I need to make anything, where as in gwent I have nothing.

I feel that this kind of thing will turn people off, self included, from a far superior card game.

CDPR took a very bold and slightly unusual risk with Gwent's reward system.

Most competitors know they can't touch HS and can only hope for a small community to power them, so they do everything they can to be easier to get into. Yes you lose out on some potential per-player income, but it is much easier to grab someone if you are offering them much more early on.

Gwent offers you very little right off the bat and combines this with the fact that it costs an INSANE amount of money to purchase power in the game compared to any competitors. Where Gwent shines is that you get a lot of power over time. This does present a major risk to new player experience though.

Because of this, if you want a good deck, you either:
a) Have to grind for a much longer time than other non-HS CCGs
b) Spend much more money than other non-HS CCGs

Yes the tradeoff is potentially more money spent per player + more time spent in game per player, but grabbing a player in this CCG rich environment will prove difficult...

.. Unless your game is of course, really good. That's the gamble CDPR is taking. Time will tell if this high risk/high reward model will work out.

Top Bottom