Should I pre order Cyberpunk?

+
Should I pre order Cyberpunk?
I don't want to feed into crunch and undue stress for the developers. I suspect that pre order culture is the reason for crunch among other bad practices in the industry.
You don't need to feel bad. The reason for crunch is not the gamer. It's the producers fault and the manager's job to stop the devs from overworking. For a publicly traded company like CD Projekt it is especially complicated because you have investors you have to answer to, you're on the stock market, they want a release date, so they know when all of the money you've been spending on the thing is due to get return, so it's more about giving those people a release date than it is giving gamers a release date. It's a busyness requirement and we can't really do much about it.

Last edited:
NEVER PREORDER

This.

That so many gamers preorder is mostly due to FoMO. I've bought plenty of physical copies of games on Day 1 without preordering and was never told they were out of stock. No one needs to preorder to play the game on release day.

The only reason to predorder is if you know you're going to buy the game anyway, no matter how the game reviews, and you absolutely must have whatever predorder bonuses might be coming with it.

You don't need to feel bad. The reason for crunch is not the gamer. It's the producers fault and the manager's job to stop the devs from overworking. For a publicly traded company like CD Projekt it is especially complicated because you have investors you have to answer to, you're on the stock market, they want a release date, so they know when all of the money you've been spending on the thing is due to get return, so it's more about giving those people a release date than it is giving gamers a release date. It's a busyness requirement and we can't really do much about it.

On the other hand, betcha crunch will vanish within a month, globally, if every "gamer" or consumer in the world would shut their wallets to any kind of product that has crunch, or any other kind of undesirable work ethic or societal issue that we as a species would rather like to get rid of.

That's not gonna happen of course because we as consumers are far too attached to buying shiny things like the hoarding magpies we are, all while giving little to no consideration to the consequences.

However I don't want to feed into crunch and undue stress for the developers. I suspect that pre order culture is the reason for crunch among other bad practices in the industry.

It's not pre-ordering that's the main problem. It's buying for the "newly released" price at all.

You should maybe feel just a little bit bad, but only as bad as every other gamer here, for not doing your part in that aforementioned solution: not buying it. I'm just as guilty of that when it comes to Cyberpunk.

If you are though... there's an ocean of games out there. The next best thing you can do is buy it for half the price a few months later and just put your attention into other half price games. I do that with every other game I've bought over the past decade and I've only made an exception for Cyberpunk (which I'm beginning to regret).

There's also gamers who will go "well, it's the companies for doing crunch and government's fault for not making the right laws, isn't it? Not mine!". Then the companies go "well, it's the gamer's demand for games and the competition this creates, that forces us to crunch against the other companies! Not our fault!". And the governments go "People want to have money remaining to buy games and clearly employee crunch isn't high up on their political agenda! Not our fault!"

And like that, the entire system just sustains itself without anyone taking any responsibility, and that's even sadder. At least you gave it some thought Donalds.

NEVER PREORDER

This too. I mean buying at full price on release date? Conceivable.

Giving the publisher your money ahead of time? That's simply ridiculous IMO. They're not going to run out and no publisher is worth that amount of trust. I've come to the point where I'm of the opinion that CDPR isn't worth that either. (I'm just not going to make a song and dance out of it by creating "I've Cancelled!!1!!!" posts).

I don't think there is actually a benefit to pre-ordering aside from getting to play the game the moment it comes out.

If you want to wait for a sale after release and don't mind waiting then I say go for it. I personally wasn't going to wait until a price drop so I just decided to pre-order.

Guest 4406876

I'll most likely preorder the day before its released (this time for sure) just to get the download on and be ready to play at hour 0 :D . For you idk, if you have doubts about the kind of game or the setting (since you're asking) I'd wait to see if you might like it (and i think in this case couple of hours will be enough and you'll find playthru and opinions right away on youtube and so on). Personally I'm staying away from such platforms and, in this case, for me it's more than mandatory as I don't want any kind of spoiler.

I've never preordered a game before. I was thinking about preordering this one but since I've not seen yet anything related to crafting, inventory management, character progression system, skills and their impact to gameplay etc. despite we are so close to release... I can only say: >PAYING: WHEN IT'S READY

Pre-ordering isn't something someone else can answer for you, in my opinion.

Personally, if there is a game I'm absolutely going to play, I might pre-order so that my funds are already allocated. For instance, I preordered Cyberpunk over a year ago (June of 2019), so those funds have already been long spent. My budget is satisfied and I don't have to worry about it anymore. But that's just me.

The benefit is supporting the developer and letting them know that there is demand for it.

In this case, I don't think support is warranted.
I mean, yes, but you support them buy buying the game at any price tag other than free and therefore create a demand for the product because you "demanded" a copy. I get what you're saying, but pre-ordering doesn't necessarily equate to creating more support or more demand than buying it 4 days after release.

If I may ask, why don't you think supporting this dev or creating a demand for the game they have poured a lot of their resources and love into these past few years is warranted?

i legit cancelled my preorder ,for the first time in so many years my hype for this game has finally died down ,there are many questionable design decisions but the last delay was the final nail in the coffin ,seeing all these delays even after going gold (which i never remember ever happening because of development) shows that not only the game is going through development hell but there is a piss poor communication between developers and management and that the people who left Cdpr and said that the game is heading towards a bad direction were not lying ,they keep insisting that "what we have here is something very special and a generation defining masterpiece we want to polish it as much as we can" makes me even more worried because it gives me major TLOU 2 vibes ,they still can win some people over in the next night city wire so we shall see ,but honestly from now on whatever they say or do means nothing for me anymore until the game releases.

Last edited:
The only game I've pre-ordered that didn't turn out to be a huge disappointment was the original FFVII, every game I've pre-ordered since has let me down quite a bit. I'm still disappointed CDPR changed CP2077 to a FPS but I've kept my pre-order. I of course hope I won't be disappointed but I know most likely I will be.

Guest 4406876

The only game I've pre-ordered that didn't turn out to be a huge disappointment was the original FFVII, every game I've pre-ordered since has let me down quite a bit. I'm still disappointed CDPR changed CP2077 to a FPS but I've kept my pre-order. I of course hope I won't be disappointed but I know most likely I will be.
Personally I've set my expectations along the same as for Sleeping Dogs (yes you read that right), this way there'll be less room for disappointment. And I even liked it big time.

Because they have failed us.
In what way? Being vague is fine and all, and I can understand if you don't have a legitimate, solid answer aside from a gut feeling, but could you elaborate more on what you mean by that? [Edited -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:
I preordered my collector's edition directly from CD Projekt Red on ebay and its the PC version. Only $240. Im so glad I scored that. It just shipped on the 14th, according to ebay.

Last edited:
I almost never pre-order or purchase at launch.

"Almost" is because, and this is a bit tricky to explain...

I only pre-order when I don't necessarily care how much I'm going to love the game. It's not because I expect it to be the best game ever...or that I'll even like it all that much...it's because it's something that I'm sure I want to experience.

For example, Mount and Blade Bannerlord and Star Wars Squadrons were two games that were no-brainers for me (and yes, I count pre-ordering and Early Access to be exactly the same thing. You have no idea what the final product is going to be at official release). I knew that, at worst, M&B would be more of the same, and at best, it would offer some surprising new mechanics. It wound up being largely the former, at least for now. I knew Squadrons was either going to soar or crash immediately, but I'd be damned if I wasn't going to support a return to Star Wars simulations! It ended up being the best Star Wars sim I've ever played.

But I regret neither purchase because I wasn't buying them with expectations of a certain level of achievement. I was buying them because I 100% wanted to see it for myself.

I always wait until the day before release. Normally that's enough time for reviews and stuff to be out but if there's a review embargo then I wait until after.. I like doing it the day before just because I can download the game and get that all ready and I'll still get any pre-order goodies. I've never understood why folks would pre-order so far in advance unless they are going for a physical collectors edition or something.

Top Bottom