Should lifepaths have passive bonuses, should there be tougher opponents in small gigs?

+

Surma.

Forum regular
I was watching today JuiceHead's list of top 10 best mods video and there was a lot of interesting ideas that these modders have added.

In the first mod there's mention about how Street Kids do more damage to Valentinos for example and I was just thinking yeah something like that would be great way to simply add more flavor and actual gameplay effecting change, other than just quest dialogues.

I really love this idea and would like to see something similar coming out of the studio as well. Maybe if you're Corpo, you're familiar with a lot of computing stuff, so maybe you're a natural netrunner, who has 20% boosted damage when hacking. If you're a street kid, maybe you have 20% additional chance to score criticals (including hacking) but maybe you'll take 20% additional damage from hacks. If you're Nomad, you've carried the cybernetics far less time in your life and just recently became a mercenary in the city, so maybe due to this only recent acquisition of cybernetics, you're more resistant to hacking and if using weapons with spray pattern the spray pattern is 25% smaller, meaning higher damage from distance.

This change alone would likely require like 1-5 people working to implement these changes in just 1-2 weeks and would add a ton of flavor to the game.

Also maybe you could have 1 extra lifepath...? I don't know what to call it, but lets say you're the rich kid. Not a corpo, but actually someone who owns a large chunk of lets say Militech, and lets say you're in a dinner party and your cousin backstabs you and steals all your assets because of some old gripe he has with you.

Maybe this lifepath could have you earning 25% gold from every single mission, and vendor items are 10% cheaper. Maybe for combat this guy could be the backup support kind of role oriented, meaning the crowd control you cast on enemies is increased by 75% in duration, and you also receive 50% less duration of crowd control on you... which might become very handy if there was PvP in some near future with these lifepaths making some significance.

Now my 2nd idea that kinda popped into my head (after he was talking about some gangs having special resistances) was maybe there should be 1(maybe 1-2) special unit(s) that is far tougher and ability to do way more than your regular fight on these NCPD missions to stop gangs and these gigs. Have the quest giver (which you usually communicate by phone call) alert you about the danger with something like "Watch out of Bulldog, he's really deadly in close ranged combat." and he carries some massive shotgun that basically one-two shots you in harder difficulties if you try to go near him. Maybe have some special units (not just the skull marked) to be resistance to silent knockdowns.

If these gangs and gigs were just little more S.P.E.C.I.A.L. there would be so much repeatability, especially if these random bonuses for each individual were able to be randomly generated. Lets say first play through this Bulldog guy had 1 shot shotgun, but the next time he has a pistol that always deals criticals upon landing on you, basically 3-4 shotting you from range in a large crowded area, making you to think how to engage on that area. Maybe blind the person for 20 seconds instead of trying to deal him first?

Also some other balances like making healing to have healing reduction after inhaling 2-3-4th one after first, with lets say 30 second duration on this debuff before it disappears, some new UI updates to add clarity, and making netrunners able to hack you with something else than just that Overheat... clothing bonuses for at least types of gear and my god, what an upgrade would it be...

Last edited:
I agree that significant lifepath bonuses would be interesting, even though it would probably only impact the first hours of the game (since CP2077 gets rather easy anyways). But I doubt two weeks is enough to properly implement changes like that. After all, you would have to recheck all quests for balancing.

Adding a new lifepath doesn’t seem like a good idea to me, I‘d rather see more lifepath related quests and interactions to make lifepaths more meaningful on a narrative level (but I‘m not counting on that to happen, as it would require a lot of additional work).

And yeah, it wouldn’t hurt to have a few more unique and tough opponents . And I agree that healing is a bit too easy at this point.

Just my opinion about a new lifepath : very, very unlikely :(
Way too much work for an update or a DLC and not enough interesting for an expansion.

For the new skill/bonus/abilities for existing lifepaths, why not (but also require work, maybe too much, so...)

Surma.

Forum regular
Just my opinion about a new lifepath : very, very unlikely :(
Way too much work for an update or a DLC and not enough interesting for an expansion.
These could be smaller updates that happen throughout 2022 or 2023 even, just to add a little spice to the game, and also maybe reshape the balance a little as well since there's going to be PvP eventually, adding a new lifepath once every 6 months with new starting events and 3 missions for lifepath. I know it'll take some work, but it'll keep people interested for both multiplayer and single player.

I don't think all lifepaths need to share dialogue options (especially the rich guy who would be clueless to actual work related corpo stuff, and no tinkering nomad skills or street kid experience) and those are quite few and rare to find anyways.

No, I don't want the choice of lifepath to push me toward any specific build.
You could still go with exact same builds and deal relatively same damage. Street kid netrunner could be in fact better in some scenarios due to crit scaling, and maybe some netrunners prefer to CC their opponents first.

Lets say you pick the rich a-hole as starting lifepath, you earn extra gold and have more money to spend to crafting armor, and even if you'd never use hacks to cripple your opponents with crowd control, you'd still get some value from other areas.

Think of it like World of Warcraft races where Night Elves have 1% dodge, while Taurens have 5% extra hp, Undeads are able to remove fear and so on... all very useful, even if you are Undead Warrior who might have a natural ability to resist fear effects, there's always some useful effect from it.

I've never heard anyone in the game complain (when I played game from Vanilla to WotLK) like "I don't want to have these racials, I want every class to be same so I can roll Night Elf Priest", people loved to experiment with these things, and they like the little nuance it gives to the gameplay.

Guest 3847602

You could still go with exact same builds and deal relatively same damage. Street kid netrunner could be in fact better in some scenarios due to crit scaling, and maybe some netrunners prefer to CC their opponents first.

Lets say you pick the rich a-hole as starting lifepath, you earn extra gold and have more money to spend to crafting armor, and even if you'd never use hacks to cripple your opponents with crowd control, you'd still get some value from other areas.

Think of it like World of Warcraft races where Night Elves have 1% dodge, while Taurens have 5% extra hp, Undeads are able to remove fear and so on... all very useful, even if you are Undead Warrior who might have a natural ability to resist fear effects, there's always some useful effect from it.

I've never heard anyone in the game complain (when I played game from Vanilla to WotLK) like "I don't want to have these racials, I want every class to be same so I can roll Night Elf Priest", people loved to experiment with these things, and they like the little nuance it gives to the gameplay.
Lifepath bonuses just seem too random and arbitrary for my taste.
Never played or cared about WoW, but from how you're describing it, it's a choice between different species and classes. Lifepaths are backstories. For example, there's no reason to presume that copros will be natural at hacking. Takemura is a corpo, yet he's not a netrunner. Alt Cunningham was one of the best netrunners in the world, but not a corpo.
I don't want the game to tell my what kind of playstyle is best suited for the lifepath I've selected, because there's no any logic behind this.

Lifepath bonuses just seem too random and arbitrary for my taste.
Never played or cared about WoW, but from how you're describing it, it's a choice between different species and classes. Lifepaths are backstories. For example, there's no reason to presume that copros will be natural at hacking. Takemura is a corpo, yet he's not a netrunner. Alt Cunningham was one of the best netrunners in the world, but not a corpo.
I don't want the game to tell my what kind of playstyle is best suited for the lifepath I've selected, because there's no any logic behind this.

You make a good argument on this. I agree that there should be bonus for race and class in fantasy games like Oblivion and Skyrim but in this case the Life Paths in this game should only effect story and dialog and factions if the game had factions that mattered more.

Traveller is still the game that made lifepath more meaningful. You spent "years" of your character background and you gain bonus in a discipline(for example you enroll in the army,you get better in assault rifles). To avoid abusing the system, theres also the chance to get a permanent malus(you got injured in the battle of xyz), your character age can influence your stat limit and for extra fun your character can actually die in the character creation .

I think aspects of the Lifepath could benefit from being expanded, but not to the extent that they alter character stats or affect the gameplay mechanically.
As it is, the Lifepath exists to allow you to generate what your PC looks like and where they came from, which is what it is meant to do, if we look at it being an adaptation of the one in the 2020 sourcebook.
Still, it would benefit immersion and replayability if a selection of Lifepath choices affected the way quests, specific NPCs, Fixers and other characters react to V throughout the game. Maybe each LP could include LP-restricted gigs or a Fixer that the other two do not have access to, maybe develop a minor enemy (enemies are a way of life in Cyberpunk).

So for instance Corpo V could have a better developed Frank Nostra, maybe Streetkid V really angered the Corpo whose car they tried to jack in the intro (roll 1D10 to find out how they react!)

Likely not gonna happen, but it's fun to brainstorm.

"SHOULD LIFEPATHS HAVE PASSIVE BONUSES, SHOULD THERE BE TOUGHER OPPONENTS IN SMALL GIGS?"

I always welcome more differentiation between lifepaths, both in combat and exploration.
And 1 or 2 tough ones of an enemy squad is also welcome.
Would welcome a new lifepath too, but can't really come up with one that would utilize all those jobs and gigs.

Last year I was thinking of an exclusive new lifepath where V was to become a badge with Jackie as his/her story long partner, but that would mean a complete overhaul of the entire game.

Never played or cared about WoW, but from how you're describing it, it's a choice between different species and classes. Lifepaths are backstories.

Every race had it's place of origin and their own secluded area to level up at least until you're level 20 with orcs having to deal with their wildlife and some fights with trolls or something (it's a long time since I played and don't really bother to look these up) while humans were dealing with kobolts and murlocs and had their own little struggles.

For humans they got to visit their capitol the quickest after just level 4 but I think it took for Night Elves to get to level 7-8 if I'm not mistaken Undead might have taken the longest as the ruins of Stratholme were quite far away (to my recollection at least) from all the quests in the area. Of course everyone could visit their place of origin by just running there at level 1 and might get killed few times on the road but able to get there.

Blood Elves had to deal with meteor striking and causing a ripple all the way through their new home area, which was originally summoned there by some boss in the level 10 area I believe... again it's been long time.

But just to state that each race had it's own original and long back story.

People even were rerolling Blood Elves in expansion just because of the trait alone, which allowed to silence nearby opponents and gain a bit of mana/energy/rage.

Introducing a new backstory with a powerful abilities that differ from other backstories is something people will spend time doing and you could have instead of just majority of players spending 50 hours to play the game through once + expansions, and 25 hours on multiplayer, maybe they'll spend another 50 hours to make second character just to max out a specific playstyle...

But to make this work (if this even comes to multiplayer and those characters aren't completely separate from single player) there needs to be some way to manage multiple lists of characters in save files, where I believe it's currently just storing a new record and ordering them by last saved, and you'll have like 200 saves throughout the campaign... to something that's more akin to what games like World of Warcraft or Zelda games are doing where game almost recommends to start a new lifepath as different V.

I guess there's some good arguments to not do this as it'll create unnecessary grind of already cleared content for players, but maybe these strengths could be so minuscule people wouldn't mind them... or maybe it's some other option during the creation... like wasn't there supposed to be some "favorite hero character" or something of that sort in the early stages of development? Maybe like instead of a favorite hero, you'd pick your most valued attribute, like valuing strength above all else, makes your character have 10% more body mass (or health), while someone valuing guns gets to reload their weapons 25% faster, someone valuing intellect has 20% reduced charge time for RAM.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this, but it definitely seemed interesting.

Yeah that's some realism right there.
Your character has 11% chance to get aborted, so you'll get game over before game even starts.

Maybe we could get 5% chance the grandpa Saburo gets killed by pandemic roaming in USA and then everyone just scans the room to find who infected him, and you get found out and executed by Adam Smasher. Shouldn't have brought that 157th covid variant to the Konpeki Plaza.

(obviously I'm kidding and that would be a bad idea :)

Yes thanks I did already look it up on steam.
Sadly it is not a single player, and it requires a third party paid service (but the service also has a free tear). I was disappointed because the talk about character building made me think you were referring to vast and multifaceted "game systems" single player like old Fable games.
Are we talking about the 90s video games? They are single player but controlling a party

Top Bottom