Should Lyrics be a dealbreaker in GrowlFM?

+
As we all know, there was a music contest for the new DLC Phantom Liberty.
Quite a lot of people have pre-released their music on YouTube and other platforms already, and a minor discussion has started about the credibility of those songs existing in the cyberpunk 2077 universe. The biggest 'issue' for the ones I talked to was, that most songs feel like a soundtrack rather than the product of a cyberpunk musician.

However, when I listened to the few songs that did have vocals in them, I noticed some songs referencing things of our universe (Like the coffee shop Costa).
Our of curiosity towards the community; how strict would YOU as a JUDGE be with lyrics made by fans for the cyberpunk growl fm radio station? Would you allow Elon Musk or McDonalds to be referenced, or would that be an instant dealbreaker for you?

Happy to hear opinions :)

Would you allow Elon Musk or McDonalds to be referenced, or would that be an instant dealbreaker for you?
FOR ME, yes it would be a dealbreaker !
(but that's just me^^)
It would seem to me to be very (very) odd to hear references which have no sense in the universe. Like your example, both don't even exist in the world, so well, why even quoting them in a song.

On a side note, if I find the song is really good, I would certainely forgive this little "mistake" without problem :)

Last edited:
No Save Point by Run the Jewels directly references Keanu Reeves, the real life model of Johnny Silverhand, and it is still on the soundtrack. No one seems terribly put out by it.

I would not restrict the creativity of the Growl FM contestants just for the sake of player immersion since such a restriction was not originally part of the rules for entering the competition.

No Save Point by Run the Jewels directly references Keanu Reeves, the real life model of Johnny Silverhand, and it is still on the soundtrack. No one seems terribly put out by it.

I would not restrict the creativity of the Growl FM contestants just for the sake of player immersion since such a restriction was not originally part of the rules for entering the competition.

Huh, how about that... I never even noticed. I guess if the lyric isn't super obvious then it's easier to get away with.

(Actually just went and watched the official music video - very cool - but I still missed the Reeves reference haha)

However, when I listened to the few songs that did have vocals in them, I noticed some songs referencing things of our universe (Like the coffee shop Costa).
Our of curiosity towards the community; how strict would YOU as a JUDGE be with lyrics made by fans for the cyberpunk growl fm radio station? Would you allow Elon Musk or McDonalds to be referenced, or would that be an instant dealbreaker for you?

For me personally, it would be a deal breaker (the meta reference to Reeves being the one exception I guess - though I wonder if that version of No Save Point is in the game?).

On a side note, I've noticed some people trying to write lyrics in English when they're not native in it (which is cool if you can pull it off) but I'm also VERY interested in hearing the singer's native language.

EDIT: I just read that lyrics must be in English/Spanish/Japanese/Chinese, so I guess that's why. Hopefully CDPR's other tracks on Growl will include a bit more though. Be pretty cool if they have a track with Haitian Creole in it.

For me personally, it would be a deal breaker (the meta reference to Reeves being the one exception I guess - though I wonder if that version of No Save Point is in the game?).
Yes, there is a Keanu reference and also a "Mercedes" (cars) one, but it's just one time for each. So No Save Point would enter in my "side note" (I could forgive little mistakes if the song is really good) :giggle:

It would put me off, as the Keanu Reeves reference and that song did when it came up in the game. I found the Night City Wire about the music and musicians in the game great. Loved the challenge CDPR gave to the musicians when they asked them to know about the lore and imagine they are artists/rockerboys in this world. I felt they extended now this invitation/challenge to the community, which is awesome.

On a side note, I've noticed some people trying to write lyrics in English when they're not native in it (which is cool if you can pull it off) but I'm also VERY interested in hearing the singer's native language.

EDIT: I just read that lyrics must be in English/Spanish/Japanese/Chinese, so I guess that's why. Hopefully CDPR's other tracks on Growl will include a bit more though. Be pretty cool if they have a track with Haitian Creole in it.
Yeah, the language requirements already somewhat 'forced' the musicians at least in that category to be part of the cyberpunk space (even though im surprised french wasnt part of it). I speak some japanese and almost put some japanese rhymes in my song, but it didnt fit :)

It'd be a dealbreaker to me aswell, mainly because I feel like theres a difference between "fanmusic" and "story music". Of course, if you can break the 4th wall in a clever way (like saying "armed with silver arm to raise a fist against the matrix"), I find it a nice little easter egg.

Then begs the next question if the jury can decipher the lyrics properly. My song has been pitch-shifted, which made the diction suffer, but even with well-produced radio songs I find myself not understanding most rappers.

As we all know, there was a music contest for the new DLC Phantom Liberty.
Quite a lot of people have pre-released their music on YouTube and other platforms already, and a minor discussion has started about the credibility of those songs existing in the cyberpunk 2077 universe. The biggest 'issue' for the ones I talked to was, that most songs feel like a soundtrack rather than the product of a cyberpunk musician.

From the rules: "The Entry has to be in line with the provisions of applicable law. In particular, the Entry shall not infringe someone else’s copyrights, trademarks or other Intellectual Property or personal rights." So, I wouldn't worry about McDonald's or Elon Musk references, at least direct references.

I just read that lyrics must be in English/Spanish/Japanese/Chinese, so I guess that's why.
Yeah, the language requirements already somewhat 'forced' the musicians at least in that category to be part of the cyberpunk space (even though im surprised french wasnt part of it)
At fist, I didn't get why at first, but it's quite obvious (to me) why only English, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese are "allowed"... It's the "official" languages in Night City :)
English > everywhere - Spanish > Heywood - Japanese >Japan Town - Chinese > Kabuki/little China
There is no French anywhere.

At fist, I didn't get why at first, but it's quite obvious (to me) why only English, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese are "allowed"... It's the "official" languages in Night City :)
English > everywhere - Spanish > Heywood - Japanese >Japan Town - Chinese > Kabuki/little China
There is no French anywhere.
Oh, correct me if im wrong, but I thought the voodoo boys (pacifica district in general) has some french in there?

From the rules: "The Entry has to be in line with the provisions of applicable law. In particular, the Entry shall not infringe someone else’s copyrights, trademarks or other Intellectual Property or personal rights." So, I wouldn't worry about McDonald's or Elon Musk references, at least direct references.
The songs could make direct references to Musk or McDonalds as long as it can be proven that the references neither infringe or dilute the copyright nor do they tarnish the brand or defame the person being referenced.

Most creators tend to depict brands or people in an unflattering light as a form of satire, so they use fictional brands and characters to avoid legal woes.

Elon Musk is a big supporter of the game, so I don't think that the judges would look favorably of any negative representation of him in any of the Growl entries.

Oh, correct me if im wrong, but I thought the voodoo boys (pacifica district in general) has some french in there?
VDBs speak Haitian Creole, which can sound french (it a french-based language), but it's not french.
For example, when Brigitte speak on phone in Evy's BD, I don't understand what she say... Just some words sound familiar, but that's all :)

(On side note, VDBs live isolated, so they probably produce music too... But for them only and won't probably diffuse it on radio for the rest of the City)

99.9% deal breaker. For a few reasons:
1. A lot of us play games as an escape or to destress from reality. Elon, for example, is saturating the news cycle. He's also polarizing. I do NOT need him in my game time even if the song references him in a manner I agree with.

2. The Cyberpunk universe is different from ours. A lot of stuff from IRL 2077 will likely still have MacDonalds. It seems likely that there's no MacDonalds in Cyberpunk. So the question for CDPR may be, does/did X exist in this world?

3. The Cyberpunk world seems to be built with few references to anything specific from RL. Adding more can take away from what is some very good world building. Best to keep any references low key, infrequent, and well considered.

4. The Keanu Reeves meta reference is more an inside joke. So if a reference might tie into the game then could be potentially cool. Like maybe referencing Johnny's Porsche, since that exists in Cyberpunk, idk.

4. The Keanu Reeves meta reference is more an inside joke. So if a reference might tie into the game then could be potentially cool. Like maybe referencing Johnny's Porsche, since that exists in Cyberpunk, idk.
I actually like that song a lot but I have a theory they were invited to produce a soundtrack song, differently from the other radio songs, but was too good not to put in the game and only use for promotion.

I actually like that song a lot but I have a theory they were invited to produce a soundtrack song, differently from the other radio songs, but was too good not to put in the game and only use for promotion.
Interesting and might be true :)
Is there any other radio song which also have an official video clip ?
(I mean, a clip at the same level, not just a game montage)

Deal breakee here, too.
Unless you swing that lyric in a way so it's hard to even understand (if it HAS to be there for some reason), then I guess my foreign language detector will ignore it. I often hear lyrics the wrong way anyway. :D Just don't post the lyrics.

Deal breaker, no. I lose Immersion each time Keanu Reaves materializes in V's mind, and the numerous youtubers and twtich streamers running around night city. Not to mention we're going to have Idris Elba in the game as well. Immersion has been broken since day 1 as far as I'm concerned. A song with real world references will do little to kill it further.

Top Bottom