Should silver units be able to be taken in the leader spot?

+
Should silver units be able to be taken in the leader spot?

The recent boo boo with Vreemde reminded me of the commander format in Magic where a commander is chosen from any legendary creature in the game. What do people think about the idea of being able to take any silver unit in place of a leader?

It would effectively enable a 7th silver slot as well as a reliable play that doesn't rely on being drawn and isn't subject to reveal effects. The silver cards aren't as powerful as a dedicated leader but may lead to some interesting deck builds.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, but why replace the leader with only a silver card? I think that replacing it with a gold card still wouldn't be too powerful.

#Vote Shupe for president (neutral) leader!

4RM3D;n10215752 said:
Interesting idea, but why replace the leader with only a silver card? I think that replacing it with a gold card still wouldn't be too powerful.

It'd mean you'd reliably hit a potential combo piece at the cost of having it revealed to your opponent at game start. I'm not sure exactly where the balance point for leaders lies. Foltest and Henselt are definitely gold level. A number of the monster leaders aren't quite so powerful IMHO so I erred on the lower power level. That said, the golds are more likely to be leading warbands than the silvers

hydra66;n10216202 said:
A number of the monster leaders aren't quite so powerful

Because not all archetypes have good supporting leaders. It would be awesome to have one of the Golden Crones be a replacement leader. There could also be some restrictions, like the replacement leader cannot be neutral and must be a unit. Anyhow, I don't see any combo that would be broken, yet (as far as I can see now).

Funnily enough, most of the gold crones would be a far more powerful leader - and lead to more archetype creation - than Whispering Hillock, who is a flavourful but so-so leader with a dubious impact on the game. Hell, the one who resurrects deathwish creatures might help get the deathwish archetype actually doing something.

iamthedave;n10217362 said:
Funnily enough, most of the gold crones would be a far more powerful leader - and lead to more archetype creation - than Whispering Hillock, who is a flavourful but so-so leader with a dubious impact on the game. Hell, the one who resurrects deathwish creatures might help get the deathwish archetype actually doing something.

Whispering Hillock is weaker than average, which makes other gold cards more likely to be better. The interesting thing about Brewess: Ritual (i.e. Deathwish) is that she is also used by Nekker Consume. But those players rather have Arachas Queen as leader, while a Rotfiend (something) deck, might actually want Brewess: Ritual. This spices up the dynamics of the game.

I don't know, that's an interesting idea but for those who care about the game making as much sense as possible compared to the lore of the Witcher, the ability to choose any silver for leader would probably cause them a heart attack lol
I'm not the kind of person who whine about that usually but I think the leader system as it is right know is pretty cool and I kinda like leaders that are unic to the rest of the game more than the ability to make a Silver as a leader.

Now, with that being said (and since you're talking about Commander for MTG), that would be an amazing idea for a new game mode where players start with no leader and chose one of their Silver units to take this spot at the beggining of each games. I would totally be pumped for that.

Top Bottom