Should the game have gated it's missions based on lifepath?

+
I've noticed alot of players don't like the fact that life path choices don't seem to have much of a consequence besides a few dialogue lines. I'm wondering, would the game have benefited if the current set of missions had been gated behind lifepath choices. For example, Panam's expanded questline just being available for the Nomad path, Judy's expanded questline requiring street kid, working with Meredith requiring corpo, ect. It would have meant less content to engage in per playthrough, but would have also meant your lifepath would have a greater impact on how your playthrough progressed and encourage multiply playthroughs to see all of the content.

What do you guys think? Would that have been a more appropriate mission structure for the game? Should DLC consider gating content this way in the future? Would you play a mod that altered the mission structure this way?

Yes and no. I would've liked to have seen main quest lines based on each life path, independent of romances. In fact, I feel there should have been a LOT more romanceable characters.

Ugh, imagine the forums if Judy was put behind more stuff, sigh

While i see where you coming from i dont tyink it's the right approach, more life path specific content sure but not romance characters etc being gated there aswell

Yes and no. I would've liked to have seen main quest lines based on each life path, independent of romances. In fact, I feel there should have been a LOT more romanceable characters.

Let's say for the sake of argument they threw in more romancible options that were neutral to the life path. What about then?

Let's say for the sake of argument they threw in more romancible options that were neutral to the life path. What about then?
I don't see why they couldn't add neutral AND path specific romances, but that would also mean a system where your romance is aware if you cheated.

If game had a TON more quests, and the above, all high quality, well writen and some more (and longer) quest chains. Then, yes. As is now, it's just too lacking in any content already.

That's why I ask about a system like this in terms of DLC as well since that would be a good place to start with content like that. I feel like the game may have had a different reception in terms of narrative if it'd tried a structure like that from the start. But it is as it was launched, so they can't really change that now.

I don't see why they couldn't add neutral AND path specific romances, but that would also mean a system where your romance is aware if you cheated.

I suppose, it really depends on if it would make sense for the romances to even know about each other. And an angry call followed by losing a 'base' isn't an amazingly large amount of extra content. I suppose going the extra mile would be creating a Witcher style show up like when you try to romance both Gwent and Ciri.

Rudo_

Forum regular
I think every life path should have its particular side quests beside the ones already in
A nomad arc where you get revenge of snake nation for taking over your family. A corpo arc where you settle your particular score with arasaka. A street kid arc whwere you get to be NC kingping... Ot not particularly those ones, but something else than a few dialogue options.

I would also love that people stop talking about fucking romances 🙄

Icinix

Forum veteran
I think you have to be careful when you lock too much content out from early in game choices. CD Projekt learned that one well with The Witcher 2.

Having more dialogues and options because of those choices within the existing game is great though.

Rudo_

Forum regular
That's why I ask about a system like this in terms of DLC as well since that would be a good place to start with content like that. I feel like the game may have had a different reception in terms of narrative if it'd tried a structure like that from the start. But it is as it was launched, so they can't really change that now.

I suppose, it really depends on if it would make sense for the romances to even know about each other. And an angry call followed by losing a 'base' isn't an amazingly large amount of extra content. I suppose going the extra mile would be creating a Witcher style show up like when you try to romance both Gwent and Ciri.
You mean triss and yenn...
Gwent is a game an ciri is your daughter:disapprove:

I think you have to be careful when you lock too much content out from early in game choices. CD Projekt learned that one well with The Witcher 2.

Having more dialogues and options because of those choices within the existing game is great though.
I get your point, but The Witcher was locked to one life path from the get go. CP2077 touts 3 different lifepaths which would only add to replayability.

You mean triss and yenn...
Gwent is a game an ciri is your daughter:disapprove:

Confession. I've never played Witcher, I just googled it and picked the first two girl names I saw. The blond and the red-head, you know who I'm talking about. :howdy:

I get your point, but The Witcher was locked to one life path from the get go. CP2077 touts 3 different lifepaths which would only add to replayability.

For sure - but I think Dragon Age Origins is a better (if not the best) way to handle it (Larian Divinity series does it really well as well back stories). Giving you a huge chunk of content right at the start - and then options, minor quests, and dialogue throughout the rest of the game. Without ever feeling like you're missing a huge chunk.
Post automatically merged:

Confession. I've never played Witcher, I just googled it and picked the first two girl names I saw. The blond and the red-head, you know who I'm talking about. :howdy:

This just reminded of when my partner first saw promo material for The Witcher 3 (she was unfamiliar with the books) and was like "If Geralt ends up sleeping with Ciri I'm going ballistic at those sickos for matching yet another old bloke with a young girl."

...so now we got Kerry and V.

What options could someone add to make lifepaths seem more impactful though? Most choices in this game are really broad to facilitate every possible playstyle, hack a lock, pay a guy, or drop in through a conveniently open window, ect. I'm not really certain the lifepath choice would be as impactful unless it did remove other content, kind of like in life.

What options could someone add to make lifepaths seem more impactful though? Most choices in this game are really broad to facilitate every possible playstyle, hack a lock, pay a guy, or drop in through a conveniently open window, ect. I'm not really certain the lifepath choice would be as impactful unless it did remove other content, kind of like in life.

We already engage with corporations, the nomads and gangs in the game. There is ample opportunity to pad those out based on your lifepath.

For example - you could already have relationships with people you meet through the story. Giving you other options to end the quest or get different support (smaller scale like the options for the ending). We're not in a spoiler thread so I won't go into specifics (which of course makes it tough to elaborate).

Getting rid of the smaller scale quirks like certain fixers forgetting you know them from the lifepath start would also be nice.

I'm not advocating NO unique content - I'm just not a fan of large mega quest exclusive content - I'd rather see lots of smaller stuff flavour the whole experience.

That already happens.

Try leaving Watson before completing The Heist to explore this "open world" they liked to tout so much in interviews and trailers.

They didn't learn the definition of "open world". That's for sure. They broke every rule of open world play in the prologue alone.

That already happens.

Try leaving Watson before completing The Heist to explore this "open world" they liked to tout so much in interviews and trailers.

They didn't learn the definition of "open world". That's for sure. They broke every rule of open world play in the prologue alone.

Yeah - I spent a solid chunk of my second game trying to escape before starting the heist.

I'm quite the bitter about it.

Gating the entire quest, no. Gating certain pathways, actions or information learned during the course of quests, yes. Unfortunately, given the relative linearity of most quest content I'm not sure it'd be possible to make the LP's function beyond flavor withoutt gating content behind them, as per your suggestion.

I think the worst decision of all time was to make 1/4th of the game unplayable for THE WITCHER 2.

You should play King Hensalt's Camp AND Saskia's.

Why in the world would you gate your gamers from being able to enjoy your game.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah - I spent a solid chunk of my second game trying to escape before starting the heist.

I'm quite the bitter about it.

Well there would be nothing to play outside of Watson because all the games are set post-Johnny.

Top Bottom