Should there be more life paths in cyberpunk 2077?

+
Lumping a lot of things together isn't itself a bad idea, it makes the choices carry a lot more weight by themselves, but in terms of how lifepaths are chosen in 2020 - to give those little details to the character... I kinda hope you guys make the intros such, that you make some of those "superficial" choices within them even if the overall choice was based on those three general "big" options. Kinda like integrating the idea of multichoice lifepath within the intro scenes you've opted to go with.

It might sound like tiny bits no one cares about, to have such small influence things put in play, and that's certainly true if that's all there would be, but in conjunction with offering those big choices, giving the player good amount of influence over the nuances of his/her character, and have it affect at least something (even "superficial", as you put it), makes a big difference in the overall experience.

It's great fun to see these little things play out in unexpected ways, even if that didn't turn the world upside down on the spot. You know. Sometimes less is more is a saying I don't really tend to use, but when the context is right - like here, with the lesser choices for character past - it fits like a glove.

It's about character expression, and it underlines the freedom of gameplay and the players control over his character in ways that's not really achievable through those big choices that you already expect to work in a big way. It really is for the better of the experience.

Just something to consider.

I agree with @kofeiiniturpa, and I believe the related distinction would be between short term and long term choices.

So short term choices would be making certain decisions that can change the tone of the quest, but the general outcome remains the same regardless of these choices or that the quest could end differently but the effects of any of the different endings will not extend to any other part of the game.

On the other hand, long term choices would be the ones that definitely change the outcome of a quest plus making an impact on other part(s) of the game, and probably cause a permanent effect for the rest of the story.

This does not mean that short term choices are less interesting than long term ones or vice versa because it purely depends on the context of the game. Sometimes short term choices could be a lot more meaningful than long term ones. Alternatively, long term choices can create quite interesting turning points throughout the game that adds a great value to the overall story. And no RPG would have one type of choices. Therefore, any RPG would require both short and long term choices.

Last edited:
Hi everyone this is my first threat by now everybody should know by now in cycberpunk 2077they life path you pick will be your starting point in the game and also how npc will react to you because of your background so far there's only been three confirm they are street kid, corpo and nomads I think it's should be two more military and police but what do your think?

The issue with having a Military and Police background undermines what CDPR devs are trying to create with CP2077 and that would be if V (our character) is not meant to be a hero if you will, then those backgrounds won't work with the ark the creators are trying to achieve. Of course, it would be great to have more background choices and not just the 3. Remember that the whole idea is that our character is not an underdog on the path to becoming a big hero of the city. Deckard, for example, is not a great hero who's deeds were sung by many but for someone who fought the system and sorta won. That's the whole idea behind a Cyberpunk story.

Hero is not just someone who save the world, you can be hero for some, and loathed enemy for another, save some family from death and you will be Hero in their eyes or in eyes of people around them, find cure for cancer or other deadly disease and you will be the hero, that are just some examples, i am sure even in Cyberpunk 2077 by the end of the game you more or less will be a Hero in some way.

And V is mercenery so Military and Police background would be nice and ok fite.

You mean, the game is telling me what my avatar think?
Isn't it my role as the player?

You never played a paper RPG have you?
You play through your caracter mind.

A corpo kid who grew up outside of the streets knows not much about how they works, or even the basic social stuff streetkids have for granted.

Why don't you wake up a morning, being all "my life was a lie?" and start doing crazy stuff... That's because you're "you".

A true RP, even in game, puts a lots of effort to build the choices you'll make through who you're playing with.

You choose Streetkid, you'll know stuff a streetkid should, you choose a corp kid, you'll know about how the corporate world operate, but not much about the streets.

Those choices will give a direction and a root to your character (And in Cyberpunk world, it's very important).

Even in our everyday life, we're not always aware of everything, unless we're trained to see them.

That's basicaly how it'll work, you won't be able to make stuff you shouldn't know to begin with.

Being a secretary who grew up in a nice safe place, I doubt your first reflexe would be to grab a gun and going John Woo.

We'd play a cyberpunk pnp, I could let you try, if you want, but given your character (it's not a god, it's a person you choose to play as) but you'd have a lots of maluses (you never used a gun, you never been in such a situation, hence the " cool" stat).

That's how a good RPG works, you have to follow your character lines, otherwise it's just GTA.
You can do everything, but no character development at all.

You wanted to argue? To grab that gun, etc...?
Just put the right skills and choose the lifepath you want to "PLAY AS".

Or else what's the point?
Being fucked over because you made the bad decision (even tho sometimes it looked like the right one) is part of the Cyberpunk's charm.

You play the character but it's his story you're playing, not really your (or just don't put a character editior, no need for it if you're just able to think and do everything...)

You never played a paper RPG have you?
You play through your caracter mind.

I play P&P for more than 20 years now, thanks you, and even if you play through your character mind, you also (in most games at least) are the one who define said character mind.

A corpo kid who grew up outside of the streets knows not much about how they works, or even the basic social stuff streetkids have for granted.

It's not about knowing what will happens, it's about rules that you can have for everything, such as: "My mind is my temple, no one connects to it."
It's actually not something that uncommon in C2020 actually.

By the way, as much as I like Johnny Silverhand, I'll erase him from my system if I get the possibility.

Even in our everyday life, we're not always aware of everything, unless we're trained to see them.

That's what stats and skills are for, not origins.
Origins may be a replacement to a knowledge skill, but how many times in one of you P&P do an NPC suddently does something unexpected and your GM ask you to do an Intelligence/knowledge roll to react to it instead of whatever test about reacting fast ?
Personnaly, none.

Being a secretary who grew up in a nice safe place, I doubt your first reflexe would be to grab a gun and going John Woo.

If you think corpo = secretary, you miss the point.
Besides stopping someone from doing something isn't going john woo.
You have a jack, you know what it does (at least you can, as you can be a netrunner yourself, and besides I realy doubt you add cyberware without knowing what it does. But well, cyberware seems more casual know that V is immune to humanity loss).

We'd play a cyberpunk pnp, I could let you try, if you want, but given your character (it's not a god, it's a person you choose to play as) but you'd have a lots of maluses (you never used a gun, you never been in such a situation, hence the " cool" stat).

Don't define my character sheet in my place, thanks.
Besides, I'm only "going john woo" if they insist.

That's how a good RPG works, you have to follow your character lines, otherwise it's just GTA.
You can do everything, but no character development at all.

You wanted to argue? To grab that gun, etc...?
Just put the right skills and choose the lifepath you want to "PLAY AS".

If you thinks you skills are limited by your role, then you never played Cyberpunk 2020 (and your are also denying existence of minor NPC which use skills outside their roles, such as Johnny silverhand...).

You play the character but it's his story you're playing, not really your (or just don't put a character editior, no need for it if you're just able to think and do everything...)

I'm complaining about a reflex related feat requiring a knowledge roll, because that implies that each time someone suddently does something you doesn't know about you have to stay a sitting duck.
That's not how I see things.

It's a AAA videogame, with predefined stories and arcs.
Your starting choices will define which road you'll take.

You skills aren't limited by your role, but your character is limited by it's skills.
I'm mastering Cyberpunk for more than 2 decades btw.

You know, sometimes, even as a player, you have to forgot some informations simply because your character doesn't have access to them (and yep, then you have to roll a good knowledge roll to make sure he knows about it).

In Vampire Bloodline, depending how you made your character and which clan you used, the whole game played differently, that's how a good RP works, and how you give replay value to it.

Of course the player have some kind of power on it, but ultimately, you needs to have some limitations here and there for the sake of world building (ever played Paranoia? You basically kill a player when he says/do something he shouldn't know).

You mix skills and RP.
A role doesnt limit your skills, but if you play a dude like Case in Neuromancer, you're basically a streetkids, hooked on drugs. The skills and role he has fleshes him out, he's just a random dude, only his skills and origins makes a difference (in the same vein as Vampire, Cyberpunk is a RP driven pnp, combat is lethal and only used as a last resort)

I didn't defined you character sheet at your place dude, I just gaved you an example.
Sure, you can be a media guy, with some skills in combat, but unless you're an ex army veterant or something, why would you be more efficient than a Solo?

Yeah, you can go john woo if you decide too, but in the end you're trapped in your character, you have to stick to something to flesh it out.
A med techie with barely any point in medical skills and everything in gun's one sounds dumb, go make a Solo instead.

That's what I meant by that, you'll alway stumble on a wall, whatever role you choose.

Now it's a pnp, in a videogame, you don't have that much freedom, so they have to push it in a way every choices you made have an impact (or just go play GTA, no limitation).
When you're building a complex and realistic world, you have to put limits.

How do you think a homeless person would be seen in Google's HQ? They'd most likely call the security, even tho if he start screaming "I'm the player! I've the final wooord!" [get tased by police].
Same for a rich kids stepping from the corpo center into the combat zone, he'll most likely ends up in some bad situation, it's not "his ground", you need to force some things on him, just to give a clear contrast and for the sake of world building.

Even in real life, people are able to see who come from a poor vs wealthy place, should work the same in Night City.

Or are you the kind of player that want the world to bend for him? In Cyberpunk 2020, it's clearly said your character is a nobody, you're no better than a bum, a soldier or a secretary, you have to deal with the world, no way you can rush through it (reason why it's so lethal, you think your corpo skills and money will grant you to do everything in the combat zone? You'll have some surprises there... Last time a player (solo ex military) though it was a good idea to aim at people randomly with his automatic shotgun in the combat zone, he basicaly ended up in a body bag.

He sure choose to, he was free, but so did the world around him.

In Cyberpunk, actions = consequences.
You choose to play as this, you choose to do this instead of that? There will be consequences related to your choices, you can't have everything.

You'll going john woo if they insist? Sure, you're free to give it a try, just as you're free to make whatever caracter you'd like.

Now, whenever a combat starts, you'll need a cool roll to make sure your character doesn't shit his pants (no one narutorun through bullets IRL...), if you succeed, you can act, if you don't you'll duck and cover, that's the rules in Cyberpunk (making the fight more realistics and fast paced actually).

My last game, my group ended up against an Eurosolo, cybered to the top, but one of my player luckily shot a critical Ref roll, shot first and emptied his micro-uzi in the Eurosolo's head and he died just like that.

No one is better than anyone in Cyberpunk, just like in real life.
If you plan on fighting against a whole gang, get ready to die most instantly (they're not a bunch of retards eager to get killed, they'll fight back).

That's how you give realism and pressure in a game.
Unless you've a good plan, you better watch yourself, or just go play AD&D.

I don't care you're a Solo, young old, skilled or not, an armored bullet through your brain = instakill.

If you do shits that would get killed IRL, it will work the same in Cyberpunk (since it's real life setting).

You're totally free to go up in a shaddy place and tell a group of drug dealer to fuck off, but if nobody else does it, it's for a reason : they'll kill You.

Now, you're free to give it a try, but it's not because you're a player I'll be kind with you.

Wanna risk your character life for some stupid shits? Up to you.

A friend used to play an executive corporate guy, he basically got filled with stress each time he went in the combat zone.
His cool stats were low and he never hanged in such a creepy lawless place.
His attitude also impacted other players (since you'd be walking around with a dude in suit in the midle, totally freaking out).
In Cyberpunk, stepping out is often a death sentence or a way to be noticed by people in best case.

I wouldn't force it on people.
Now, you choose to play a character, you choose where he come from, what he's good at, what he's bad at, you'll have to roll with it in the said world.

Being a corpo in the combatzone, people will hate you, don't try your luck, and vice versa for a streetkid in the middle of the corporate zone, don't have the corpocops notice you. They'll bully you.

You can be a streetsamurai, working for arasaka, having a nice suit and all, doesn't matter, talk shit to a gang member and you'll have a dozen guns aimed at your face.
It's not Deus Ex, if you have access to something, everybody has, so there will most likely have people as talented as you and often more.

Even a lucky orphan kid could kill you with a.lucky roll, don't test your luck.

Players have no power in this world. Roll with the choices you made, and they include your lifepath, the roles and skills you choose.
They'll all have a certain impact ingame.
It's not GTA.

I'll let you choose to play it john woo if you want, but you'll be limited to your character's ability, and if he sucks at figthing, you'll just die. Your choice, not mine.
I'm just playing the world around in a fair way.

I've already killed a player because he went back to his place and didn't checked for traps, but there was one, so heh... Sorry but you're dead.

Welcome to Night City
That's basicaly what made it interesting IMO cause you can basically build tension easily and forces you in your character shoes, you don't want to die for a mistake.

In pnp such as Call of Cthulhu or other, you don't give much shits, here you have to press the world on them, make them paranoid, it's not a nice world, you have to make them feel it. Including with things as "you dont belong here, watch your steps".

Or just go in a very poor place at 4AM IRL and check how long it takes for a crackhead to try to rob you, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
You skills aren't limited by your role, but your character is limited by it's skills.

I would not have any problems if it was a skill check. But it's not.
As I said it before:
"I'm complaining about a reflex related feat requiring a knowledge roll, because that implies that each time someone suddently does something you doesn't know about you have to stay a sitting duck.
That's not how I see things. "

You know, sometimes, even as a player, you have to forgot some informations simply because your character doesn't have access to them (and yep, then you have to roll a good knowledge roll to make sure he knows about it).

I know, we does that too.
But asking someone to forget, even more if he's a netrunner, what his jack is for is a bit too much.

In Vampire Bloodline, depending how you made your character and which clan you used, the whole game played differently, that's how a good RP works, and how you give replay value to it.

Of course the player have some kind of power on it, but ultimately, you needs to have some limitations here and there for the sake of world building (ever played Paranoia? You basically kill a player when he says/do something he shouldn't know).

It's not a problem as long as you stay logic.
Do V need to be a street kid to know what is happening to him? Maybe.
Do V need to be a street kid to have high reflex to react to someone suddently trying to do something unknow to him? Hell no!

You mix skills and RP.
A role doesnt limit your skills, but if you play a dude like Case in Neuromancer, you're basically a streetkids, hooked on drugs. The skills and role he has fleshes him out, he's just a random dude, only his skills and origins makes a difference (in the same vein as Vampire, Cyberpunk is a RP driven pnp, combat is lethal and only used as a last resort)

I didn't defined you character sheet at your place dude, I just gaved you an example.
Sure, you can be a media guy, with some skills in combat, but unless you're an ex army veterant or something, why would you be more efficient than a Solo?

Yeah, you can go john woo if you decide too, but in the end you're trapped in your character, you have to stick to something to flesh it out.
A med techie with barely any point in medical skills and everything in gun's one sounds dumb, go make a Solo instead.

That's what I meant by that, you'll alway stumble on a wall, whatever role you choose.

Now it's a pnp, in a videogame, you don't have that much freedom, so they have to push it in a way every choices you made have an impact (or just go play GTA, no limitation).
When you're building a complex and realistic world, you have to put limits.

You miss the point:
"It's not a problem as long as you stay logic.
Do V need to be a street kid to know what is happening to him? Maybe.
Do V need to be a street kid to have high reflex to react to someone suddently trying to do something unknow to him? Hell no!"

Or are you the kind of player that want the world to bend for him? In Cyberpunk 2020, it's clearly said your character is a nobody, you're no better than a bum, a soldier or a secretary, you have to deal with the world, no way you can rush through it (reason why it's so lethal, you think your corpo skills and money will grant you to do everything in the combat zone? You'll have some surprises there... Last time a player (solo ex military) though it was a good idea to aim at people randomly with his automatic shotgun in the combat zone, he basicaly ended up in a body bag.

He sure choose to, he was free, but so did the world around him.

I'm actually on the other boat: I ironically calls V "superman", because I think V is way too strong (remember that poor corpo V is still about to nuke a whole boostergang all by himself at the moment which bugs me...), because V is immune to humanity loss, and I'm sure I'll find other things when the game will go out.

In Cyberpunk, actions = consequences.
You choose to play as this, you choose to do this instead of that? There will be consequences related to your choices, you can't have everything.

You'll going john woo if they insist? Sure, you're free to give it a try, just as you're free to make whatever caracter you'd like.

Now, whenever a combat starts, you'll need a cool roll to make sure your character doesn't shit his pants (no one narutorun through bullets IRL...), if you succeed, you can act, if you don't you'll duck and cover, that's the rules in Cyberpunk (making the fight more realistics and fast paced actually).

My last game, my group ended up against an Eurosolo, cybered to the top, but one of my player luckily shot a critical Ref roll, shot first and emptied his micro-uzi in the Eurosolo's head and he died just like that.

No one is better than anyone in Cyberpunk, just like in real life.
If you plan on fighting against a whole gang, get ready to die most instantly (they're not a bunch of retards eager to get killed, they'll fight back).

That's how you give realism and pressure in a game.
Unless you've a good plan, you better watch yourself, or just go play AD&D.

I don't care you're a Solo, young old, skilled or not, an armored bullet through your brain = instakill.

If you do shits that would get killed IRL, it will work the same in Cyberpunk (since it's real life setting).

You're totally free to go up in a shaddy place and tell a group of drug dealer to fuck off, but if nobody else does it, it's for a reason : they'll kill You.

Now, you're free to give it a try, but it's not because you're a player I'll be kind with you.

Wanna risk your character life for some stupid shits? Up to you.

A friend used to play an executive corporate guy, he basically got filled with stress each time he went in the combat zone.
His cool stats were low and he never hanged in such a creepy lawless place.
His attitude also impacted other players (since you'd be walking around with a dude in suit in the midle, totally freaking out).
In Cyberpunk, stepping out is often a death sentence or a way to be noticed by people in best case.

I wouldn't force it on people.
Now, you choose to play a character, you choose where he come from, what he's good at, what he's bad at, you'll have to roll with it in the said world.

Being a corpo in the combatzone, people will hate you, don't try your luck, and vice versa for a streetkid in the middle of the corporate zone, don't have the corpocops notice you. They'll bully you.

You can be a streetsamurai, working for arasaka, having a nice suit and all, doesn't matter, talk shit to a gang member and you'll have a dozen guns aimed at your face.
It's not Deus Ex, if you have access to something, everybody has, so there will most likely have people as talented as you and often more.

Even a lucky orphan kid could kill you with a.lucky roll, don't test your luck.

Players have no power in this world. Roll with the choices you made, and they include your lifepath, the roles and skills you choose.
They'll all have a certain impact ingame.
It's not GTA.

I'll let you choose to play it john woo if you want, but you'll be limited to your character's ability, and if he sucks at figthing, you'll just die. Your choice, not mine.
I'm just playing the world around in a fair way.

I've already killed a player because he went back to his place and didn't checked for traps, but there was one, so heh... Sorry but you're dead.

Welcome to Night City
That's basicaly what made it interesting IMO cause you can basically build tension easily and forces you in your character shoes, you don't want to die for a mistake.

In pnp such as Call of Cthulhu or other, you don't give much shits, here you have to press the world on them, make them paranoid, it's not a nice world, you have to make them feel it. Including with things as "you dont belong here, watch your steps".

Or just go in a very poor place at 4AM IRL and check how long it takes for a crackhead to try to rob you, you'll see what I mean.

You are going way overboard about the problem which bug me: you don't lock a "react to something fast" behind a knowledge roll.
That's out out logic.

Street kid with stephen hawkings stats can react to a swift move, but not corpo with 10 REF?
No way.

Top Bottom