Should there be more life paths in cyberpunk 2077?

+
We basically made a choice between offering many more or less superficial options, or to choose three that we can actually make interesting and meaningful. Your lifepath won't just decide how you start the game and what your background is, but it can also influence the rest of the game however you choose - but that does not mean that choosing a lifepath forces you into any way of playing the game.
Do you want to play a street kid who grew up in the city surrounded by gangs that then chooses to betray her heritage and work with the corpos? Go ahead, and the game will react to it. :)

So I hope this will be really exciting in terms of roleplaying. We're working hard to make it as cool as possible!

Could you please, if it isn't too complicated, explain how playing a street kid can be a requirement to refuse to have someone jacking into your mind/system?

Cause I was thinking about playing a corpo (as normally they're my second favorite role after rockerboy), then learned it will mean won't be able to refuse such thing, and it worries me a lot.

Adapting a tabletop game into a videogame seems to be without a doubt quite a massive and complex job with its big pros and big cons, especially if it’s a RPG as intricate as Cyberpunk. On the one hand, mechanics/modes/features like lifepaths can help make the videogame play a bit closer like the tabletop but, on the other, they sound like something that a RPG videogame can already handle by default through mechanics like everyday player choices—especially those that involve the playable character’s past, their attitude to life and to other people—and the PC’s skills, without the need of adding another layer of gameplay complexity to an already quite-layered type of videogame.

That being said, I reeeally like what I’ve read so far about lifepaths in CP2077 :ok: If I were to improve them, however, I’d add just two more: lawman/woman and rockerboy/girl. My reasons? Just one: simply because, as backgrounds, they could be as potentially rich as the current three... at the risk of "overcrowding" the current options, though.

Regardless, I’m satisfied with the three the videogame currently has. I’m eager to try the nomad lifepath first.

Do you want to play a street kid who grew up in the city surrounded by gangs that then chooses to betray her heritage and work with the corpos? Go ahead, and the game will react to it. :)

So I hope this will be really exciting in terms of roleplaying.
YES! That's what I wanted to hear! :love:
Exactly what I plan to do: I want to be a cinic and greedy son of a bitch in a videogame for once and I know you guys are so good at writing that the game won't try to give me an unfair bad time opposed to the hero-path.

Please do try to make in-game rewards/drawbacks balanced for the different choices (in the long run) as well, almost every time you get better stuff if you play as the good guy. :)

Could you please, if it isn't too complicated, explain how playing a street kid can be a requirement to refuse to have someone jacking into your mind/system?

Cause I was thinking about playing a corpo (as normally they're my second favorite role after rockerboy), then learned it will mean won't be able to refuse such thing, and it worries me a lot.

As a street kid, you most likely grew up around gangs and by so, can figure that for some casual job, having the boss slipping himself in your head isn't mandatory. Heck, if he's not good with you, he have enought goons to send there instead of you, so it's basicaly that he's in a paranoid/dominant stance, that it doesn't feels good at all, and you know cyberpsychosis isn't far away.

Now, being a nameless random, you'll probably think it's all "about security measure".

I or we, rather, appreciate the official reply.

It might be (too) early to ask but maybe you already have a clear stance on this:

With DLCs on the horizon do you plan to add more backgrounds or lifepaths (cop, etc)? While this may be hard or not as feasible to implement into the game retroactively (who knows though?) perhaps additional lifepaths could work for DLCs where you play either V or a new protagonist in a more isolated World Space thus making the introduction of the lifepaths more feasible for a particular DLC worldspace or area.

We basically made a choice between offering many more or less superficial options, or to choose three that we can actually make interesting and meaningful. Your lifepath won't just decide how you start the game and what your background is, but it can also influence the rest of the game however you choose - but that does not mean that choosing a lifepath forces you into any way of playing the game.

So I hope this will be really exciting in terms of roleplaying. We're working hard to make it as cool as possible!

April can't come soon enough!

I think its about who is doing it. As a sreet kid, V knows about the voodoo boys' tendancies and that they would be likely to try to jack into her. This knowledge allows her to be prepare, anticipate the act, and respond in the moment when it happens.

I or we, rather, appreciate the official reply.

It might be (too) early to ask but maybe you already have a clear stance on this:

With DLCs on the horizon do you plan to add more backgrounds or lifepaths (cop, etc)? While this may be hard or not as feasible to implement into the game retroactively (who knows though?) perhaps additional lifepaths could work for DLCs where you play either V or a new protagonist in a more isolated World Space thus making the introduction of the lifepaths more feasible for a particular DLC worldspace or area.
I would prefer cops over corpos

Hey Phil, see -- this is how such decisions, such changes in direction should be communicated: with context.

I fully appreciate and understand that you devs personally can't always take to the forums or Social Media, every time there is a such a change, but how about this idea?
  • When such changes happen, keep them quiet until you can brief your Community Guys/Social Media Guys about it with context such as this
  • Then, once that is completed, announce the change immediately connected with this context, allowing everyone to understand the decision much better
  • Thus, even if someone didn't agree with the decision, they'd still see why you felt it necessary, and more importantly, that CDPR didn't just "cut content" or "for no reason"
  • More transparency, more information, way better communication than what we gamers usually get, and hopefully also a lot less backlash.. everybody wins?
Call it a quest, brave Sir Dev! :ok:

I think its about who is doing it. As a sreet kid, V knows about the voodoo boys' tendancies and that they would be likely to try to jack into her. This knowledge allows her to be prepare, anticipate the act, and respond in the moment when it happens.

And you can't react to something without knowing before?
Besides I was just thinking: if it's that easy to be hacked because of the jack, why isn't anyone using an high tech cyberred version of a jack protector cap?
Post automatically merged:

Now, being a nameless random, you'll probably think it's all "about security measure".

You mean, the game is telling me what my avatar think?
Isn't it my role as the player?

Last edited:
And you can't react to something without knowing before?
Besides I was just thinking: if it's that easy to be hacked because of the jack, why isn't anyone using an high tech cyberred version of a jack protector cap?
You can be better prepared to react if you expect it. Sometimes you get caught flat footed. That's the point.

The only thing I can think of is the street kid has a different mindset from growing up in a different environment. They're probably innately more apprehensive toward unknowns based upon growing up in that environment. Unknowns includes people.

I am split between liking and softly :coolstory: dis-liking the fact that we should only have the choice of three lifepaths. There are at least 10 roles in Cyberpunk 2020 and even though we will be able to influence the role we will become in the game, I feel like 3 initial roles out of potential 10+ with certain start skills or attributes COULD be too few? But, maybe it just comes down to three initial "Core Skills" like Hacking, Combat and Persuasion (?) and from there on we are free to pave our way through the skill system.

I am undecided about this topic, because of the lack of detailed information about the three lifepaths / roles, their starting abilities / stats versus the later choosable possibilities via perks and skills, which makes it hard for me to assess the negative and positive side of this design choice.
On the positive side I have unbroken trust in CDPR and their choices so I believe it will turn out well, even if I believe freedom of choice at the beginning would be nice. Just my two Euro Dollars... :howdy:

Last edited:
Opportunity cost.

I'd rather have 3 solid lifepaths that are fleshed out and integrated proparly to the story, than 5-6 of them which has a weaker impact. TBH I think CDPR did the right choice here. I mean, do I want more lifepaths? Of course. But not at the expense of the potential of the existing ones.

Guest 4211861

We basically made a choice between offering many more or less superficial options, or to choose three that we can actually make interesting and meaningful.

Yeah, that Rockerboy option would have been terrible to play.

Long bus rides to the next gig strumming guitars and hanging out, powering through the tracks on stage, cocaine and champagne and groupies after the concert - who has the time for all that? Psht.

EDIT: Could be a sidequest :think:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly with the 3 they added they covered really the 3 extremes that could conceivably happen. any others would overlap with one or other of the main 3 enough that it really wouldnt be worth the extra work ot would add that would be better spent on cleaning up the game and focusing on making the game as bug free as possible at launch

Lumping a lot of things together isn't itself a bad idea, it makes the choices carry a lot more weight by themselves, but in terms of how lifepaths are chosen in 2020 - to give those little details to the character... I kinda hope you guys make the intros such, that you make some of those "superficial" choices within them even if the overall choice was based on those three general "big" options. Kinda like integrating the idea of multichoice lifepath within the intro scenes you've opted to go with.

It might sound like tiny bits no one cares about, to have such small influence things put in play, and that's certainly true if that's all there would be, but in conjunction with offering those big choices, giving the player good amount of influence over the nuances of his/her character, and have it affect at least something (even "superficial", as you put it), makes a big difference in the overall experience.

It's great fun to see these little things play out in unexpected ways, even if that didn't turn the world upside down on the spot. You know. Sometimes less is more is a saying I don't really tend to use, but when the context is right - like here, with the lesser choices for character past - it fits like a glove.

It's about character expression, and it underlines the freedom of gameplay and the players control over his character in ways that's not really achievable through those big choices that you already expect to work in a big way. It really is for the better of the experience.

Just something to consider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom