Should there be more life paths in cyberpunk 2077?

+
Hi everyone this is my first threat by now everybody should know by now in cycberpunk 2077they life path you pick will be your starting point in the game and also how npc will react to you because of your background so far there's only been three confirm they are street kid, corpo and nomads I think it's should be two more military and police but what do your think?

Hi everyone this is my first threat by now everybody should know by now in cycberpunk 2077they life path you pick will be your starting point in the game and also how npc will react to you because of your background so far there's only been three confirm they are street kid, corpo and nomads I think it's should be two more military and police but what do your think?

Military is actually a bit out of place in C2020, as it's mainly either corpo or solo.

There would be a lot of work with it I think, because of how they are implementing those choices and how much will they affect the world.

In Skyrim mod for example (Live Another Life) it's easy. Character isn't talking, it affects... couple of conversations and the rest is same for every other choice of life you take. And there are lot of choices.

I thought that CDPR could add some other choices in CC (character creator) that would impact just stats but just for the sake of roleplaying. Like "You are boxing fan so you caught something from TV - Unarmed +1"

It would be great to have a more than 3 "classes" that would impact the world, but I think it's alright. It's like "Rich, poor, in between" but I guess it depends on the view angle.

Its kinda odd theres only, maybe Mike is trying to tell something, its his world anyway. Hmm, maybe most of the roles goes under those 3, go figure.

I'm fine with the given three major choices that lump a lot of stuff in one choice (or so I'm led assume), but I had hoped there'd be a batch of more nuanced chocies of lesser impact on top of the big three, that would've further added to the uniqueness of the character and increased the ways s/he can react with the world (and how the world reacts to him/her).

If the backstories end up being minor details that don't change the game all that much, I'll end up saying there should've been more. But if these are big factors that make each character a completely different experience, three is plenty and I'll want to play each one through.

I think it will be something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age origin, just in Dragon Age origin you even had 30 min different start before main game.

I'm fine with just the three just three so long as their are still some unique quest-lines associated with each.

"Military" might seem less relatable or out of place compared to other roles or styles.

Call me biased but a police background would seem more viable to me and something you can tie in better than soldier (of the free state of North California).

I mean the urban environment and factions present make a cop background more viable than a military one. Assuming you mean the official military. If you refer to corporate sec forces I think the corpo background would cover this already.

We'll have to wait for Red to come out to really say for sure (since we don't currently really know what's transpired over the last 50 years), but in my opinion those 3 should actually cover the vast majority of people in the society. Going off of 2020's info, most of the governmental agencies and bodies have collapsed and/or have been privatized for various reasons, including the House of Representatives. At that point there are still senators (though many are corpos), as well as judiciary/executive branches, & the military. That said, these people represent a tiny fraction of the population who largely have very demanding lives in very specific areas that aren't Night City, so it is unlikely that V would be one of them. Furthermore, California is a Free State so it has even less governmental involvement than most of the US which reduces the likelihood of V having been one. Lastly, in this context these 3 options seem to refer to V's upbringing, and account for the "haves", "have-nots", and the "don't-give-a-damns", of those the civil servants will mostly come from the "haves" while military are largely led by "haves" officers and exploited "have-nots" for the rank-and-file, so even they will largely come from one of those 3 backgrounds.

TLDR: Yeah Civil Servants and Military Personnel existed in 2020, I could see an argument for including them as Life Paths in that time period, but even then they were a tiny fraction of the population & were probably corpos/street kids growing up themselves. After 50+ years and the currently unknown paradigm shift that is "Red" there could be even less reason to have those as choices.

As long as they are impactful, I'm OK with three.

I'm sad they got rid of the "Reason for coming to Night City" choice, though. The whole Ex-lover in town thing sounded awesome. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the "prologue areas" for each lifepath impact the game, if at all. Maybe some of these other lifepath choices will be simulated through the prologue.

I'm looking forward to Red coming out and seeing how the Lifepath is redone/updated. And if it is I'd imagine some of that content will likely be in 2077

Hmm. I think the obvious choices would be cop and media.

In the original Cyberpunk 2020 PnP, the roles were;
Of those, we already have Solo, Netrunner and Techie as classes V can spec into. Corporate, Nomad and something resembling Fixer (criminal) is are already available as backgrounds.

Rockerboy is a bit difficult, as we have Johnny Silverhand accompanying us in the game and it is a class that is very focuses on talking, something CDPR has said will not make an appearance as a skill of its own.

That leaves Media and Cop, both of which could be interesting. Cop is pretty straight forward - you used to be a cop and got kicked out due to either legitimate reasons or backstabbery. It would open up having some unique interactions with members of police that you may have served with and the reason for getting kicked out could serve as a jumping point for some payback.

Media is more difficult, as it i was also a role that relied a great deal on talking. But perhaps the background could be more along the lines of fringe, in the trenches camera man than full on-air celebrity. It would be a far more public background than the others, with the possibility of any number of people knowing your name and possibly holding grudges against you.

Depends. If adding more requires a compromise between options and depth to those options, then the answer is no. Otherwise, sure, as long as it serves a purpose other than "fluff".

Hmm. I think the obvious choices would be cop and media.

In the original Cyberpunk 2020 PnP, the roles were;
Of those, we already have Solo, Netrunner and Techie as classes V can spec into. Corporate, Nomad and something resembling Fixer (criminal) is are already available as backgrounds.

Rockerboy is a bit difficult, as we have Johnny Silverhand accompanying us in the game and it is a class that is very focuses on talking, something CDPR has said will not make an appearance as a skill of its own.

That leaves Media and Cop, both of which could be interesting. Cop is pretty straight forward - you used to be a cop and got kicked out due to either legitimate reasons or backstabbery. It would open up having some unique interactions with members of police that you may have served with and the reason for getting kicked out could serve as a jumping point for some payback.

Media is more difficult, as it i was also a role that relied a great deal on talking. But perhaps the background could be more along the lines of fringe, in the trenches camera man than full on-air celebrity. It would be a far more public background than the others, with the possibility of any number of people knowing your name and possibly holding grudges against you.
Thank you for your reply bro let's hope CD red like this input as well 👍

Personally I would argue against the inclusion of life paths altogether, I get that they are an important part of the tabletop game but then you don't really get the luxury of being able to tailor these life paths to suit your character or have a GM that will react to the specific story beats of your character in a CRPG. In a CRPG they only really serve to pigeonhole your character into a very specific background that the player may or may not particularly care for.

Personally I would argue that unless the background of the PC is vital to the story being told it is usually best to leave these details as vague as possible, let the player define their character through their actions in the game rather than through limited backstory options that happen before the game even begins.

But if they are going to add life paths to the game I would not object to more options, I guess it really depends on how they are implemented, whether they have a big impact on the options your character has available to them or if they just add optional fluff dialogue like Mass Effect.

We basically made a choice between offering many more or less superficial options, or to choose three that we can actually make interesting and meaningful. Your lifepath won't just decide how you start the game and what your background is, but it can also influence the rest of the game however you choose - but that does not mean that choosing a lifepath forces you into any way of playing the game.
Do you want to play a street kid who grew up in the city surrounded by gangs that then chooses to betray her heritage and work with the corpos? Go ahead, and the game will react to it. :)

So I hope this will be really exciting in terms of roleplaying. We're working hard to make it as cool as possible!

We basically made a choice between offering many more or less superficial options, or to choose three that we can actually make interesting and meaningful. Your lifepath won't just decide how you start the game and what your background is, but it can also influence the rest of the game however you choose - but that does not mean that choosing a lifepath forces you into any way of playing the game.
Do you want to play a street kid who grew up in the city surrounded by gangs that then chooses to betray her heritage and work with the corpos? Go ahead, and the game will react to it. :)

So I hope this will be really exciting in terms of roleplaying. We're working hard to make it as cool as possible!

Awesome! Appreciate the official response. This is about what I figured: quality over quantity.

Disappointment is inevitable, especially when some of us have managed to fool ourselves into thinking you can have both quality and quantity (I know, I know, as a game designer, that idea would probably make you fall out of your chair laughing). But CDPR's reasoning is sound here.

Damn that’s sounds sweet but i still hope we can do a bit of detective work too(like in the witcher) even if we can’t pick a cop path at the start 😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom