Should those 8 provision special card tutors being reworked? // My first suggestion

+

Should those 8 provision special card tutors being reworked?

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
All those 8 provision card special card tutors are used heavily in the game. I consider it to be especially problematic if they tutor into high provision special echo cards (e.g Vabjorn into Blood Eagle, John Nathalis into Amphibious Assault)

Therefore, I prepared a small rework. The basic idea is that each of these tutors do have a tutoring provision cap. This can be increased/ignored if specific conditions are there. In order to compensate there will be positive effect if you tutor low provision cards.

Fauve

Deploy (Melee): Play a Nature card from your deck. Gain vitality for each provision cost below 7. Gain bleeding for each provision cost above 7.
If this unit dies because of bleeding, damage adjacent units by 2
Reasoning: Fauve´s main nerf is her Melee lock. So there are less synergies with Gezras in Symbiosis. She has an upside of at max. + 3 value via vitality. If she tutors expensive cards not in the late round her bleeding deathwish is an additional threat.

Ferko the Sculptor

Deploy (Melee): Play a Crime from your deck with provision cost of 7 or less. Gain 1 coin for each provision below 7. You can play crimes with provision costs above the limit by paying the difference in coins
Reasoning: SY loves to play a round with their coins. If you tutor cheap units he can be used as an additionally profit unit. If you want to play the Novigradian Justice combo you need an additional of 3 coins.

Ermion

Deploy (Ranged): Play an Alchemy card from your deck with provision cost of 6 or less. Increase the limit by 1 for each damaged unit. Heal 1 unit by 1 for each provision cost below 6.
Reasoning: Most relevant alchemy cards are in the range of the 6 provision limits. If you tutor cheap units you can benefit from additional healing synergies. The biggest nerf might be Ermion into Sigrdifa´s Rite as you need 3 damaged units for that.

Ge'els

Deploy (Ranged): Play a Wild Hunt special card from your deck with provision costs of 7 or less. Increase the limit by 1 for each duration of frost. Spawn frost in both opponent rows if the provision cost is below 7.
Reasoning: This will be a signifcant buff for Red Riders as it creates weather for 6 turns if tutored (as much as Ard Gaeth). Tutoring Imlerith Wrat requires 1 frost and Ard Gaeth and Naglfar tutor even 2 frosts.

John Natalis

Deploy (Melee): Play a Warfare card from your deck with provision cost of 6 or less. If you control 3 or more soldiers you may play any warfare card from your deck. Boost one random allied solider for each provision cost below 6.
Reasoning: The strong combo into Amphibious Assault requires much set up now. In compensation there are up to 2 random boosts which synergizes with various NR strategies

Menno Coehoorn

Deploy (Ranged): Play a Tactic card from your deck with provision costs of 6 or less. If the number of special cards in your hand exceeds or is equal to the number of units in your hand you may play any tactic card. Boost self by 2 for each provision cost below 6.
Adrenaline 1: Boost self by 3 for each provision cost below 6 instead.
Reasoning: Menno is used very often as a tutor for Coup de Grace. Now he only works for tutoring high provision tactic cards if you have a more or less tactic card or if you use him as your last card. As a compensation he can be a 8 for 8 plus 4 provision tactic card from deck which might be a valuable alternative use case.

Vabjorn

Deploy (Melee): Play a Raid card from your deck with provision costs of 6 or less. If you control 3 or more warriors you play any raid card instead. Deal 1 random damage ignoring armor for each provision cost below 6.
Reasoning: The strong combo into Blood Eagle requires much set up now. In compensation the up to 2 random damages also synergies with various SK strategies

Whispess: Tribute

Deploy (Ranged): Play an Organic card from your deck with provision costs of 6 or less. Increase the limit by 1 for each difference in the amount of controlled units of you and your opponent. Spawn one drone in a random allied row for each provision cost below 6.
Reasoning: Playing into Crimson Curse, Manticore Venom or Whispering Hillock requires either luck or a swarm/Kelly strategy. For low provision cards she has some support for Archas Swarm but also the danger of overflooding your board.

I don't necessarily know about your rework (it's a bit convoluted), but almost anything is better than the boring copy and paste design that is currently in place.

Specifically regarding the balance of your rework, Menno Coehoorn is probably too strong. First, lose the Adrenaline 1. Second, even without the Adrenaline, playing a Battle Preparation would make him a 12 for 8 pointslam card requiring no setup. I would have him boost adjacent units by 1 (also more flavorful since he's a general and not really a soldier himself), so that he could still be a 10 for 8 but only with some preparation. I would also probably make Ermion heal adjacent units by 1 for each for each provision cost below 6. Healing is harder due to the need for damaged units, so I would prefer a higher ceiling; in addition, the healing needs to be automatic (i.e. not selected by the player).

Thanks for your feedback.
The basic idea of my tutor is making tutoring high provision card more difficult.

Regarding Menno:
Probably it made be better to have the normal boost of 1 and the adrenaline boost of 2. So Menno into Battle Preparation might be at max a 12 for 8 (2 body + 6 battle prepation + 2 Adrenaline boost).

Regarding Ermion:
Maybe Heal 2 units by 1 might be reasonable. Taking only adjacent units into account makes it more difficult

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, the concept is cool, to basically make these tutors like amphibious assault, where you get a bonus if you go for a lower provision card, but with an added layer of a setback if you go for an higher provision than the limit.

However, this setback isnt good, because high provision cost card are usually worth way more - imagine if NR's Amphibious Assault could tutor any card, but above 9 it would do -1dmg to it, players would still use it to get their queen adalias, anseis, draugs, etc.

More importantly, and this goes to all of your suggestions @Markus_Wirth (i've seen many, but commented on only a few), these are very complicated, and the devs usually shy away from cards with so much text and hard to understand for beginners. I know there's a few exceptions, cards with tons of text, like Master Mirror, but the core design of the game is more focused on simplicity.

Top Bottom