Should we have the choice to break-up with Triss/Yen and romance Yen/Triss?

+

• Yes

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters

vladgiurgiubv

Because I did all the quests in the order they came, I met Triss first and she seamed like a nice girl so I said I loved her. (At the end of "Now or never")
Then (after I did a lot of quests and a lot of hours) I got to skellige and met Yennefer and now I regret romancing Triss Merigold. How can I break up with her and tell Yennefer I love her, because she seems a more interesting character to me.
Please CDPR, help me somehow! (i can send you the save and maybe you could correct that variable in the save....or maybe there is a way I could break up with Triss....)
:( very sad now because I can't go back....I feel like the whole experience is ruined for me now :(

Last edited:
Unless you have a save, you actually can't change that. Wait till your next run, at least to see different ending slides.

Or just complete the game with your current choice. It is not like it actually makes much difference in the game (other than you are shown a different picture at the end, and a few conversations are changed), and you will have more reasons to play the game again.

Because I did all the quests in the order they came, I met Triss first and she seamed like a nice girl so I said I loved her. (At the end of "Now or never")
Then (after I did a lot of quests and a lot of hours) I got to skellige and met Yennefer and now I regret romancing Triss Merigold. How can I break up with her and tell Yennefer I love her, because she seems a more interesting character to me.
Please CDPR, help me somehow! (i can send you the save and maybe you could correct that variable in the save....or maybe there is a way I could break up with Triss....)
:( very sad now because I can't go back....I feel like the whole experience is ruined for me now :(

Thank you very much!

If you are on PC you can run the commands which FarrySquall mentioned. Unfortunately many people had the same ruined experience with the early romance lock with Triss :(

vladgiurgiubv

1. I play on PS4 (though thanks for the infos on PC)

2. I don't really care about the sex scenes, but about the conversations and so on...
I think I will go with both so that I get to stay alone

3. This romance thing is very poorly written. CDPR said they want to make a mature and realistic game...well some choices can be undone in real life (e.g romance choices)
This thing: "You said I love you to one and had sex with her, that means you are forever and ever bound" (as if you didn't have sex with a lot of other girls, including
Keira Metz
)... this is proof that it's poorly written and that the game was written by a lot of individuals with different literary talent. For the sake of linearity and simplicity they choose to do this. (I so hate that in some aspects the game is exquisite and in some it's so bad that it ruins the whole experience... I think this game should have been backed another year or two before release)
(why whoul anyone stick with Triss forever if you barely know her, and you are bound by fate to Yen....Triss is an episodic character....I simply made the wrong choice because I thought I read somewere that the romance with Yen is not really interesting...but actually the article/forum said exactly the oposite....plus she seamed a nice girl....but come on...Yen is much more interesting (for me)....she was bitchy in Vizima and I thought she was like that every time...but then I got to skellige)

4. The SOLUTION: simple: In the conversation with Yen where you can say "I love you" add these conversation options: 1."I love you (and break up with Triss)". 2. "I love you (but I love Triss too)." 3. "The magic is gone (I only love Triss)" (the same in the conversation with triss)...it is that simple....and boom ...romance part of the game doesn't feel so childish.

(if the break-up with triss is so easily done on PC...it's very simple to implement this in a hotfix...I don't think changing this would take more than a day of work)

(5. I always have strong feelings when it comes to half-good literature which could be great)

(6. Another sidenote: usually the long pieces of literature get more appreciation from the critics...and I guess the same happend with Witcher 3...it's the longest game I know...but far from the best written, or best programmed...I played a short game a while ago which made more sense and was far better written (also with branching story)...it was a 2D platformer called "Loved"....so QUANTITY =/= QUALITY...but a lot of people then to forget this when they see 200h+ of gametime and some very good quests and some good...and some so horrible that ruin everything....)

6. I get it when games make you feel bad for the choices you make (really bad)....but you stick to your choice and don't feel cheated by poorly written (childish) story...

7. GOOD literature for me is that which is consistent with itself...no matter how fantastic, how absurd, how far-fetched...as long as the illusion doesn't break....The Witcher 3 breaks the illusion in so many places (even though I could have been easily written better)

(8. sidenote: performance is an illusion breaker as well)

9. This makes me so sad because the witcher really had the potential to be something great, but it comes short... I really don't expect to see this improve in Cyberpunk, but we will see....

10. the wrong choice with Triss makes me to want to QUIT the game and never touch it again (that's how strongly I feel about bad literature)...it doesn't make me want to play it again

(11. as a sidenote: if they do change this on PS4...I WILL buy the expansion on the spot...but if not then I guess this ends my adventure with the witcher 3...note: this is not motivation or threat or anything of the sort, but only proof of my strong feelings about this...now the problem is not really the wrong romance anymore, but the lack of choice to break up)

Last edited:
Choosing Triss makes more sense if you've played the previous games (or if you role-play Geralt as a self-respecting man who does not have a bitchy mom complex). The writing for either romance is bad and teenish, though the quests that involve Triss in Novigrad are actually the better written. The downside there is CDPR relegated her to more of an episodic conquest than a real important part of the game.

Regardless, the romance you choose doesn't make a lot of difference. Nothing really does (don't believe the hype that the Wild Hunt is a story-driven role-playing game full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences). Only a few key choices you make towards the end have sincere impact.

TW 3, when all is said and done, is not an RPG. It's a simple-minded action game with a few RPG elements. Presentation is its strongest aspect because RedEngine 3 is nothing short of spectacular.

Everything else? Pretty damn disappointing.

Last edited:

vladgiurgiubv

I guess simple minded is a but too much, but it's in the right direction. Some choices are interesting and make you feel something, but rarely.

Branching storyline =/= NON-linear

a branching story is still a sort of linear story....if you make connections between the branches (like a break-up with triss/yen) that give it a bit more complexity and consistency

(and BTW. why not a RPG? looting system, combat etc. are dissapointing)

Now it really depends on what level you criticize a game...for a lot of people this is a superb game....some expected more and want more from the stories that they engage in.... i think expectations always make or break your experience with the game:

They said mature, complex, realistic story-line...and we get a half-baked, quasi-linear, childish at times story...close to the promise, but not quite :p

(tipp for everyone: avoid hype with any game...you know the release date...that is enough... explore the game when you begin to play it and let yourself be surprized...this is the lesson I've learned with a lot of games and hope that it can help other people aswell)

(and if you think I'm trolling, you are wrong...I am dead serious about what I write and appreciate this game for it's good and bad aspects...both should be part of critical thinking)

3. This romance thing is very poorly written. CDPR said they want to make a mature and realistic game...well some choices can be undone in real life (e.g romance choices)

You can easily undo your Triss choice by also trying to romance Yennefer, it just happens that you can no longer be with Yennefer, and it is not like you are not warned before the choice (in Vizima in the prologue, Geralt is already scolded for his "adventures" in the previous game(s)). The solution you suggest would render the choice meaningless (because you could still get any of the endings anyway with no negative consequences), and that is not what the Witcher games are about.

I don't throw simple-minded around loosely; gave it in fact a lot of consideration, but yeah, it's the perfect term considering the level of dumbing-down TW 3 offers.

Why not a RPG? The discussion of why would take more time than I have at the moment, but suffice it to say that an actual role-playing game isn't this linear. A RPG also offers you choices at critical junctures whereas TW 3 too many times takes control away from the gamer and doesn't let them truly form their own PC. Playing the game is too much like watching a movie.

Choosing Triss makes more sense if you've played the previous games (or if you role-play Geralt as a self-respecting man who does not have a bitchy mom complex).

I do not want to insult you mate, so do not take it like that... but if that is the entire depth you could extract from Geralt, Yennefer and their history, EVEN in the inferior video game version... then perhaps talking about storylines, themes and characters is not something that you should be doing. Or at least not nearly as much. It just does not seem logical or consistent guys ...

@calasade -- and some others as well -- please forgive me for the observation, but I can't help but notice you've frequently reiterated the same criticisms in many different threads. I believe most of us are well aware of your disappointment by now. While it is indeed unfortunate that the game's narrative was such an unfulfilling experience for you, perhaps it may be a beneficial time to move on to other entertainments, rather than dwell upon the aspects of this one which irritate you so much?

Choosing Triss makes more sense if you've played the previous games (or if you role-play Geralt as a self-respecting man who does not have a bitchy mom complex).

Yeah, but that's just like, your opinion, man...

The main story quest progression that eventually leads to these romantic paths is a bit off, it's true. And we all know that bungling up your waifu choice can be a traumatic experience.

vladgiurgiubv

@calasade -- and some others as well -- please forgive me for the observation, but I can't help but notice you've frequently reiterated the same criticisms in many different threads. I believe most of us are well aware of your disappointment by now. While it is indeed unfortunate that the game's narrative was such an unfulfilling experience for you, perhaps it may be a beneficial time to move on to other entertainments, rather than dwell upon the aspects of this one which irritate you so much?

Let me say it again: I am not criticizing the writing in the Triss romance, but the fact that you are not able to choose a second time...

the wrong choice with Triss makes me to want to QUIT the game and never touch it again (that's how strongly I feel about bad literature)...it doesn't make me want to play it again

I understand you : ( In my opinion on the outside Triss in TW3 is sweet and it's clear she loves Geralt or lusts after him but that was about it for me. His exchanges with Yen were so much more realistic and more interesting. Too bad about the lock but well continue to play and if it is possible enjoy what the game offers even with many flaws TW3 is still amazing game :)

Let me say it again: I am not criticizing the writing in the Triss romance, but the fact that you are not able to choose a second time...
I wasn't suggesting that you were, and my comment was not directed at you. In fact, I agree that they could have allowed the player more choice in that particular area of the story. I'm always glad to see people make reasonable, creative suggestions.

vladgiurgiubv

Thank you...the solution is easy to implement, so why not do it?

You see the same criticisms because the same type of threads keep popping up. I'm simply giving my opinion since a forum's purpose is to be a venue through whiich people voice their thoughts. My presence in the TW 3 forums will end when I finish the game (which hopefully won't be long now - first time I've ever wanted to finish something so badly not because I've enjoyed it but because I can't not finish something if that makes sense, no matter my distaste for it. Well, that and the hours and money I've put into the Witcher series. Finishing TW 3 is a matter of closure, too.

I've tried to be fair, pointing out where I think TW 3 is good or excels. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, I have found the game to be unsatisfactory on many levels, so you see more criticism than praise.

Anyway, upon completing TW 3, you'll then find me in the TW 2 forums. Now that's a game I love and look forward to re-playing. :)

Last edited:
Thank you...the solution is easy to implement, so why not do it?
That's really a question for the developers. However, from what little I understand, even such 'simple' changes can prove far more complicated on the technical level than they may at first appear to the interested observer.

Top Bottom