Should we separate nothern realms deck in the future (or now?) ?

+
Should we separate nothern realms deck in the future (or now?) ?

First let's talk about the strength of each faction. Skellige and squirrels are nothing when they face a united north (the big four and many minor countries, and even included Kovir), and the empire have not shown yet.

Second let's talk about cards. The game series and most of the stories in book series and comic series happened in the North, which means sooner or later, we will realize that the northern realms deck has way more Gwent-worthy people than other decks, and I don't wish to add john doe s in other decks or ignore important northern characters because of that. The niffggard is strong compare with the north, yet we can see that almost all the characters in the south have appeared in the gwent (in witcher3), even those who just got their names appearred in the battle of brenna.

The Northern realms have way more gwent-worthy characters ( and too many leaders at least, I don't want to see that Foltest is the sole ruler of the north or we have all kings in the north to be leaders in the gwent and in the empire deck we only have emhyr with four different portraits and abilities)

So I think maybe we should separate northern realms to different decks maybe the better solution

Hmmm... From what I've read and seen of the Witcher universe, there are a lot of leaders and characters to utilize. Not as famous perhaps, but if you read the books, there are lots of potential GWENT-worthy characters! I don't think it's necessary to split up Northern Realms! Actually, I would dislike that a lot!

Or did I miss your point? :)

Hmmm... From what I've read and seen of the Witcher universe, there are a lot of leaders and characters to utilize. Not as famous perhaps, but if you read the books, there are lots of potential GWENT-worthy characters! I don't think it's necessary to split up Northern Realms! Actually, I would dislike that a lot!

Or did I miss your point? :)

I think you did... my fault though, english is not my first language, sometimes I can't express myself very well.

My point is that north has so many gwent-worthy characters, leaders and so on. So other decks will have to make up john doe s to fill their deck (because north deck has so many gwent worthy cards and other decks have to match the number of cards to make the game balance)

The other solution is to ignore many northern worthy cards, which I believe you also dislike

So I think maybe it's best to separate north deck to different decks

Hope I make it clear this time :)

There are definitely enough characters to do that. That's something I'd love to see.

1. Temeria.
2. Redania.
3. Aedirn.
4. Kaedwen.
5. The lesser kingdoms.
6. Skellige.

There are definitely enough characters for each.

There are definitely enough characters to do that. That's something I'd love to see.

1. Temeria.
2. Redania.
3. Aedirn.
4. Kaedwen.
5. The lesser kingdoms.
6. Skellige.

There are definitely enough characters for each.

Yeah that would be great.... but too many decks is also a problem though

I wouldn't like to see it happen for some of the reasons that have been mentioned so far. The Witcher has an interesting setting, but its lore it's not rich enough to distinguish from the different Northern Kingdoms to any significant extent. They are all fairly homogeneous.

Also, after Nilfgaard's in, I want them to focus on improving already existing factions rather than splitting them or adding new ones. Five is more than enough. If one wants to play as some more specific faction there are always themed decks.

Frankly, you could make the same case for other factions, even if to a lesser extent. Putting the Wild Hunt, vampires and Dagon, or Mahakam, Dol Blathanna, Brokilon and the Scoia'tael proper into the same decks is also a form of oversimplification and even less lore friendly than putting all of the Northern Realms in one faction. But if you split them all you'll end up with increasingly samey decks as well as a development nightmare. Simple is better in this case as in many others.

I'm not sure if I want the northern realms faction to be seperated, but it's completely possible. I'm playing The Elder Scrolls Legends since last week and I was really surprised how 90% of the cards aren't named characters, since I played the TES games many times and there are many characters they could've added. The amount of familiar characters in Gwent is already great and we haven't even seen most of them. So, if CDPR additionally creates more cards like in TESL (something like "Redanian War Hero" or "Executioner of Wyzima" f.e.) as troops, we would have enough cards for the factions suggested by Eredin. There would be even more possibilites if they make up new lore, like new cities.

I think the problem is the diversity of faction playstyles, rather than the lore for enough cards. Comparing Nilfgaard and Monsters in TW3, the playstyle is really different, but how can you do something similiar for Aedirn and Kaedwen? The amount of possible cards justifies the seperation of NR completely, but the variation of them does not.

Last edited:
5/6 factions is more than enough but the option to customize them would be good like being able to build a Vampire themed deck derived from Monsters .. I hope we get all the witcher characters especially ones from the games like wild ones (Olgierd's minions) or the borsodis from HoS and the many Toussiant characters we saw in B&W

Yes, adding all characters from the games and books first should be the priority, and only after that they should make up "new" cards. Bethesda's focus on unnamed cards instead of important persons from the games is a really disappointing aspect of Legends. So I'm really happy that all of us will see their favorites in Gwent. :)

No dont need to do that.
We can separate north, separate skoyatael on elf \ dwarf \halflings , separate monsters on Hunt raiders/ vampires / dead /spirits etc
Better we have 5 main decks (like 5 colours in mtg) but lot of variation in each fraction.
This is mutch better then HS system with 9 classes, and all play agro deck )

In future maby we will see some new deck like Zerrikania, Ofir but not soon.

I don't think we'll ever see them. We only have a couple characters from each (Literally two from each country.), and C.D.P.R. (Thankfully.) wants to stick to the lore, and not go inventing characters.

T.L.,D.R.: no Ofier, Zerrikania, Haakland, or any other foreign land.

From my point of view 5 fractions is good choice. CDP RED plans to add much more new cards to every deck. When they do that, then for example we will have 150 or even more cards per every fraction. With such quantity of the different cards we will be able to prepare a couple completely different decks from cards in one fraction. For example in monsters fraction we create Wild Hunt deck, Vampire Deck etc. There is no need to split world for more fractions. We only need more cards whose are related to each other to create theme decks :)

Top Bottom