Should weather go back to affecting both sides of the board?

+
Should weather go back to affecting both sides of the board?

I'm aware that this is a topic that considers whether taking a few steps back would be a good thing. What are players thoughts on unilateral vs weather effects affecting both sides? Beyond the witcher 3, I didn't play gwent when weather affecting both sides was a thing.

Theme wise, Ragnarook affecting only one side of the board only doesn't seem right. If you call down the apocalpyse, you'd better also be facing the consequences. Theme wise bilateral weather effects promote attrition through weather along with mitigation of effects though preparation (taking creatures with frost immunity, ability to survive in rain, armor). SK in particular could have fun with self damaging effects whilst the dwarves would just get drunk to ignore it (replace with boons).

Does this just become a game of who can put down their preferred effect last?

Last edited:
No.

it does makes sense, if you summon frost on your opponents castle why would your castle be affected too?

keep weather the way they are.

I miss the old animation for weather and first light

I don't think it should come back, no. I do miss the strategy behind old weather though, for sure. In today's Gwent, it would be way too strong. I mean, it literally turned everything on that row into one power units. Gold cards can take damage now too so...

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
When weather becomes double-sided again, golden weather needs to be buffed, in order for it too remain viable, meaning this will create more oppressive weather, which is something CDPR took a lot of time trying to balance it out. Meanwhile, the bronze weather being double-sided, matters little with all units being agile. The result is a bigger gap between bronze and gold weather, which, in turn, breaks every kind of balance.

TL;DR: no

dragoonzen;n10174022 said:
No. it does makes sense, if you summon frost on your opponents castle why would your castle be affected too? keep weather the way they are.

Do you remember when the Northern Realms won the battle of brenna thanks to their mages casting frost on the Nilfgaardian side? No? Please stop saying non-symmetrical weather does make sense lore wise. Using magic to change the weather is described in the books, but not like this.

4RM3D;n10174392 said:
When weather becomes double-sided again, golden weather needs to be buffed, in order for it too remain viable

If you would bring weather immunity back (only against one type of weather) and change RNR to the old effect (frost+fog+rain), RNR could still be useful in some decks. Don't know how to change drought though.... They won't change it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
dragoonzen;n10174022 said:
No.

it does makes sense, if you summon frost on your opponents castle why would your castle be affected too?

keep weather the way they are.

I miss the old animation for weather and first light

Humans can't summon weather. It's either there or not. The game's way past logic though, being a game and all.

Yes, weather should go back to affecting both rows. All units are agile now, so playing around that with your own units isn't hard. Or maybe it is for "beginners" and "new players" as they say.

Gold weather affects the opponent's side only but takes up a Gold slot. I would like to see this coupled with some kind of row mechanic. It would add more to both deck building and gameplay.

For example, NR siege units deal 5 damage when placed on the siege row. So you can be proactive and play weather to that row. Now the opponent has a choice. Play into weather and deal full (5) damage or play on another row and get reduced damage on his siege weapon. Of course values would need to be tweaked but you get the idea. It would make things more interesting and add some of that "armies in battle" flavour back.

I'd really like to see them try something like that. They're changing the game completely every two months anyway. I'd rather test a change like that, than all the RNG stuff we're playing with now.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10174542 said:
I would like to see this coupled with some kind of row mechanic. It would add more to both deck building and gameplay.

Yes, a prefered row system would be nice. Someting like an extra-deploy ability if played on the correct row.
One example I was thinking about yesterday: Ancient foglet: If there is fog on the opposite row, damage all units on it by 1 (triggers only when played on the ranged row).

It won't happen, but I like to think about it :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
I did like the old system better - hell, i had like 80-90% winrate by being a SK main who used weather immune units then threw surprise Ragnaroog at the end.

But CDPR removed Weather Immunity, changed weather to be gradual damage, to only affect oponent's side, removed Gold immunity... they wouldnt go back on all those changes now, and for it to make sense it would have to revert all those changes, just one or two wouldnt work.

No.

It was admittedly fun to use Blizzard Potion I think it was on those weather immune units (like making Eredin die to his own units' frost), but I don't miss the double-sided weather, especially with the new boon system. For example if you're running a Moonlight/Frost deck, and want to have all opponent's rows frosted while boosting your units with Full Moon.
(Yes, you can call that greedy, but still.)

Personally, I'm rather weary of all this made-to-order weather, and think there should be risks -- dangerous consequences -- for the player who summons frost, fog, rain, storms, fire, or drought to the board. After all, if these armies are on the same battlefield, it stands to reason that the weather isn't going to stay neatly and obediently on one side. Although, it is rather funny to think of a single rain cloud pouring down on only one small group of units, while everyone else is quite dry and warm . . . .

DRK3;n10174862 said:
But CDPR removed Weather Immunity, changed weather to be gradual damage, to only affect oponent's side, removed Gold immunity... they wouldnt go back on all those changes now, and for it to make sense it would have to revert all those changes, just one or two wouldnt work.

I think you could go back to symmetrical weather without having to revert any other change except maybe bringing weather immunity back. Of course you would have to rebalance many cards in this case. But it would be very weird to see that happen considering the direction gwent hast taken. Just some grumpy witcher3-gwent-veterans like me do care about anything making sense.

But I actually think gwent could benefit from a prefered row system....

I'd like to see real weather back, with the 2 sides affected but ofc with weather immunity readded too. It would bring more strategy to the game.

Does it makes sense to still have icons of melee, range and siege but all units are agile? No? But that is the changes that was made. These changes including weather were all made for a good reason and better improve the gameplay overall. Lorewise? CDprojeckred takes liberty with these cards and their connection to the witcher lore.

I vote no. The old way made it too dominant IMO and restricted the overall game to much, as everyone had to carry first light to compensate for weather everywhere.

Rawls;n10184692 said:
I vote no. The old way made it too dominant IMO and restricted the overall game to much, as everyone had to carry first light to compensate for weather everywhere.

Old weather was so strong, because it would set all your units to 1 and not because it was two-sided. Weather being two-sided is actually a nerf if you wouldn't change anything else. I think weather was most annoying at the start of open beta, when every deck was running one or two gold weather + those disgusting frost decks, which wouldn't have worked if weather was symmetrical.

Last edited:
Symmetrical weather would instantly kill weather as a type. Weather is mostly a tempo loss as it is, and only works because there are archetypes that get benefits from its existence. 2 damage per turn to one unit means you need 5 turns to do equal damage to one whole alzur's thunder. If you have to start hurting your own units as well, you'll never get value out of it, even if you build your deck around it. Considering how many ways there are to move units around these days... no, it'd be disastrous.

Unless, as mentioned, they return 'weather immunity' as a mechanic, in which case fair enough.

BornBoring;n10184982 said:
if you wouldn't change anything else.
Agreed ... but they would have to change other things. No way around it or the cards are useless.

Rawls;n10185422 said:
Agreed ... but they would have to change other things. No way around it or the cards are useless.

Yes, without the return of weather immunity and a number of balance changes this wouldn't make sense. But it won't happen anyway.

There is already a lot of work to do anyway :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom