Shouldn't AS write a new book?

+
I'm speaking from a purely ethical standpoint. So many people villifying Sapkowski for legally demanding money from his own IP (even though anyone would do the same in his place), yet it's ok for CDPR to hold on to the money they saved thanks to his mistake?
You're saying "legally". But how legal is that? Both sides signed a contract, Sapkowski got his money and that should be it. Asking for additional compensation, at least based on what we know so far, looks like opposite of "legal". And you're describing the choice of Sapkowski as a mistake like he passed by, slipped and accidentally signed a contract against his interests... And then CDPR just drowned in money thanks to that accident.

You both have right in your words, but these days the law and the paper what counts. Moral is no matter. Important is what was layed down on the paper, but we don't know that. Court will find out, I think.

It's really not that hard to find. Try reddit or youtube.
I saw speculations, but I didn't see specifically "experts". There are also experts on CDPR side, that find the claim "groundless with regard to their merit as well as the stipulated amount".

I doubt they will actually take it to the court.

In this case we will newer know what is the situation between them. But in the end it's no matter for us. Important is a new good book! If AS will write it maybe there will be a reference between the lines about this :)

I would prefer for them to keep healthy relationship. If it's possible. AS is a grumpy old man, who's very dismissive about games in general. So it's rather against the odds. Even with a possible settlement. In the worst case I hope CDPR retains the rights and doesn't suffer serious damage to finances and reputation.

I would prefer for them to keep healthy relationship.
Would be the best option, but after this point I doubt this. Even I doubt it was a really good relationship till these days. If it would have been AS could do this personaly with CDPR owners.

Would be the best option, but after this point I doubt this. Even I doubt it was a really good relationship till these days. If it would have been AS could do this personaly with CDPR owners.
There was no relationship, basically. It looks like they just shook hands and went their separate ways. But this new demand will sour it most likely.

An interesting comment from reddit:

Take a look at The Witcher trademark registration: https://trademarks.justia.com/857/93/the-85793040.html Sapkowski's name wasn't on it untill 2014, after a request by a lawyer. Does it not seem ironic to you that the man who created The Witcher wasn't considered even its partial owner? That may have been his own mistake/oversight but CDPR have taken full advantage of it; they aren't exactly saints.
It's hilarious that the fans still see them a tiny private studio run by a few honest, hard-working guys. They'd started that way but at present they are a massive corporation with all that it implies, and have been for a good long while; they aren't some sort of icon of morality and selflessness the fans are making them out to be. They'd made a shit ton of money off The Witcher merchandise and licensing to various enterprises (comic books, TRPG, Soulcalibur, to name a few) - of which Sapkowski saw nothing. I am not suggesting they'd maliciously scammed him or anything of the kind but they'd definitely taken full advantage of his mistake - and now he wants to rectify it. Well, he can, according to the law. I don't know a single human being who wouldn't in his shoes, so people crucifying him are fucking hypocrites and nothing more.​

It's hilarious that the fans still see them a tiny private studio run by a few honest, hard-working guys.​

After a second think: is it possible CDPR make this public, because they know they are in the worse position with the demand and they expect this will happen with ASs reputation? In the background they will make a deal, but so keeping the public on their side? This is mostly a "conspiracy speculation" but after your words, I think this also possible. Money often makes decent people to whores!

CDPR also has history of horribly treating its employees. As much as they're beloved by gamers, they're not saints by any means.

CDPR was fair towards gaming audience, didn't use rotten practices and they fully deserve admiration they get. Are they saints? Nobody is. But in the current climate in the gaming industry they're one of very few paragons that make AAA games and don't abuse gamers.

Situation at hand is a different matter. Nuances like if AS' name should belong with the trademark registered by CDPR and other - silly attempts to vilify CDPR.

Guest 3847602

After a second think: is it possible CDPR make this public, because they know they are in the worse position with the demand and they expect this will happen with ASs reputation? In the background they will make a deal, but so keeping the public on their side? This is mostly a "conspiracy speculation" but after your words, I think this also possible. Money often makes decent people to whores!
I don't think they require public support if their goal is to make a deal with him. If CDPR wanted to do that, they could keep it secret, finish negotiations and proclaim: "We have a new deal with Mr. Sapkowski, from now on he'll be getting X% of our future sales, we are aware that our previous contract turned out to be unfair for him, in return we've acquired the licence for X, Y and Z, etc..."
Giving away money after somebody threatened you doesn't make you look good.

Nuances like if AS' name should belong with the trademark registered by CDPR and other - silly attempts to vilify CDPR.

C'mon! Doesn't it look even a little bit exploitative to you? Apparently they were also hindering the release of that cancelled Witcher movie, claiming the ownership. Though I don't know for certain if those rumors are true.

@ooodrin
This is also true! We can just speculating about this.

@Zyvik @lelxrv
Thus I don't judge neither side. Nothing is white or black! Either side has made his own mistakes. But even so I'm sore a bit at AS because he didn't wrote more books!

C'mon! Doesn't it look even a little bit exploitative to you? Apparently they were also hindering the release of that cancelled Witcher movie, claiming the ownership. Though I don't know for certain if those rumors are true.
Since I don't know the details of the deal, I can't make judgement on this. Plenty of stuff is speculated. AS himself said he regrets signing away the whole package. What was included in that - no idea. Apparently not TV series rights, at least. But if there was merchandise, comic books and so on? I don't know.

I don't know anything about the alleged cancelled film.

CD is not milking the IP, they give the player what he wants. If nobody wants witcher they stop making games with him and to be honest if they would be so greedy they would have made a 4th witcher game as soon as they have seen the good sales but no they bought another IP from another guy, and work their asses off another time and the topic with the employees is maybe true but without hard work there wouldn't be this good game. The videogame industry is a very hard one. Sapkowski didn't believed in CD and to be honest its his own bad luck and mistake. CD didn't forced him or otherwise. The Witcher game IP is not his IP anymore and if he treats his own IP such bad then he doesn't deserve it. To be honest he is 70 and what will he do with the IP? he is salty that everyone knows geralt because of the games and not books. Bad character. Maybe AS got a new lawyer now who knows.

Top Bottom