Shupe's Big Adventure Deck Discussions

+
Shupe's Big Adventure Deck Discussions

Shupe's Big Adventure is definitely the most unique card in Gwent, but it comes at the hefty price of not having any duplicate bronze cards in your deck. I really like how cards like these forces you to create a whole new kind of deck (just like with Ciri: Nova).

Which factions/leaders do you think work best for Shupe's Big Adventure?

Personally, I think Francesca and King Bran will work the best. Francesca can reliable pull any card you might need, which is especially handy in situations like these. Also, the faction doesn't have an over-reliance on specific archetypes, unlike NR and NG. In turn, King Bran can thin out the deck a bit, together with some discard cards, which also allows you to more reliably fish for your important cards.

The other factions will have a more difficult time with Shupe. However, there is also Saskia: Dragonfire, which might actually be a consideration here.

Shupe Mage (4):
  • Play a Bronze or Silver special card from your deck.
  • Charm a random enemy.
  • Draw a card.
  • Spawn random hazards on all enemy rows.
  • Deal 10 damage to an enemy and 5 to any adjacent to it.
Shupe Hunter (8):
  • Deal 15 damage.
  • Deal 2 damage to a random enemy, repeat 8 times.
  • Replay a bronze or silver ally and boost it by 5.
  • Clear all hazards from your side and boost all allies by 1.
  • Play a bronze or silver unit from your deck.
Shupe Knight (12):
  • Duel an enemy.
  • Reset a unit.
  • Strengthen self to 25.
  • Destroy enemies with less than 4 power.
  • Resilient.
I have been playing the following Shupe deck with decent results:

Francesca

Shupe's Bizarre Adventure
Vesemir: Mentor
Ithlinne
Schirrú

Yaevinn
Pavko Gale
Barclay Els
Expired Ale
Morana Runestone
Mahakam Horn

Vrihedd Neophyte
Vrihedd Brigade
Vrihedd Dragoon
Dwarven Mercenary
Dwarven Skirmisher
Half-Elf Hunter
Vrihedd Officer
Pyrotechnican
Wardancer
Dwarven Agitator
Elven Scout
Elven Mercenary

Alzur's Thunder
Mahakam Ale
Reconnaisance

This deck things pretty consistent because of all the tutor cards, if you mulligan the right cards and play the others in the right order.

Vesemir's main target is Expired Ale (alternatives are Morana Runestone and Mahakam Ale)
Pavko Gale can pull Mahakam Horn or Morana Runestone
Alzur's Thunder should be saved for Ithlinne
Elven Mercanery can pull Mahakam Ale or Reconnaisance as backup

The trick is to have at least one option left in your deck for your tutor to pull. And every tutor has multiple (shared) options. Keep an eye out for this.

Other than that, you have your usual bronze cards which are good on their own. Wardancer you mulligan away and Vrihedd Dragoon is a good opening card. There is a dwarven package too, to pull out a few dwarfs via Barclay or Agitator. If you do brick your hand, you can use Francesca to mulligan it away and pull the card you'll need. Alternatively, you can use Vrihedd Officer for a free mulligan.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I'm very intrigued by this card, but since i dont know exactly yet what each version will do, i'll leave it for a later stage after i have a good idea how it works.

At first, i'll start with a Ciri Nova deck which i already have some ideas, but wont share here cuz i dont wanna diverge on the topic.

But Saskia Dragonfire is another intriguing new Gold, and that one i have been thinking how to use effectively and cant come up with a good solution. First i thought it would be good for SK Discard, but then i read it BANISHES the ones you discard! Might be only useful when you have 1 or 2 cards left and they're crap.

I played him in a Filavandrel deck with tons of Specials and Units with the new Create tag, just to have some fun, and I had :D

Oh oh, Shupe even has a soundtrack...

Shupe's abilities

Shupe Mage (4):
  • Play a Bronze or Silver special card from your deck.
  • Charm a random enemy.
  • Draw a card.
  • Spawn random hazards on all enemy rows.
  • Deal 10 damage to an enemy and 5 to any adjacent to it.

Shupe Hunter (8):
  • Deal 15 damage.
  • Deal 2 damage to a random enemy, repeat 8 times.
  • Replay a bronze or silver ally and boost it by 5.
  • Clear all hazards from your side and boost all allies by 1.
  • Play a bronze or silver unit from your deck.

Shupe Knight (12):
  • Duel an enemy.
  • Reset a unit.
  • Strengthen self to 25.
  • Destroy enemies with less than 4 power.
  • Resilient.

Keep in mind it's still PTR and might change.

Iuliandrei

Thanks for sharing that list. I've merged your thread into this one.

Initially, I was thinking of leaving yours alone, if it would solely focus on Shupe's ability but with the similarity with this one, I reckon users were going to discussion the other aspects of Shupe.

What a fun card :)

I`m currently running a discard bran deck with it, cause I wanna see that card evertime I play the deck. I also combine it with hym, which is a great randomness fun factor as well.

Shupe is working great with Eredin; can have two of the same Bronze WH unit, usually the Drakkar. I also run one Nekker Warrior, which sometimes finds interesting uses outside the Monsters faction.

So much fun! :D

DRK3

Forum veteran
I dont have the card yet (got it as possibility on a Keg but went with Olaf, the new SK Gold bear instead - i know shame on me...) but i'm disappointed that the 3 times i saw it used against me they are all the most boring effect - strengthen to 25.

Come on guys, i wanna see some diversity.

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, you can freely choose from any of those 15 different abilities? If that's the case, it's really nice! I've only been seing those boring 25 pts Shupes or Resilient Shupes, then today i saw one throwing my rows with 2 Blood Moons and 1 Dragon's Dream and i was like "WTF is this?" I lost, but i liked it!

DRK3;n10124992 said:
So, you can freely choose from any of those 15 different abilities?

No, you'll first have to pick 1 of 3 cards and then that card shows 3 out of 5 possible options you can choose from.

I´m playing him with Nilfgaard. Personally I do recommend Emhyr, ´cause you´re able to play the same card twice which is pretty nice if you just have a single one of each... I even use it in ranked and was able to reach rank 17 quite easily.

I'm not fond of the idea of super-powered neutral cards in general. But I do like that Shupe has a potential home in almost any deck. I'd rather he wasn't automatically the best card in it, though. I mean, one of Shupe: Hunter's damage abilities is a strictly superior version of Harald in the axemen deck. I don't have this card yet and I've not run into him often enough to have a real opinion, but he's certainly interesting. The raw numbers look overtuned to me.

I'm not comfortable with that much power coming from neutral golds

Last edited:
I've been running Shupe's Special Adventure the last few days in ranked and have gotten really solid results (though I'm nowhere near top ranks). Here's the current version of it - http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/40342-s...cial-adventure. Thinking about ditching Yaevinn for Summoning Circle though.

I love Shupe decks for a couple reasons. (1) They work differently than many other decks, so opponents are somewhat confused by them. (2) They're fun and challenging and add more variety to your own experience so your not always playing the exact same cards the same way.

Last edited:
iamthedave;n10171922 said:
I'm not comfortable with that much power coming from neutral golds

You realize you gotta screw your whole deck (only 1 bronze allowed) to be able to get this right?

This card is very balanced.

There is currently only 1 faction that can play this card competive (scoiatel), but that`s not this cards fault, but rather scoaitel being OP in general atm

SoSaHer;n10173532 said:
You realize you gotta screw your whole deck (only 1 bronze allowed) to be able to get this right?

You can make a viable Shupe deck. It's just usually less consistent. But...

SoSaHer;n10173532 said:
There is currently only 1 faction that can play this card competive (scoiatel), but that`s not this cards fault, but rather scoaitel being OP in general atm

The reason that Shupe works well in ST is not because ST is "OP", but because ST is the most consistent. Francesca guarantees Shupe, while she, on her own, isn't that strong. Furthermore, cards like Vrihedd Officer offers an extra mulligan, if you brick your hand. Speaking of which, besides Fran pulling Shupe, she can also unbrick your hand, making it possible to do more risky mulligans. That's her true strength, IMO. The other reason ST is good for Shupe lies in the selection of cards you have that are good on their own, without having to create a synergy. The irony is that the latter, was actually the reason why ST was weaker before the patch, which has turned into a strength for Shupe.

4RM3D;n10174132 said:
Francesca guarantees Shupe

Anybody guaranting Shupe with Fransesca is doing it wrong.

You got a silver spy who is guaranteerd to get a special in the draw. Which if you run only 1 special (shupe) is giving you the card you want. Furhtermore we got a dwarf who can draw silvers...So you`r 100% shupe included while running brouvier and Yaevinn. That way you also got something usefull to do if you draw into shupe before.

It was my take as well to do it the Fransesca way, but that`s clearly suboptimal in the current spy meta.

Last edited:
SoSaHer;n10174952 said:
You got a silver spy who is guaranteerd to get a special in the draw. Which if you run only 1 special (shupe) is giving you the card you want. Furhtermore we got a dwarf who can draw silvers...So you`r 100% shupe included while running brouvier and Yaevinn.

That's a good alternative when you are not using any other specials, but as you can see in the OP, I am using a special intensive deck where your suggestion doesn't work. Also, Brouver cannot unbrick your hand where needed.

Top Bottom