Side quest rewards and roleplaying

+
I don’t think it’d feel very good or natural if every single mission, be it main or side content, was crafted to fit every single character type you can play.
By the same token you have (potentially) much more freedom of action in CP2077 then you did in Witcher. Geralt could have been a relatively nice guy, or a dick, but he couldn't be outright selfish and callous. In CP2077 you'll (probably) have the option to go "Murder Hobo". But having the option doesn't mean you'll necessarily be able to pull it off (assuming MaxTac is properly implemented).

Many people confuse "freedom of action" with "freedom of choice", they're not the same thing.

Side quests are where where choice and action are (well, should be) most apparent in a game. The main story-line by necessity limits your options, you can't just blow it off, or outright fail, and still progress.

I don't like the idea of no reward for a quest- most of the typical players would probably think that the game is broken, or feel gyped after spending a lot of time and effort on it (especially if it's hard). The bigger issue I have with side quests is that they ruin the pacing of a game and the sense of urgency it's supposed to have. Mass Effect was terrible at this- I have to stop the Reaper invasion, but first let me do promotional material for every store in the Citadel.

Perhaps a better answer can solve both problems- make it so that V has to choose between branching out and doing a side quest or not pissing off someone who'll be upset if the things that want you do do aren't handled in a timely manner.

The side quest can have a reward, but also a 'cost', and it's up to the player to decide which is greater.

Sure, the game can be made in a way where a self-interested character will always have an appropriate path for all content. This isn't the only type of character. If this character should have a viable path you could make the case for any character having a viable path. At what point is it acceptable?
I understand what you're saying - and in general I'd agree with you - but given that in TW we controlled a monster hunter for hire and in CP77 we control basically a mercenary, having the option to do something for a price seems like a reasonable expectation, given that kind of background. Even more so considering the setting. At best the NPC can reply that he or she can't give you anything. Or offer a substitute of some kind, if at all possible.

This made me think about the character in question. I can understand a character who has his own self-interest in mind first and foremost, but with absolutely nothing else beyond that? That sounds very one-dimensional, like a flat character in a book. Usually there is more to people and what drives them.

Top Bottom