*sigh* When are we finally going to get the ability to change V's appearance?

+
It's been 9 months since the game came out, and another patch has come and gone and we still can't change V's appearance after the intro. If someone had told me back before the game came out that this much time would pass and there still wouldn't be such an important feature present in the game, I would've laughed. But now, I'm at a level of anger that I really can't put into words. This is what I waited for years for, and paid 60 bucks for? Even Skyrim lets you change the character's appearance and that game came out, hold on let me check my notes, TEN ****ING YEARS AGO. I haven't touched 2077 in months because I can't get more than an hour into the game before I want to tweak V's appearance - change the hair color, etc - and there's just no way to do it in-game. Is it ever going to get done, or am I just waiting in vain over here?

I'm pretty sure they're aware this is a much-demanded feature at this point!!

PS Skyrim did make you look like a slug with a nose, though...

It's been 9 months since the game came out, and another patch has come and gone and we still can't change V's appearance after the intro. If someone had told me back before the game came out that this much time would pass and there still wouldn't be such an important feature present in the game, I would've laughed. But now, I'm at a level of anger that I really can't put into words. This is what I waited for years for, and paid 60 bucks for? Even Skyrim lets you change the character's appearance and that game came out, hold on let me check my notes, TEN ****ING YEARS AGO. I haven't touched 2077 in months because I can't get more than an hour into the game before I want to tweak V's appearance - change the hair color, etc - and there's just no way to do it in-game. Is it ever going to get done, or am I just waiting in vain over here?

Sometime in 2022 most likely, when the price point DLC ships.

Except that Skyrim didn't have that in the base game and it came with the Hearthfire DLC, right after Dawnguard.

Come to think of it, how common in RPG's of any kind is it to have your main character customizable after the initial character creation?

For some reason I didn't think it was that common...

The face sculptor was added later in Skyrim yes, the main issue was that you could change your appearance by opening the racemenu with console commands, but it also affected your stats. Bethesda put the barbershop and cosmetic surgeon in Fallout 4's base game though. Mainly because it was in such high demand.

A lot of games nowadays, sadly have predesigned characters that cant be altered, unfortunate that. Changing appearance is rather uncommon yes.

The face sculptor was added later in Skyrim yes, the main issue was that you could change your appearance by opening the racemenu with console commands, but it also affected your stats. Bethesda put the barbershop and cosmetic surgeon in Fallout 4's base game though. Mainly because it was in such high demand.

A lot of games nowadays, sadly have predesigned characters that cant be altered, unfortunate that. Changing appearance is rather uncommon yes.
I was speaking in general going back to Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale to Morrowind, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Divinity, Diablo, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Fallout pre 4 and many, many more.

It was a general question, I would definitely love to be able to change V's hairstyle, makes a lot more sense to have it here than in The Witcher in my point of view.

But then Cyberpunk one ups The Witcher by having a character creation tool to begin with, you win some you lose some :).

I was speaking in general going back to Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale to Morrowind, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Divinity, Diablo, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Fallout pre 4 and many, many more.

It was a general question, I would definitely love to be able to change V's hairstyle, makes a lot more sense to have it here than in The Witcher in my point of view.

But then Cyberpunk one ups The Witcher by having a character creation tool to begin with, you win some you lose some :).
None of those games hade it. But there also pretty old. Or well technicaly you can change the look of Shepard in all ME games since you can create a "new" character after each :D same with DA. Kinda odd tho in a world of plastic skin and metal spines to not be able to get your hair cut...

you have a very complete and detailed character creator, why do yu want t change the appearance after that again?
and it is a First person game, you can't see your appearance unless in inventory

you have a very complete and detailed character creator, why do yu want t change the appearance after that again?
and it is a First person game, you can't see your appearance unless in inventory
Im not that happy with it tbh, feels like its not rendering my character properly. Lighting seems off and would be better with a real ingame room for it i think. Is serviceble id say and since you cant change it it can get annoying.

For RP purposes. At least for me. Different hairstyles/tattoos can reflect where your character is at in their personal journey. Same reason why some want more things to interact with in the city, like being able to sit down in a bar and get a drink. Its immersive, and adds to the enjoyment of a game. Or at least it can for some.

Im not that happy with it tbh, feels like its not rendering my character properly. Lighting seems off and would be better with a real ingame room for it i think. Is serviceble id say and since you cant change it it can get annoying.
The green lighting isn't great. You have absolutely no idea what colour your hair really is until you get into the game.

I suppose for fun at first. Like regularly change hairstyle is not indispensable but could be great :)
Or maybe like me sometimes, you're pretty happy with the look of the V you just created, but after a while (like after the Heist), you realize that it would look better with a different haircut, different eyes or without the tattoo on the face. In this case, either you restart from 0, or you do with it. So being able to change these "details" afterwards in the game would be really good for that.

Even in first person view, weird to say, but like in reality, I pay a little attention to my hairstyle even if I can see it directly :)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

The green lighting isn't great. You have absolutely no idea what colour your hair really is until you get into the game.
I remember the same thing with green lighting in Dragon Age Inquisition - you were creating the character under lighting condition that you'll never see again in the entire game. It was very easy to get hair colour wrong, even the skin colour would look different, paler in normal light.

As others have mentioned, the light during the character creation is different compared to how it is ingame.
My last V had blonde hair, looked great during creation. But once ingame that colour and hair style made it look like she had a huge bald spot....
Not much fun using photo mode then :p

I'm on PC so used a save game editor to change the hairstyle. But having a real ingame option would be much better!
Also could add so we'd get more hair styles, tattoos, piercings n such as we play. Think there's mods that add aldecaldos style tattoos for example. Have an ingame option of that after having done their quests n such would be neat.

Even more so considering the cyberpunk world puts so much emphasis on looks and style.

The bad lighting during character creation is sadly a common thing among lots of games, think I remade my character in Mass Effect 6-7 times before I got it right...

I remember the same thing with green lighting in Dragon Age Inquisition - you were creating the character under lighting condition that you'll never see again in the entire game. It was very easy to get hair colour wrong, even the skin colour would look different, paler in normal light.
Yea thats true. Think it was because of you create your character in the fade thats kinda oddly lit. Here they use a backdrop only but its not "natural" lighting. My Vs red hair looked almost black in char creator but ingame its really red :D

Character creator vs ingame look are two different things (2 me) sadly. Having option to change appearance during play would be really welcomed. I’m now on my 5th play through and every time I needed restart few times before I was satisfied with V’s ingame look. The most infuriating moment was when I finally get it exactly like I wanted and then 2 gigs later I saw that I’ve forget change nails (colour/length) during char creation … so followed next restart :(. In short, this ingame functionality is very high on my ‘most wanted’ list of upgrades.

Last edited:

In fallout 3 you could at least change your hairstyle with the robot butler. I always created my lone wanderer with tidy hair and then I'd eventually change it to something for fitting for the wasteland, cause RP! Not to mention games like Bully and Saints Row series. But true, most "old" games didn't have this feature. However, we started to see it in "modern" games more often. For example, the ability to change your character wasn't available in Dragon Age: Inquisition, but they put it in Mass Effect: Andromeda. When Watchdogs: Legion started, you had to be content with how your operatives looked like, but eventually the devs added the feature to change their hairstyle and hair colour, tattoos and piercings.

I wanna believe they eventually gonna add it, after all they fixed a couple of things people have been asking for

Actually, you can change your appearance in both Dragon Age 2 ad Inquisition with the free Black Emporium DLC. it's super useful, especially since the DA:I character creator is pretty detailed and you might want to move your nose just this one centimeter....

And yeah, in a game where body moficitaion and aesthetics supposedly are a really important part of the lore, it is super weird that you can't even change your hairstyle.

Legitimate question: Was this even ever promised or said by CDPR that it would be possible to do this?
Even if its a much desired feature, it doesn't mean anything by itself.
I get the impression this feature may be some upcoming DLC-esque thing, but at the same time maybe we may call ourselves lucky if it is implemented at all.

Top Bottom