Silent Protagonist?

+
Silent Protagonist?

I was wondering whats everyone thoughts on having a silent protagonist in Cyberpunk 2077? I take that if we can create/customize our own characters that it would be inevitable that our characters will be mute throughout the game. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but for some reason I find that a voiced protagonist can really bring the character/world alive while improving the sense of immersion in the game.... especially in a SciFi/cyberpunk world which made characters such as JC Denton, and Adam Jensen from the Deus Ex series likable.

Just curious on your thoughts, and of cd projekt 's if this was ever discussed during the brainstorming process or still is.

In the ideal scenario, it would be voiced PC, of both genders, as well executed as Michael Thorton from Alpha Protocol.

I can deal with silent PC, but I prefer voiced.

I'm mixed of feeling on this one. On the one hand, icons like Adam Jensen and Geralt of Rivia have convinced me a well-voiced character is a real pleasure to play.

On the other hand, when I play as Geralt, I think of myself as Geralt. Clashes somewhat with the build-your-own character approach.

A third option that might be presented is user-loaded voice files. Either self-created or from others, this allows the game to import your own voice choices for a percentage of the dialogue in the game.
That might seem crazy, but with modern bandwidth and hardware, it's quite feasible. I would direct your attention to the recent Interesting NPCs mod for Skyrim as an example.
You would only be voicing the one character, and could select what lines or what percentage you wish to read out. Plot-spoiler lines would typically be silent, of course, but much of the dialogue is not spoiler-specific.

It's a thought.

Mass Effect did both sexes with VO's just fine. As long as CDPR has the resources, I want voiced.

I don't think they did, but it's probably more due to the writing.

But my biggest gripe with it was that it made Shepard something between a set and blank slate, and it's very hard to do well lest it be confusing and annoying.

Madae

Forum veteran
I'd prefer silent... maybe a mix. Setup your character, see an intro movie where it shows your character speaking so you get an idea of what you sound like, and then all interactions thereafter that are not a cinematic of some sort are just silent.

Definitely voiced, maybe a choice of voices ( this has been done before but I can't remember which game it was).
I don't think this will be a problem to be honest if they strive the trailers graphics to be in game then it would look stupid if they don't have voiced players ( and NPC's)

Voices for the protagonist are great, but they eat up resources like crazy... If there are voices, there should be 2... a male and a female voice, as devoid of accent as possible.

I definitely prefer voices, but there are a lot of benefits to having a silent protagonist, or one who speaks via text like in Fallout... It allows for more options and choices in how the dialogue proceeds, as well it frees up a ton of resources that could be used to give us options elsewhere.

I am torn on the issue... but I definitely do not want the Saints Row route where you have seven voices to choice from, and no choices in what they are saying... not to mention they all sound like ridiculous stereotypes....

On the other hand, when I play as Geralt, I think of myself as Geralt. Clashes somewhat with the build-your-own character approach.
True. I think a couple of titles in the Saints Row franchise (SR2, SR3) addressed this pretty well; there were several voices you could choose at character creation. (Usually three male, three female, but there was nothing preventing you from using a "male" voice on a female character, or vice-versa.)

I'm not 100% married to the idea of a voiced protagonist; I could go either way. I felt connected to my 'toons in Fallout 3 / New Vegas, and that was just selecting speech trees from a list!

Do it Alpha Protocol style or Vampire the Masquerade bloodlines style.

i dont mind if my character talks, just as long as they say the stuff i want her/him to say.

IMO, CDPR can do voiced protagonists quite well, they've shown us this with the Witcher games. But should they decide to go for silent protagonist, that would be fine as well, both can function amazing if implemented well into the game.

A combination could work. During dialogue trees, choose the response and the NPC responds. During cutscenes and in-game, allow the PC to be voiced. This would cut down on the resources if necessary. If it's one or the other, I definitely prefer complete voice-over

Please, for sake of humanity and us, NO.
Having a silent protagonist might make it "easier" but then the character doesn't feel 'alive' and doesn't become memorable, even if the game is excellent. I faced the same problem playing Dishonored, while it is the #1 game (of mine) of 2012, making Corvo just kind of ruined it.

Well looking at CDP that is not likely so no sweat.

Voiced for sure. Cyberpunk is a game with character, style over substance, remember? So we need a protagonist with style and character and voice adds at least 87.8% to that ;)

Top Bottom