Simlas - Opinion from as a guy with 2850+ ST matches

+

rrc

Forum veteran
[Disclaimer: I am an ST main and hardcore ST fan if you didn't already know. The reason I am saying this is, I know the in and out of ST and deckbuilding with ST. Despite that I will try to be as unbiased as possible. Also, I wanted to wait till the last two cards are revealed, but I think it will come on Monday only. So, here it goes.]

First let me get some myths out:

Double Puffball: Absolutely horrible idea. Playing a 12P Legendary with two more 6P card to kill one single unit is absolutely laughably horrible. 'But what about the +6 potential damage?' you ask? Still absolutely horrible. It is a potential damage which will not be consistent and even with that 6 damage it is JUST horrible.

Double Talisman: This will seem viable option with elfs. But when you add two 7P card, you actually lose your ability to add other important cards like Yeaven/Isengrim since you need to have the scenario and Vernossil and Oneiro too. The deck would probably need to have twelve 4P cards which would suck. I can guarantee this wont fly. And you wouldn't add this in Nature'sGift deck as you are going anti-synergy with the leader.

Double Lacerete: Very meta dependent. Even a single Lacerete is no where seen. But if the meta becomes swarmy (strangely this card may encourage people to try and fail swarmy archetypes) this can be an option. But still it wont be a thing. People will try (I will try) and give up.

None of the above is worth it and will not be played. People will try, but they are not worth it and it wont win games for you. Now, lets come to the illusion of how this card will be used in NG (from now on NG = Nature's Gift). If you have never played ST or NG (Gift), you will think that Simlas can be played for 2 Rebukes to remove two targets or play two Dryad Caress for 16 points (provided there is a dryad on board). But that is not how you play NG decks. You would ideally want those Dryad Caress in your hand to support/enable Hammadryads. You ideally will play one Hammadryad in R1 with a Caress or Shaping Nature and the next in another round. You would want to play caress to remove lock or poison. In NG deck the 4p DryadCaress is an important card and not just a throw away mullion fodder. You will need rebukes in hand to take care of engines when they are played. You wouldn't wait for a turn to remove dangerous cards. So, if you think DryadCaress or Rebuke is a good target for him, you probably don't know how NG decks need to be played.

So, am I saying this card is unplayable? NO. This card is anti-synergetic with NG if you consider Rebuke or Caress or not worthy if you consider Lacerete, Talisman or Puffball. This card will be played as generic point slam card. I discussed this with Trynet on his stream and he made a good point. Consider this card like a portal. 12P card which can give a point slam 14 points. So, you can play two Pacts or Swallows :)shrug:because Neutrals are better than ST cards) for pointslam. You wouldn't want to add him in NG deck to play two Tempering as NG deck is already tightly packed and he may need Eithne removed which is not worth it. So, basically ST has got a generic pointslam card which can get the value of a Portal by adding Neutral 4P cards. I wont deny that he can be useful in no-unit decks to give +2 to Gord.

Based on the Epic card, he can actually become a good card or remain as a Portal for ST for R1 pointslam. Nothing to be excited about. And I swear to God I hope I am wrong and this card is made good/promising with the next two card reveals and the balances in the patch.

As a fellow ST fella, I can understand your concerns. If you take a look at the changes over the last, say, six months, ST is the faction that statistically gets the least changes or the changes really don't do anything or are simply bad. (Like the change to Forest Whisperer actually made the card even worse, making it only compatible with Hamadryad instead of movement...) (or making waylay a 4p card instead of buffing it otherwise, so now my Sorceress of Dol Dlathanna is not consistently pulling cards anymore... :giveup:) ST desperately needs buffs to be a contender again instead of a meme.

A good suggestion to make this card a STRONG card instead of, AGAIN, a potentially strong card would to make it target two bronzes instead of all copies or giving it more points to get it out of Coup (or Hen Gaith Sword) range.

BUT! If the next two reveals have some synergy with Simlas and you can put back spells from the graveyard to your deck or something, this card could be a Messiah to some ST archetypes.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
also a ST main here (although I have more wins on MO by now) and I think this card is actually kind of good, atleast in spellatael. like you said this card just plays for 14 with swallows, gives +2 to gord and also thins your deck by two 4p cards. Imo ST has the worst thinning tools so I like having a good thinner, even if you need him in r1 to get thinning value (like every thinning tool basically).
that being said, in terms of creativity there are a lot of problems mostly related to provision cost (you named a couple examples), so this card definitely doesnt look too interesting as for now.
I'd be really surprised if we dont see at least one ST bronze special in the package though.

• RED Point

I wont deny that he can be useful in no-unit decks to give +2 to Gord.
Yes, I think I might try him instead of the Forest Protector or Novi Justice in a Madoc/Schirru deck, but both spots are a bit awkward, and I already replaced the Protector with Wanderers anyway :D Not expecting this guy to stick, tbh

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
BUT! If the next two reveals have some synergy with Simlas and you can put back spells from the graveyard to your deck or something, this card could be a Messiah to some ST archetypes.
Yes, I too hope this happens which will make my opinion of this card to be super strong card from meh-ok-average-ST-portal.. fingers crossed
also a ST main here (although I have more wins on MO by now) and I think this card is actually kind of good, atleast in spellatael. like you said this card just plays for 14 with swallows, gives +2 to gord and also thins your deck by two 4p cards. Imo ST has the worst thinning tools so I like having a good thinner, even if you need him in r1 to get thinning value (like every thinning tool basically).
I'd be really surprised if we dont see at least one ST bronze special in the package though.
If all you want is a 12P thinning card which can play for 14 points, Portal is already there. Generic 14 points for 12P is not something to be excited about or called a good/OP card.

I am 99.99% sure that the rare card is a special card. And it would ideally be synergetic with the Seer. It should be some card which can be targetted to allies (may be both on allies and enemies, but it should be applicable to allies at least). If the next two cards are not Vanadain like cards (absolute horrible crappy card) and actually being synergetic good cards, then ST will get one deck at least to play next season.
Yes, I think I might try him instead of the Forest Protector or Novi Justice in a Madoc/Schirru deck, but both spots are a bit awkward, and I already replaced the Protector with Wanderers anyway :D Not expecting this guy to stick, tbh
Yes, Forest Protector is a sad card which is only worthy in Nature's Gift. I have that card in my Nature's Gift but time and again, bronze and epic cards get more value than this Legendary card. It is like, it will be worth it if you have multiple Symbiosis cards on board; the devs fix the cost of ST cards with all added synergies possible and the best case scenario and have been doing this for many many seasons.

[Disclaimer: I am an ST main and hardcore ST fan if you didn't already know. The reason I am saying this is, I know the in and out of ST and deckbuilding with ST. Despite that I will try to be as unbiased as possible. Also, I wanted to wait till the last two cards are revealed, but I think it will come on Monday only. So, here it goes.]

First let me get some myths out:

Double Puffball: Absolutely horrible idea. Playing a 12P Legendary with two more 6P card to kill one single unit is absolutely laughably horrible. 'But what about the +6 potential damage?' you ask? Still absolutely horrible. It is a potential damage which will not be consistent and even with that 6 damage it is JUST horrible.

Double Talisman: This will seem viable option with elfs. But when you add two 7P card, you actually lose your ability to add other important cards like Yeaven/Isengrim since you need to have the scenario and Vernossil and Oneiro too. The deck would probably need to have twelve 4P cards which would suck. I can guarantee this wont fly. And you wouldn't add this in Nature'sGift deck as you are going anti-synergy with the leader.

Double Lacerete: Very meta dependent. Even a single Lacerete is no where seen. But if the meta becomes swarmy (strangely this card may encourage people to try and fail swarmy archetypes) this can be an option. But still it wont be a thing. People will try (I will try) and give up.

None of the above is worth it and will not be played. People will try, but they are not worth it and it wont win games for you. Now, lets come to the illusion of how this card will be used in NG (from now on NG = Nature's Gift). If you have never played ST or NG (Gift), you will think that Simlas can be played for 2 Rebukes to remove two targets or play two Dryad Caress for 16 points (provided there is a dryad on board). But that is not how you play NG decks. You would ideally want those Dryad Caress in your hand to support/enable Hammadryads. You ideally will play one Hammadryad in R1 with a Caress or Shaping Nature and the next in another round. You would want to play caress to remove lock or poison. In NG deck the 4p DryadCaress is an important card and not just a throw away mullion fodder. You will need rebukes in hand to take care of engines when they are played. You wouldn't wait for a turn to remove dangerous cards. So, if you think DryadCaress or Rebuke is a good target for him, you probably don't know how NG decks need to be played.

So, am I saying this card is unplayable? NO. This card is anti-synergetic with NG if you consider Rebuke or Caress or not worthy if you consider Lacerete, Talisman or Puffball. This card will be played as generic point slam card. I discussed this with Trynet on his stream and he made a good point. Consider this card like a portal. 12P card which can give a point slam 14 points. So, you can play two Pacts or Swallows :)shrug:because Neutrals are better than ST cards) for pointslam. You wouldn't want to add him in NG deck to play two Tempering as NG deck is already tightly packed and he may need Eithne removed which is not worth it. So, basically ST has got a generic pointslam card which can get the value of a Portal by adding Neutral 4P cards. I wont deny that he can be useful in no-unit decks to give +2 to Gord.

Based on the Epic card, he can actually become a good card or remain as a Portal for ST for R1 pointslam. Nothing to be excited about. And I swear to God I hope I am wrong and this card is made good/promising with the next two card reveals and the balances in the patch.
I mentioned that tempering should boost by 6 and give 1 armor to dwarves. St bronzes struggle to play as 6 for 4 and that's terrible for faction cards in this meta.
Post automatically merged:

Also did you typo ST as NG? Confused...
Edit: Nvm NG is Natures Gift

Last edited:
  • RED Point
If all you want is a 12P thinning card which can play for 14 points, Portal is already there. Generic 14 points for 12P is not something to be excited about or called a good/OP card.

I am 99.99% sure that the rare card is a special card. And it would ideally be synergetic with the Seer. It should be some card which can be targetted to allies (may be both on allies and enemies, but it should be applicable to allies at least). If the next two cards are not Vanadain like cards (absolute horrible crappy card) and actually being synergetic good cards, then ST will get one deck at least to play next season.
I didnt say I want it, but the card is what it is, no? also this card is actually pretty different from portal. portal plays (random) units and tbh which units in ST work well with portal? miners and elder bears pog. the new card plays specials instead which actually has a lot of synergy in spellatael. gord, whisperer of dol blathanna (which can be double triggered even), elven scribe (I know the card sucks but who knows maybe it wont after the next package drops), francesca (to some extend) and the new 5p elven seer. portal has 0 synergy with any of those other than maybe summoning a scribe, which would be awkward bc you wouldnt want to wait 5 turns before playing specials.

I think this card will definitely see play in spellatael. if the archetype turns out to be good is yet to be seen.

• RED Point
Who knows, maybe there will even be buffs for the already existing specials since Spella'tael seems to be the direction this is going

• RED Point
Top Bottom