Skellige – HARD feelings. Needs rebalance!

+
Nerf this f**** bears, 12 points with no requirement that block frost also, this is unbearable!
:eredinfacepalm:

lakired;n10030981 said:
Veterans archetype fully removed from the game: vet tag removed, veterans changed to "support" tag only so BMs can't summon them and Freya can no longer rez them (only rezzes soldiers).

I also discovered that they no longer buff units in the graveyard, even though according to the text they should. What the hell is this? I mean with a certain deck even their nerfed version can be somewhat powerful (with Eist guaranteeing one, even though he shouldn't), but this is ridiculous. Right now I think Veternas are simply broken - their intended design is garbage and is made even more garbage by the bugs.

veterans now work with bears, unbearable meta again.
i dont know why the buffed savage bears with 2points, you cant muzle them

Pruny;n10076421 said:
veterans now work with bears, unbearable meta again.
i dont know why the buffed savage bears with 2points, you cant muzle them

Svage Bear was trash before and now its an alright card, it still doesnt hit units that arent played from hand so its not that great.

Btw they managed to nerf the worst leader, Harald is even worst than before. Eist is the way to go if you want to play Axeman lmao

also why is the bear from beast master cursed?? has insane sinergy with marauders
:mean:

Pruny;n10081301 said:
also why is the bear from beast master cursed?? has insane sinergy with marauders
:mean:

Funny, I asked myself the same question.
The bear from the Young Berserkers? sure, makes sense, 1OO% but from Beast masters it makes no sense whatsoever...

Skellige main problem is they have no removal, and the Legendary are to weak. Most of the time they play Neutral. When i see Nilfgard i see only there legendarys. Just compare Ulfhedin with Vandergrift. Birna Bran and Coral just spawns a neutral card. Only Vabjorn can remove shit but every high unit is boosted so it dosnt work, even Hjalmar is most useless now because almost everyone can boost Undvik so u cant remove him maybe only with lugos.

Like how can Skellige ever remove the drake Villentretenmerth when u have no lock in the deck? Most dmg u can do is Lugos discard 12 Str bronze. Nilfgard just needs 1 bronze Enforcer or 1 witcher with 13 alch cards. Or Fire Scorpion that got as bronze a 15 - 20 stat value and u even can choose the target, why not making is random target? While skellige hunter has a 11 value with no more effects. Just so many low value cards from skellige. When u play bears and the enemy elf got 3 scorch then u are fucked. They nerf Freya so u can only revive soldiers but why can the medic revive everything? why not like "only nilfgard units" or "only spy" why do they have to revive your buffed win condition u used 2 rounds and many card on to win round 3. When i play greatsword with ship almost everyone removes it easy with evey bronze card they have in hand. When some1 plays like the drake Ocvist i cant remove him with anything maybe with thunder but thunder alone with no spawn is just bad. These are my thoughts atm about skellige.

I want an explanation.

Some of the SK units had a tag, named "veteran", that made some units, like Bran Tuirseach or Veterans, to strengthen themselves by 1 point when a new round starts.

You removed this unique mechanic from the game with your last patch.

Why.

In fact, I would like you to explain all of your super intelligent balance changes you have made recently. I would like to know why you buried so many decent archetipes, like Greatswords, Cerys decks, Veterans+Skirmishers...

When you apply changes to the game, do you even think about them for 2 seconds?

It does not surprise me that even the most competitive players are divesting themselves of all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because you want a explanation does not mean they will go out of the way to give you one when they are super busy. Most likely those archetype will come back with future patch and hotfixes

dragoonzen;n10184162 said:
Just because you want a explanation does not mean they will go out of the way to give you one when they are super busy. Most likely those archetype will come back with future patch and hotfixes

The are not "super busy". They have done nothing in Christmas.

DARKBRINGERxX;n10059871 said:
Has anyone noticed how worthless Eist the new SK leader is? and the Clan veterans don't strengthen him. what the hell is that? HE IS EIST "TURSIEACH" WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT GETTING STRENGTHENED TOO?!!? its the mans fucking last name how do you screw that up?? plus give us back the Veteran tag atleast on Tursieach units.
​​​​​​

Actually Eist is strengthened, provided you play him first. His being a leader card must prevent them from hitting him for some reason, but it works if he's on the board.

BeHamUt86;n10172242 said:
Skellige main problem is they have no removal, and the Legendary are to weak. Most of the time they play Neutral. When i see Nilfgard i see only there legendarys. Just compare Ulfhedin with Vandergrift. Birna Bran and Coral just spawns a neutral card. Only Vabjorn can remove shit but every high unit is boosted so it dosnt work, even Hjalmar is most useless now because almost everyone can boost Undvik so u cant remove him maybe only with lugos.

Like how can Skellige ever remove the drake Villentretenmerth when u have no lock in the deck? Most dmg u can do is Lugos discard 12 Str bronze. Nilfgard just needs 1 bronze Enforcer or 1 witcher with 13 alch cards. Or Fire Scorpion that got as bronze a 15 - 20 stat value and u even can choose the target, why not making is random target? While skellige hunter has a 11 value with no more effects. Just so many low value cards from skellige. When u play bears and the enemy elf got 3 scorch then u are fucked. They nerf Freya so u can only revive soldiers but why can the medic revive everything? why not like "only nilfgard units" or "only spy" why do they have to revive your buffed win condition u used 2 rounds and many card on to win round 3. When i play greatsword with ship almost everyone removes it easy with evey bronze card they have in hand. When some1 plays like the drake Ocvist i cant remove him with anything maybe with thunder but thunder alone with no spawn is just bad. These are my thoughts atm about skellige.

Coral is one of the most powerful and versatile golds in the game. She is a point-click-boom removal of that one non-gold card that's bothering you, and she's usually a massive power swing a la scorch. Difference is, what Coral hits isn't coming back ever.

Hym is unarguably excellent.

Olaf is one of the most powerful finishers in the game currently and has no drawback save needing to play beasts.

Ulfhedin requires a bit of building around him but the use of a single tremors makes him as powerful as Ithlinne, unlike Vandergrift who requires massive set up on any board that doesn't have a lot of little critters AND multiple additional rounds for the likely one row of ragnaroog to actually add up to much. He's fun but gimmicky and only really works in the machine deck because it does tons of little points of damage.

Birna Bran creates the game's best non-gold weather on a 6 point body. She's not a staple card but she sees regular play in all sorts of SK decks, and is a must in weather axemen.

Most decks run at least one neutral gold, so that's neither here nor there. You are somewhat hyperbolic, and not assessing the cards well.

Skellige also has some of the game's most powerful silvers, and some excellent bronzes. Now you're right that many Skellige bronzes are falling behind curve. Especially damage bronzes like the Brokvar hunter. I suspect this is because they're meant to be used in the Eist variant of veteran soldiers, as that deck can boost them to having a base power of 10-13 quite comfortably, at which point they're really quite good. The deck itself is... not. But you need to think about context. If their base power was higher, Eist veterans would make a lot of Skellige soldiers obscenely powerful.

The loss of the veterancy ability and damage synergy is regrettable, and I think it was done without enough forethought. The faction feels a bit floaty at the minute. Lots of bits hanging around and not quite coming together as a solid whole anymore, with lots of cards that don't seem to have a solid home. But in and of itself, the cards aren't in a bad place. They're just lacking proper synergy due to changes.

Skellige Changes Too Far?

So I went to play an Axemen deck today and the amount of changes to the core Skellige deck is insane.

Battle Maiden can no longer draw any unit.
Sigdrifa no longer resurrects any SK unit.
Freya no longer resurrects any unit.

I was playing away and tried to pull a Veteran with a Battlemaiden, oops, can't do that anymore.

Tried to resurrect Gremist with Sigdrifa. Oops. Can't do that anymore.

The limitations placed on these cards have gone too far in my opinion. I mean to nerf ONE of these cards by forcing a limitation in what it can resurrect was probably needed, but to completely change the SK res engine is just like...wow. I mean were these in the patch notes? I ask because I don't remember such widespread changes being documented.

Any thoughts people? Are these changes too much?

I think it's fair for at least the Freyas to be able to resurrect Support Units too.

I feel that some of the changes were needed and were for good (Freyas not able to resurrect Machines), but the atrocities with especially the Veterans I can't explain.

partci;n10235002 said:
I think it's fair for at least the Freyas to be able to resurrect Support Units too.

I feel that some of the changes were needed and were for good (Freyas not able to resurrect Machines), but the atrocities with especially the Veterans I can't explain.

I know what you mean. They pretty much killed the Veteran archetype by removing the "Veteran" tag from the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I'll repeat what i already said: Sigdrifa should be able to ressurect ANY bronze or silver SK unit, at least (its acceptable she cant rez neutral or other faction units)

And only just recently did i realize - now there's no bronze card able to ressurect support units! And no one wants to waste Siggy on rezzing a bronze. Priestesses ressurrect soldiers, Bone Talisman rez Beasts or Svalbod, and that pirate guy rezzes machines (a.k.a. boats), but its stupid none of those can rez supports.

DRK3;n10237442 said:
I'll repeat what i already said: Sigdrifa should be able to ressurect ANY bronze or silver SK unit, at least (its acceptable she cant rez neutral or other faction units)

And only just recently did i realize - now there's no bronze card able to ressurect support units! And no one wants to waste Siggy on rezzing a bronze. Priestesses ressurrect soldiers, Bone Talisman rez Beasts or Svalbod, and that pirate guy rezzes machines (a.k.a. boats), but its stupid none of those can rez supports.
I agree with your post 100%. I have said as much before in the topic "changes to Freya and Sigdrifa." I am glad there are some people on this sub-forum that seem to agree that CDPR went a little too far with the nerfs to Freya and Sig because I started to feel like the only one on this forum who felt that way. As I said before, there was a middle ground for Freya and Sig between the old versions and the new versions of those units, but instead they excessively nerfed them IMO.

Sigrdrifa should indeed res any SK unit. The only argument for the change - to me - is that before she was as powerful as a gold, but Shani resurrects with a bonus, and Siggy doesn't. That seems good enough to me. And SK should definitely have a support resurrecter. In a format where Ointment is leading to 3-5 unit resurrect/summon chains, I see no problem with SK being able to get their own support units (who are usually deck thinners and summoners) out of the yard.

I've been wondering about ways to change/update/improve SK resurrection that isn't simply 'let Freya do everything', but it's in a tough position now. A third rez unit is a bridge too far I think.

I wonder if bringing back faction abilities might be worthwhile. You could definitely do something with resurrection there.

I think SK decks are quite strong, but players need to know much more about the deck and the different combos of a monsters deck, for example.

Guys, honestly, it might sound weird, but Harald is INSANE.

I've just been trying him out, and honestly, it's the most fun I've had forever!

Granted, he is possibly the hardest deck to play in Gwent not just now, but quite possibly ever.
But if you learn how to play, if you master this deck, there is no stopping you other than overteched opponents. Even in a format with a ton of removal like this, I just won against Alchemy.

His winrate in the highest ranks is almost 53%, only RIGHT behind the top tier decks. You just won't see him a lot in European/Chinese servers because what popularized him was the WH North American Tournament. The list and the guide this guy offers is very VERY interesting. And the best part? It's not a real Harald deck :p that's why it's so good.

Top Bottom