Skellige Hotfix!

+

Guest 4368268

When the game told me an update was available I was pretty relieved. I wasn't actually expecting a hotfix.
I think they've done really well. I agree with all of these changes. After having played both with and against SK Warriors I can say it was definitely in the top 5 broken decks in HC and we've seen some really silly stuff in the past.
The point slam combined with the control was way out of control. Let's see how they'll do until the end of the month from here.

I like that they let the faction and deck stay strong while bringing them back in line. A better approach than the Harmony one.

Way too lazy. I'm almost starting to think they're trolling their own playerbase at this point. That Wild Boar change is another case of too little game knowledge on the devs part. Their entire approach to balancing needs to be re-evaluated.
They need to own up to the fact that the Vabjorn change was a mistake. It's not too late.

So Wild Boar gets buffed to be more accessible, without losing efficiency (arguably the efficiency would even improve).

Blacksmith gets the same treatment as old Portal abusers and is now comparable to Impera Enforcer.

Stunning Blow is now not over the top removal anymore, considering that the damage Specials for 4p are otherwise deal 4, sometimes deal 6.

Blood Eagle is more expensive and honestly still worth it.

Harald is toned down a little and closer (in terms of its power) to other evolving cards (though propably still the best).

Patricidal Fury gets toned down by 1 provision as well.

All in all the new Tier 0 deck we were all "loving ..." loses 3 provisions, 2 points of ceiling on Stunning Blow and 2 more points on top end Golds (which are still among their best).
Once Second Wind gets completely reworked Greatswords might be tolerable as well.
However all in all this seems like a step in the right direction.

This looks decent on paper. Shouldn't have touched the Boar, and should have removed the bloodthirst condition from Blood Eagle, but good changes otherwise. Might have raised Lugos to 9, but maybe he'll be ok with the other changes.

An Craite Blacksmith - 4 ->5 prov
-> This makes the card too expensive.
Stunning Blow - 7->6 dmg
-> Reasonable and already suggested by me
Blood Eagle - 10->11 prov
-> Reasonable
Harald an Craite - 6-> 5 power
-> What the fuck?! Why should Harald as an evolving card having less power than other evolving card (his passive ability is even weaker than Auberon and Jacques as it does not have pinging dmg anymore
Wild Boar of the Sea - 4->3 power / 12->11 prov
-> WTF! Why should this card be buffed. The 2nd strike should get initiative
Patricidal Fury - provision 16->15
-> Reasonable

Yeah, Blacksmisth will be unplayable now, especially since he can't be replayed as he doesn't carry a warrior tag. Harald gets screwed, again.

NG apparently is still the favored faction by the devs as it still is untouched...

For the love of god,NG are the ones who need to be nerfed,not skelige.What are doing in this company? Have you ever played gwent,or you just writing the code?

Everybody is playing NG (because it have everything and is it nonsense) or SK because it is now OP. Gwent is good game but unplayable. Every fun deck have no chance. MO are sooo bad and even nerfed. I dont understand why. Ruined for me and not fun to play against few OP decks again and again and get rekt ..

Blacksmith is still very powerful just in terms of points generated and the ability to hold charges allows it to preserve other valuable units. 5 provisions is still to cheap.

Harold deserves to be six power of other evolving cards.

The problem with both Harold and Blacksmith is too many warriors that are too powerful. Removing warrior tags from half the current units would be a good start. If I didn’t miscount, there are 47 different SK warrior units. This is way too many. Not only does it allow an entire deck to be built exclusively of warriors, it provides too many triggers for blacksmith, too many targets for Harold and and too many options for blood eagle. The game will never reach its potential until developers address issues of tags.

The other half of the issue is too many tutors — especially those that carry value in themselves (Vabjorn) and those that replay (blood eagle, Oneiromancy). Reworking those might solve a lot of issues.

rrc

Forum veteran
I really can't understand SK players complaining about Blacksmith and Harald.

Blacksmith was such an overtuned card and no other faction had such an engine at 4P. Now he is kind of fairly priced. But I can understand if SK players get offended if they are asked to play fair priced card like other factions. Targeted boost and such an easy condition and coming with a charge is just too damn much.

Harald plays for 15 on deploy and then syngergizes with a hell lot of powerful cards and all for 11 provisions. He should be 13 Provisions and still be auto-included in all SK decks.

Stunning Blow change is irrelevant. No card comes with a necessity of 7 damage. Most gold engines which have armor has only 6 power in total and SB is still going to destroy them. A fair change should have been SB provision raised to 5P and doing 5 (+2 if it has armor).

Wild Boar Buff kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it was only reduced to 3 power, it would have been fair. Why the hell should it get a provision buff? It basically makes the Blood Eagle change irrelevant.

PF change is good. Overall, a decent attempt, but I think it is still not going to have have much impact on SK's dominance.

I'm not a fan of the Harald change and agree that he should be more in line with the other evolving cards -> 6 power, but proc his damage off of units with the veteran tag since that was the new tag introduced with him. Remove warrior tags from some currently under-utilized units and replace those with the veteran tag to expand his pool of synergistic cards. Basically use Harald to develop a Veteran archetype.

Morkvag should get the Vissegerd treatment. If Vissegerd was too powerful being able to deal a max of 17 damage without having to wait a turn (despite needing massive setup), then Morkvag should be an order unit as well. He's doubly dangerous since he's always paired with a GS or Dagur.

I stated it earlier, but Wild Boar really needs to deploy only to one row instead of both. The Boar + Dagur combo is responsible for some of the largest point swings I've seen in Gwent, rivaled only by Yrden. In fact, I was on the wrong side of a 48 point swing from that combo in a game just today (64 points if you count the Reckless Flurry fired off just prior to card deployment that damaged 6 cards for the Boar's first wave).

Actually, that seems like a great hotfix. Good job, CDPR.

Losing Blacksmith and one of the mid provision cards due to the provision nerfs might be enough but still not bricking the whole deck like what happened to harmony. I think Harald can be safely reverted back to 6 next patch - to keep things aesthetic (and out of 5p removal).

I also think the changes were appropriate. I mostly main Skellige, and the only thing I would have done differently is give both Harald and Stunning Blow +1 Provision cost instead of the -1 Power/Damage. I liked that all of the evolving cards were the same power, outside of the standard removal range, and Stunning Blow is just too good at 4-Provisions.

Also, for some reason, these nerfs look like they made Skellige more popular. I wanted to try out my deck after the changes, and I faced a constant stream of other Skellige Devotion decks. It seemed far less popular at the lowest ranks over the last couple of weeks than it does now, after all the adjustments. Very peculiar.

Top Bottom