Skelliges Discard now nerfed into the ground

+
Skelliges Discard now nerfed into the ground

Hello all,

With Ermion, Svanrige, Clan Dimun Pirate, War Longship AND An Craite Raider severly nerfed, is this deck even playable anymore?
i tried and failed miserably in comparison to the deck before. I understand that the deck was a Top-Tier-Deck before and was hard to beat if you draw well, but with all cards of this deck that make it playable being nerfed, isn't that way to much? Why so much hate for this deck?

The main nerfs i appeal to in this thread are the Ermion nerf and the Svanrige nerf.
If you play the deck you really only want to hit your discards on the Raiders or Tuirseach Skirmishers. Everything else usually hurts your hand or doesnt belong in your deck anyway. With the way Ermion and Svanrige work now, you often dont get the chance to hit the right targets. Especially if you run a couple of discarding cards, Last Wish and Brans ability for instance. The way they work now you discard your good cards in hand and are stuck with low power raiders and skirmishers. And since discarding is a Skellige only theme, why does Last Wish perform as before, which is neutral, and Skellige now has the bad version? Are the strength nerfs to the other cards not enough?
The other nerfs are debateable, even understandable if you look at them selective, but as a whole the deck is near death.

I know that there still is the Pirate Captain, but usually it can get scorched or removed in any way pretty easily, since it starts with low power and rises to be the top power on the board pretty fast.
And come on guys. Nothing is as bad as constant weather bombardment together with drowners. That even did not got touched... hooray everybody now runs 3x First Light and Dimeritium Bombs!!!

Old Decklist:
(Not completly refined, and 27 cards due to being frustrated and adding more First Lights)
3x Clan An Craite Raider
3x Clan Dimun Pirate
2x Clan Dimun Pirate Captain
3x Clan Tuirseach Skirmisher
Ermion
Svanrige
3x Priestess of Freya
Restore
Sigrdrifa
3x War Longship
Geralt
Ciri
Yennefer
Last Wish
Scorch
3x First Light
Decoy
with Bran as Leader

What are your thoughts? Is it still playable and what would you improve if you want to keep using the discard-mechanic?
Best regards

Laveley;n7293150 said:
You guys need to adapt. Full discard is done, the nerf on cards like ermion is very harsh. However now you got a super strong hjalmar and coral together with weather immune cards, an skellige control deck now may be actually possible...

Thats true, Laveley, but two cards are not an archetype of a deck. You still need to draw these two out of 25.
I see that discard was too strong in its old form, but all the nerfs together really render that mechanic and with that the whole deck-type useless. Maybe it feels worse than it actually is, but i didn't felt that it was that overpwoered.

There is no choice other than to adapt and control sounds lovely in my ears. Guess i have to mill the now useless rares to get the legendaries...

BrotherJohn;n7293360 said:
Thats true, Laveley, but two cards are not an archetype of a deck. You still need to draw these two out of 25

Do you really want i list all the weather immune + control ones? i just listed those 2 because they are the most important ones, you can make the deck gravitate around them as other decks gravitate around their powerful golds.

BrotherJohn;n7293360 said:
Thats true, Laveley, but two cards are not an archetype of a deck. You still need to draw these two out of 25.
I see that discard was too strong in its old form, but all the nerfs together really render that mechanic and with that the whole deck-type useless. Maybe it feels worse than it actually is, but i didn't felt that it was that overpwoered.

There is no choice other than to adapt and control sounds lovely in my ears. Guess i have to mill the now useless rares to get the legendaries...

Skellige for a long time had the luxury of fully or nearly fully drawing their entire deck every game. Very rich of you to complain about actually having to draw specific cards to make a deck work. Welcome to the rest of the factions.

I've been refusing to play the lazy discard "strategy" ever since I assembled my custom Skellige deck. As ThreePi says, is it so hard to use cards that force you to think how to make your deck work and not simple rinse-and-repeat "mechanics"?

Skellige is still really strong, but you can't be a 100% discard monkey anymore. The old discard deck was one step above weather monsters in terms of difficulty, and you could play it like a robot for great results. Skellige still has the tools to be successful, but they actually have to be thought through and timed correctly now. Old Skellige was so boring to play against, you couldn't tell one player from another. I think as new Skelli strategies trickle down from the top of the ladder they will pick back up as a dominant faction. I'm just really happy that when I go into a Skellige game now, I don't know what to expect from them.

Having just started three days ago and only knowing what the cards do now, My Skellige deck is pretty good and I'm missing a lot of the good epics/legendaries still

I guess Laveley and the others have a point but does anyone use Ermion or Svaringe after the patch? They seem like a big gamble to me right now.

wolfi.ds;n7342940 said:
I guess Laveley and the others have a point but does anyone use Ermion or Svaringe after the patch? They seem like a big gamble to me right now.

I tested Ermion after the patch and after a few matches i kciked him from my deck.

wolfi.ds;n7342940 said:
I guess Laveley and the others have a point but does anyone use Ermion or Svanrige after the patch? They seem like a big gamble to me right now.

I use them both, In multiple decks. They are still strong - just different. You have to think of them like additional mulligans, tailoring your hand after the round begins.

The problem is that even skellige weather deck is a discard deck. Skellige had 2 different strats merged into a single go. It feels like a one trick pony right now. The only variety I see with other skellige decks is : Does he have Harold when I am stll running Bran? Harold is a 2nd aard right now, which basically makes Skellige weather a pretty big monster.

But if your the mes of the world, who can't afford Harold or Coral right now, it's pretty heavy RNG. You miss the golds, you miss the weathers, you miss the discards - pick any 1 of those 3 and you're really just keeping your fingers crossed that the other guy missed his draws too.

I had almost the same deck as in OP, but scrapped it for another discard deck once I get Cerys from the keg. Now it's about her, Queensguard and Light Longship - very efficient with all Mardroemes and Shieldsmiths against weather and control decks.

Top Bottom