"Skill beats luck."

+
"Skill beats luck."

Does anyone else remember this advert? I was suddenly reminded of it looking at old gameplay footage of gwent.

I find myself giggling at how ironic it is with modern gwent.

nunqmuo;n10546232 said:
"Skill beats Luck"
Yea...Maybe in another game...:smile:

You're right im sure this game requires 0 skill ;) absolutely none, so the same people generally speaking are always at the top of the ladders cause of being lucky all the time for over a year. Yup, you're totally right. (Just a FYI this is obviously sarcastic)

I mean, there's still some cards that rely on "skill" rather than luck. Unfortunately, Create cards really caught on. I'm not against it but I can see why a lot of people complain about this feature. I still think Gwent was always pretty RNG ish.

In the long run, skill always beats luck. However, luck will always remain a part of any CCG.

Guest 4021160

Void_Singer;n10547842 said:
Consistent luck beats skill though = D

Test it. Go shopping leaving your wallet behind. Take a pound/dollar/euro for instant lottery ticket. Take full basket of groceries and buy a ticket at the till.

HenryGrosmont;n10547642 said:
In the long run =/= grind In the long run = large sample So... if we take a 100 games over 10, skill beats luck.

With shorter seasons is harder to get the "large" sample size, at least for me. Skill, luck and a proper deck are all relevant ingredients.

But do you know what the most important ingredient in gingerbr... of ladder is?
Time.

Karolis.petrikas;n10547912 said:
Test it. Go shopping leaving your wallet behind. Take a pound/dollar/euro for instant lottery ticket. Take full basket of groceries and buy a ticket at the till.
I never claimed to have consistent good luck myself... if I did I'd be busy playing multiple lotteries and skydiving = D

it all depends on your definition of 'skill'. if by that is meant the size of your legendary collection, then yes. otherwise, no.

HenryGrosmont;n10546782 said:
I don't like the "create" idea, at all. Over the long run, skill still beats luck. But the gap is closer now.

Same here; I absolutely detest "create" as a mechanic; bronze cards that can do this (Slave Driver/Elven Scout etc.) are the absolute worst idea ever in Gwent imho. I don't use them at all; I messed around with the Runestone for a while, but found it generally unreliable - there are other silver cards that are reliable that I can use in that slot... and sometimes I've just had to say "Whatever" (or words to that effect - if I gave voice to my full invective here, I'd probably get banned, so 'whatever' will have to cover it :) ) when oppo rolls into Coral R3 when he's playing NR with no AC and goes on to win because of it, or rolls a weather clear off a runestone when he didn't have one in deck... etc.

Sure, it adds a 'random' effect into the game and may be more "fun" for some players, but I've said this before; it's like a 3rd person is deciding who's going to win the game, and to me that feels just... well, wrong.

Top Bottom